It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

Okiemom2005 HB User
Sharp chest pains with mvp???? HELP I'M SCARED

I have lived with my mvp mitral valve prolapse for almost 14 years now. I was diagnosed when I was 18 and I am now 31.
I am pretty active and try to stay healthy and eat healthy. With my mvp I have occassionally gotten a tightness in my chest and short of breath and dizziness sometimes because of mvp
Two days ago at work I was just sitting at my desk and for a moment I got a very sharp pain in my chest and it went away after about a minute.
Later that night at home it did the same thing for only a few seconds.
Is that from mvp, anxiety or what?
I just recently went through very nervewracking experience for me at the dentist, I hate the dentist, I started shaking very badly I was so scared.
The assistants offered me nitrous oxide but I said no, I didn't know if I would like it or not, maybe I should have taken it.
Well that same night I went to work and this happened. My heart started hammering in my chest and I panicked and left to go home but even when I got home and relaxed it did it again.
I didn't think it was anything, I didn't feel funny other than the pains, I didn't get short of breath or dizzy or anything else.
Has anyone else ever had these symptoms with their mvp?
I am just very worried. I can't afford to go to my primary care doc, I could barely afford the dentist.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
(female)

hypokelly HB User
Re: Sharp chest pains with mvp???? HELP I'M SCARED

because of being at the dentist....I'm concerned about endocarditis!
Did you have an antibiotic before the procedure?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
(female)

Okiemom2005 HB User

I actually thought about the same thing. Yes, he started me on antibiotics 2 days before he pulled the tooth.
I only had those chest pains twice that day and I have felt fine since so I don't know if was anxiety or what.
Other than the antibiotics making me sick at my stomach I am fine now.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
(female)

Okiemom2005 HB User

What do you think my doc might do if I went in and told him I am having chest pains or was that day?
He knows me very well, he's been my doctor for over 10 years.
Will he admit me to the hospital or since I am fine now put me back on meds and send me home?

Old 05-29-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Okiemom, I, too, have MVP. I was diagnosed at 28 & am now 50. I went to the dentist recently, also, and was given antibiotics. Now, I'm gonna tell you right off the bat, I hate dentists. But I was having a problem & couldn't avoid it any longer. So I took the antibiotics as prescribed. I didn't get any nausea, but did have the worst chest pain from the antibiotics (or anxiety??). MVP can cause angina-like pains.
As a person with MVP, do all you can to understand it. There are a few good books out there on it that have helped me out a lot, and explained a lot of the symptoms I've experienced over the years.
I think it would be a wise idea to get checked by your dr just to make sure everything is fine, though. I understand the expense is a factor, but your health is important. At the very minimum they should do an ekg and blood work, and an echocardiogram would be a great diagnostic tool, too. Maybe even a stress test, although I have never had one and my PCP is a cardiologist, as well as an internist.
Although, some people with MVP develop regurgitation, most do not. There are milions of people (mostly women) with MVP out there, who have very mild symptoms, if any.
Definitly call your dr and at least explain what is going on...and take it from there.
If you are fine now, I doubt they would admit you to a hospital. Testing is usually done in the drs office.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #6
(female)

Okiemom2005 HB User

I remember when my doc told me I had mvp after what seemed like a million tests he said that if it is in the lower ventricle of your heart it is worse that if it is in the upper ventricle. He said he was hoping it was lower but turned out it was.
How do I know if I have regurgitation with mvp? Does it cause other symptoms.
I also hate the dentist and I had to go because I couldn't wait any longer I was in pain. I would rather have a million shots that go to the dentist. lol
I am supposed to be on Atenolol for my heart but usually my doc will just refill it on the phone if I call him and let him know I'm out. I haven't seen him since last year and he just wants to check me to make sure everything is ok before he represcribes.
Thanks for everyones replys.

Old 05-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

I think the only way to tell if there is regurgitation is with the echocardiogram.
I tried the Atenolol, too, but hated it so just live with the palpitations. I can avoid the palps with lots of water, avoiding alcohol, chocolate, & caffeine (all hard to do).
So I take it you will see your dr? That's good. Always better to be on the safe side.
Good Luck to you.

Old 05-30-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
(female)

Silver2sea HB User

Okiemom,
I think he'll order some tests but he can't do that until you go see him. It could be nothing but with the previous diagnosis, you need to go see him ASAP.

After you call him first thing in the morning, let us know how you're feeling! Good luck!

Closed Thread