It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
(male)

fry HB User
can someone explain about my BP readings

I've posted on here before regarding the thumps and fluttery feelings I get but this is purely a question about blood pressure.

Firstly can anyone relate to the following feeling that I will try to describe as well as I can,

It has happened when I have stood up from a relaxed seated position and the feeling is like my face 'fills up' with blood and my heart rate drops at the same time becoming more pronoiunced and 'stronger'. It has also happened when I have walked up a flight of stairs and stop at the top. The thing about this is that its been happening when I've just been standing doing nothing and that I can't work out.

I hope the description above is good enough and someone can maybe fully explain what is happening (including body chemistry if poss). From the body chemistry angle I (or good folk) can maybe work out why it should happen spontaneously.

Anyway, heres my blood pressure query as that wasn't it,

My normal (for the last year or so) BP reading is 138/86 with a pulse of 83 (averaged and taken over a 2 week period as defined by my doctor). I now find that my BP has dropped for no apparent reason and this is worrying me. I know many people would cheer at the thought of this happening but I've done absolutely nothing to promote this response. I now find my reading to be around the 122/78 mark and my pulse to be around the 85-90 mark. Also when my heart rate is around 115-120 I find my BP to be approx 138/88 whereas before this amazing drop my BP was around 160/110 at that pulse!

Here's why it worries me,

I'm thinking of the heart as a pump like a mechanical pump and when the pump increases in speed (pulse) the pressure is also increased (BP). Using those rules I am concerned because if the pump had a flaw, or worse still was failing, it would have to work harder to produce the same pressure and that's what mine appears to be doing, hence my concern. Of course the heart is not a mechanical pump and I'm hoping that this may be normal but my fear comes from ignorance therefore can anyone out there help me with a full explanation.

Many Thanks in advance

Pete

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
(female)

Ga Lady HB User
Re: can someone explain about my BP readings

Fry...there are so many reasons for such readings...It's hard to really put a 'tag' on why your reading are goingup and down but the average person's bp goes up and down all day long with every emotion and every breath. It's not consistent...Nor is your heart rate...there are many factors that contribute to this. As for your face and heart feeling the way it does...I am 'assuming' this may be a 'drop in blood pressure ' when you stand...which will make your limbs and sometimes face feel a tad bit 'weird feeling' for just a few minutes. I work with the elderly and they have the 'standing dropped blood pressure' all the time. There is a medical term for it but what it means is...just for a few moments your pressure drops then it returns to norm.

Also from experience...I know anxiety will cause ALL the above and also will make you more 'aware' of your heart rate and blood pressure. Have you discussed all this with a cardiologist? If not..then I would just do it for peace of mind. Often Peace of mind solves a lot of 'heart work'....

Old 06-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #3

leviathan85 HB User

Don't stress it! Your blood pressure is well in the normal range, in fact it is even better at its current value. However, as Ga Lady said, it is VERY variable throughout the day and depending on what you've ate/drank that day as well, and how you're feeling, etc etc.

By the way, the heart IS a mechanical pump, and you are right about your theory. Blood pressure is proportional to your cardiac output and total peripheral resistance of your blood vessels. If either your cardiac output increases from either increased blood volume (eg. say if you're consuming too much salt) or your heart rate increases, your cardiac output and hence your blood pressure will go up.

However, there is nothing to worry about if your heartrate has increased by 5 bpm, and your blood pressure has decreased by 10 mmHg, but no problem in asking! :-)

Old 06-04-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
(male)

fry HB User

Thanks for the replies, the 'fullness' in the face feeling is almost like the opposite of the low bp feeling which I've had before but dont suffer from now.

It could be my description of the feeling that I'm not getting across properly. Its really difficult to explain. It's like asking someone to describe 'blue'. You can do it by association but never describe it exactly.

It's like a pressure feeling, as if my head was going to pop. Words fail me beyond this, thats why I was hoping someone could relate to it.

Re the blood pressure drop, whilst I do appreciate what you have said it still concerns me to think that is has dropped suddenly for no reason from its 'norm' for the past year or so, but I really do try not to stress over it.

Closed Thread