It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2005, 01:49 AM   #1
(male)

TheQuestionMan HB User
Strange Heart Pain

Hi, I am a 21 year old male athlete who has been experiencing chest pains for the past few days. The pain, when it occurs, is mainly on the left side and also at the center of the chest at times. It's kind of hard to describe but feels kind of like a stabbing pain at time. My breathing has no affect on it though.
I still pretty much remember what I did on the previous day before the pains started. Before I went to sleep, I went running around the park and ran at a fast pace and did so more than I did before on other days. Right after, the run, I bought myself ice cream and then went off to bed after eating it. The next morning when I woke up and was still laying in bed, there was a strong stabbing pain on my left side. The pain seemed to go away a good amount as soon as I got up. Throughout the day I was getting chest pains on the left side at random times. I thought it was heartburn so the next morning, I did what some suggested and took a teaspoon of vinegar. Later on in the day, I started to get chest pains in the center of my chest as well pains on the left side at random times. Today my chest was better through most of the day but it still feels strange and I currently have gotten that same pain right now.
I am going to see a cardiologist Monday or is this an emergeny? Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? Could this be angina or a sign of a heart attack? Or could it be heartburn? And how likely is it for me to get a heart attack at this age?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 04:15 AM   #2
(female)

happybunny HB User
Re: Strange Heart Pain

A stabbing pain like you describe sounds more like muscle/skeletal pain. That can give really sharp pains around the ribs and where the ribs join the breastbone. It may be tender to touch or may hurt to twist over or change position.

Heart pain tends to be more of an intense pressing pain, like an elephant's foot slowly squashing you, not a sharp pain or knifelike pain. Heart pain does not worsen with change of position etc. Also heart pain such as angina tends to come on for 5-10 minutes and then subside, although an actual heart attack would carry on with this squeezing pain for longer in most cases.

You are sensible to be checked out though. I would think you do not have to worry too much. Good luck.

Last edited by happybunny; 06-04-2005 at 04:19 AM.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Questionman,

I agreee with bunny that this isn't an emergency. It sounds like you pulled something during the hard run and we all know that kind of pain takes a day to "ripen."

Try some ALLEVE (naproxen)...I've just discovered the stuff and it's really goood for that kind of pain.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

quoting HB User

whats up, to me it sounds like it could be indigestion. I am 21 and I had the same pains as you. Pain around my heart on the left side. Kind of under the breast. I dont have as much pain in the middle of my chest as I do the left side. I have had ultrasounds on my heart and all because it scared the hell out of me and every thing was fine. If it keeps doing it I would ask my doctor about indigestion.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:03 AM   #5
(male)

parabellum HB User

if you are 21, and don't have congenital heart condition, it is highly unlikely for you to have an angina or MI.

most likely pulled muscle, which is no big deal, but partially collapsed lung is also possible.

Closed Thread