It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
(female)

Krishon HB User
Question Heart Attack

My boyfriend is 51 years old and he went to the emergency room with terrible chest pains. They didn't check his blood enzymes to see if he was having a heart attack, which I think is a mistake on their part. Now it is a week later and his ankles and feet are so swollen and he gets slight chest pains on and off. He is going for an echocardiagram but I am so worried. I know CHF can cause swelling but can a heart attack without CHF cause swelling of the feet and ankles or just CHF, if it is his heart which I think it is by the pain I saw him in?
Krishon

Old 06-01-2005, 05:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Heart Attack

Anything that interferes with the hearts ability to pump well is apt to cause swollen ankles. Since a heart attack CERTAINLY qualifies in that group, I'm sure it is quite possible that he had a heart attack.

What exactly did they DO for him in that E/R. Gee, if a 51 year old man with extreme chest pain doesn't qualify for a blood draw, who does?
Sounds like you went to a hospital run by MONTY PYTHON!

Last edited by Lenin; 06-01-2005 at 05:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote: I know CHF can cause swelling but can a heart attack without CHF cause swelling of the feet and ankles or just CHF, if it is his heart which I think it is by the pain I saw him in?

A symptom of a heart attack is not swelling of the feet. Swelling of the feet could indicate CHF as you know, kidneys and liver. A blood test could rule out kidney failure.

Obstruction of blood flow through the liver can cause fluid buildup in the legs/feet. I believe a blood test would aid a diagnosis.

As a preliminary, ER should have observed signs of heart failure that include pitting (able to make indentation of skin at site) edema, stethoscope sounds, and distended neck veins.

And you are correct a blood test for troponin levels would be positive for an acute heart attack (MI). Also CK-MB high would indicate dead heart tissue if treatment wasn't timely. .

For perspective I went into ER a year ago for mild pulmonary edema. I had an EKG, chest X-rays, complete blood test, and an echo all within a very short time span (never left the hospital). It was determine I had had a silent (no pain) heart attack sometime in the past due to coronary artery blockages, and I was now in CHF. If my symptom had been chest pains, I would not expect any different procedure to rule out or in any critical possibilities. It doesn't make medical sense to be treated any differently! Severe chest pains (angina) is a strong indication of coronary artery blockage,and if not treated promptly could lead to heart muscle damage.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
(female)

Krishon HB User
Question Re: Heart Attack

I want to thank all of you for your information. I thought that CHF causes swelling and not just a heart attack alone. I am so worried and frustrated because they still didn't do any tests but a blood test today for his liver and maybe his kidneys, I didn't think of that. So far no echo Cardiogram, nothing. today he was out of breath just walking a little. This is a man who can walk miles. No one will listen to me in there. They just ask me if I am a doctor. Well, I'm not but I know that something is terribly wrong. I do know somewhat about the heart. As for what they did in the emergency room, they took a cardio gram, and hooked him up to a monitor and gave him medicine to sleep. I went wild. I kept telling them that they should talk a blood test and a nurse said the doctor would be right in. He did come in but he said he will take the test when he woke up. They never did take the test and believe me I really was questioning them and I was on there back but they wouldn't do it. You see we had been out and he had some drinks so they were blaming the liquor. No way is it that because I never saw anyone in pain like this because they had some drinks. They just ignored him basically because of that. I had not been drinking and I told them that they were not imaginary pains, I mean he was screeming, that's why they gave him medicine to sleep. Believe me it was not from drinking. They are supposed to give him tests tomorrow and if they don't, they are going to here my voice. I just Pray that not much damage was done to his heart. I just know it is his heart. If it isn't then I can't imagine what a heart attack looks like. Thank you again. Ken what does CK-MB high mean?
Thank You all so much I am very very worried and scared.
Krishon

Old 06-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Hi Krishon,

Sorry for your frustration. CK-MB is a cardiac biomarker; it is associated with the heart function, damage or failure. Cardiac biomarkers are enzymes, proteins, and hormones. I believe I read on another thread it is an enzyme. Either an enzyme or protein. More importantly it is proper medical protocol to test a patient with chest pains (and shortness of breath) to determine the presence or severity of an acute heart condition as soon as possible so the proper treatment can be started. It is a simple inexpensive blood test.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:43 AM   #6
(female)

Krishon HB User
Question Re: Heart Attack

Thank You Ken,
They finally took tests of my boyfriends kidneys and liver to see if that is what is making his feet sweel. Thy are crazy because he had pains in his chest so they should have given him test for the heart not the kidneys or liver. He still didn't have an echo cardiogram. What is wrong with the medical foeld. This is supposed to be the best hospital in the state I live in, that's scary.

If they had given him the Proper tests right away could they have prevented CHF or would he have gotten that anyway? I don't even know if that is what he has but I know a bit about the heart and I do believe he has that. I am heart broken because this happened to him plus he won't be able to do his job, it is all manually labor plus they give him a free apartment. If he can't work it takes years to go on disability am I correvt? He can't even live with me because I live in an elderly home, I take care of my Mother abd they only allow a person to live with you for two weeks. I am so worried about his health but where is he going to go if he can't do his job? He is 51 no one will hire him in an easier job. He loves his job. He believes he had a heart attack but he hasn't thought about CHF. I am so sick and worried. You see I know what CHF is because my Mother has it and I know he won't be able to keep his job. Sorry, I'm venting to you but I want to thank you for everything. If you know if a person can get on disability sooner that a few years because of the situation, would you please let me know.
God Bless You Ken and Take care of yourself,
Be Healthy,
Krishon

Old 06-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

From the American Heart Association:

Quote:
Congestive Heart Failure

Congestive heart failure (CHF), or heart failure, is a condition in which the heart can't pump enough blood to the body's other organs. This can result from
narrowed arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle — coronary artery disease.
past heart attack, or myocardial infarction, with scar tissue that interferes with the heart muscle's normal work.
I think it's quite likely that ANY heart attack, however recent that has killed a part of the heart will result in decreased pumping ability and thus allow for pooling of blood in the extremities.

Closed Thread