It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
(male)

eNathan HB User
Red face Extremely Rapid heartbeat -- I fear I have SVT

Hello, im new here.

I think that I have SVT (from what I have read). I am 16 years old and am currently no able to see a doctor. Here is a description of what I have eperienced...

About a year ago, I walked about a block from the bus stop and as I sat on my couch, my heart began beating extreamly fast. About 3-5 times per second (I have calculated 60/15 bpm or 4 bpm, Although maybe it just felt like 4 because I was counting both parts of the heartbeat). I though nothing of it, but my brother felt it and started saything things like "something is wrong". Ever since then I have been extreamly scared, depressed and feeling like I could die anytime. It has happend several other times after that too. Once after I was bike riding (lasting for about 45 minutes), once after running from city workers (I was in an area I was not supposed to be in lmao), which lasted for about 45 minutes, and one time when I was at school (Which lasted for a few seconds). The other day I smoked some social cannab!s (I usually dont) and it happend again (lasting for about 45 minutes). Although I dont think it was the drug which caused it, I am pretty sure it was "Triggered" by a number of things which happend, including extream exertion and anxiety. Also, a few months ago I found that it was hard for me to breath at times. I found that this competly went away once winter rolled around. Also, when this "rapid heartbeat" is triggered, it does not come on slowely, but "all of the sudden". It also goes away "all the sudden".

I do consume caffine every other day and usually get about 6 hours of sleep (Although I sleep in on weekends). I have a hobbie of programming software, which at times can be stresfull. After I program for hours I even find it rather hard to breath (Perhaps I take it too seriously lol) All I really want to know is if my life is in danger or if I am A-OK. I have read that SVT is not life threatening, but VT is. How do I know which one I have? What risks come with this condition? Any help?

Thanks in advanved

edit ::
By the way, the heartbeat is NOT painfull at all, just rapid and as a result, scary. I do NOT feel a shortness of breath either.

"Imagination is more greater than knowledge." -- Albert Einstine

Last edited by eNathan; 06-05-2005 at 01:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Extremely Rapid heartbeat -- I fear I have SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNathan
All I really want to know is if my life is in danger or if I am A-OK. I have read that SVT is not life threatening, but VT is. How do I know which one I have? What risks come with this condition? Any help?

Thanks in advance
My SVT started when I was 17, which was several decades ago. Mine would come on suddenly, by my heart pausing a few seconds, making me feel faint, and then beating about 160 beats per minute. As with yours, mine would stop suddenly. I got them regularly. I finally found out how to stop them by lying on my back, taking a deep breath, and then letting it out fully and slowly. Sometimes it would take 10-15 minutes to get rid of them this way.

There is no way anyone on Healthboards would know your condition or the condition of your heart. Even a health professional couldn't know without examining you. That said, there are many people who live with SVT. If it starts and then keeps beating fast, and your heart doesn't go back to normal rhythm, then you need to get medical help to stop the SVT, or you may have to take heart medicine the rest of your life to slow your heart beat.

SVT effects the upper portion of the heart. This is the portion that accumulates the blood for the bottom portion of the heart, the ventricles. The ventricles pump your blood into your body, or into your lungs. VT, or Ventricular Tachycardia, hinders the pumping action of the heart and that is why VT is life threatening. Some of the symptoms of VT are difficulty breathing, feeling faint, fatigue, chest pain and being light headed.

Last edited by Machaon; 06-05-2005 at 04:14 PM.

Old 06-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #3
(male)

eNathan HB User

Quote:
I finally found out how to stop them by lying on my back
I actaully did this one time, and it seemed to work I also heard that wetting your face with cold water can make it go away.

Quote:
Some of the symptoms of VT are difficulty breathing, feeling faint, fatigue, chest pain and being light headed.
I do not have any of those symptoms thankfully, this is why I sort of "assume" that I have SVT. Would most agree? Or is it still posible that I have VT -- just without any symptoms?

Quote:
If it starts and then keeps beating fast, and your heart doesn't go back to normal rhythm, then you need to get medical help to stop the SVT, or you may have to take heart medicine the rest of your life to slow your heart beat.
How would you define this length of time?

One more question. I consume caffine, nocotine, and sometimes m4rijuana. I am not a regular user of these drugs (well, maybe on the caffine). I know that caffine "Trigger" a rapid heartbeat, but what about the other two drugs? Are they "known" to trigger it?

--Thanks alot!

Old 06-05-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
I do not have any of those symptoms thankfully, this is why I sort of "assume" that I have SVT. Would most agree? Or is it still posible that I have VT -- just without any symptoms?
It's quite possible that, during your SVT tachycardia, you may get short burts of VT. When the heart is irritated and starts jumping around, like in a SVT, there are all kinds of different ways that the heart can misfire.

You are in a tachycardic state for 45 minutes, more or less. If this was VT, that means that your body would be deprived of sufficient blood for 45 minutes. I don't think that anyone could survive that long of a VT.

Quote:
One more question. I consume caffine, nocotine, and sometimes m4rijuana. I am not a regular user of these drugs (well, maybe on the caffine). I know that caffine "Trigger" a rapid heartbeat, but what about the other two drugs? Are they "known" to trigger it?

--Thanks alot!
I am on heart medicines for my tachycardia. I have found out that there are many irritants that can force my heart back into a tachycardia like SVT.

I don't know if MJ can cause SVT. Caffeine can cause the heart to misfire.

One way to find out if MJ or caffeine or nicotine is one of the causes for your SVT, is to stay away from these for a week or so, and see if your SVT goes away.

If your source of nicotine is smoking, then that could be a major irritant for your heart. Cigarette smoke contains many irritating chemicals, any one of which could cause a heart to misfire.

Last edited by Machaon; 06-09-2005 at 11:57 AM.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
(male)

eNathan HB User

I couldnt delete this, ignore it

Last edited by eNathan; 06-05-2005 at 06:45 PM.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
(male)

eNathan HB User

Quote:
If your source of nicotine is smoking, then that could be a major irritant for your heart. Cigarette smoke contains many irritating chemicals, any one of which could cause a heart to misfire.p
I dont think its ciggerete smoking. First off, I only smoke a pack every 1.5 - 2 weeks, and my SVT occured before I started smoking. As far as MJ, I guess i'll have to find out if that triggers it or not. I hope its not lol

Quote:
One way to find out if MJ or caffeine or nicotine is one of the causes for your SVT, is to stay away from these for a week or so, and see if your SVT goes away.
It doesnt occure nearly often enough for me to preform this test. Besides my episode a few days ago, it hasnt happend in months. Well thats good

I am also going to stop drinking caffine. Are there any ways to distinqish an SVT from a VT? During SVT, the pace at which my heart beats seems to be constant btw.

Quote:
It's quite possible that, during your SVT tachycardia, you may get short burts of VT. When the heart is irritated and starts jumping around, like in a SVT, there are all kinds of different ways that the heart can misfire.
Is it posible for these "Burts" of VT's to last for a while, to the point of becoming dangerous?

Are there any natural remidies or herbs which can help/prevent SVT? I would rather take something natural than resort to drugs :S

Thanks...

Last edited by eNathan; 06-05-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I am also going to stop drinking caffine. Are there any ways to distinqish an SVT from a VT?
In my case, when my heart is first irritated and starts missing beats, or having palpitations, or going into a SVT, I usually don't have major symptoms, except for feeling my heart misfiring.

If, after my heart starts misfiring, something additionally happens, which further irritates my heart, then my heart will suffer from more dangerous beating problems, such as short bursts of VT. The worse that my heart functions, the worse I feel.

In other words, when my heart is first irritated by something, my heart will misfire in the top portion of my heart, the Atrium. SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia) is where the heart is misfiring "above" the ventricles. As my heart gets more irritated, the misfiring will start effecting the ventricles.

I can only tell about my own experiences with heart disease, since I am not a health professional. I have worn 24 hour holters, which tests the heart over a 24 hour period, and I have experimented with varous irritants while I have been wearing the holter, which taught me a lot about how my heart misfires during different times of the day, and because of different irritants. This knowledge has helped me to reverse my progressive heart disease.

Quote:
During SVT, the pace at which my heart beats seems to be constant btw.
That is typical of a tachycardia. My beat was a steady 160 bpm that sometimes lasted for up to an hour. But...... while the heart is in tachycardia, it can also have other beating problems.

Quote:
Is it posible for these "Burts" of VT's to last for a while, to the point of becoming dangerous?
In my case, the worse that my heart beat, the worse I felt. My last bout with my heart misfiring in my ventricles caused me to almost pass out, sweat badly, feel weak, have problems breathing, etc. Once again, I am only someone who has battled heart disease. In order for you to have complete confidence in the health of your heart, you would need a medical professional and heart tests. But, in my opinion, if you aren't feeling like ****** during your SVT then it isn't significantly effecting your ventricles.

Quote:
Are there any natural remidies or herbs which can help/prevent SVT? I would rather take something natural than resort to drugs :S

Thanks...
In my case, the only "natural" way to avoid bouts of tachycardia is avoidance, finding out what combinations of things and events is causing the SVT and avoiding them.

It is a shame that we can't plug a keyboard into our bodies and try to debug programming problems with our heart rhythms. We could check the instruction flow, find the logic error and fix it. Unfortunately our heart's electrical systems were probably controlled by a Windows operating system, which is probably why our hearts act so flaky!

Good luck with your SVT!

Old 06-06-2005, 07:03 AM   #8
(male)

eNathan HB User
Arrow Re: Extremely Rapid heartbeat -- I fear I have SVT

Quote:
if you aren't feeling like ****** during your SVT then it isn't significantly effecting your ventricles.
Well that is good news

Quote:
In my case, the only "natural" way to avoid bouts of tachycardia is avoidance, finding out what combinations of things and events is causing the SVT and avoiding them.
It very well could just be my lack of exersize, lack of sleep, and the fact that I drink coffee every morning. Im going to stop these. I have actaully known several people who have experienced tachycardia sometime in their life, but it went away. BTW how do you pronounce tachycardia? Is it like Tack - E - Card - ia ?

Im glad my heart is not controlled by the windows operating system. Windows just crashed on me the other day, and every once and a while when I boot my computer it claims I have no OS installed :-$ wow God certianly did a good job on us

Since I am only 16, and have rare cases of tachycardia (which is not painfull) it makes me feel a whole lot safer. I know there are a lot of people living with heart desease, cancer, VT ect...I should be grateful I dont have a more serious condition )

btw im sure there are some tea's or something which can help, maybe i'll check out my local health food store on that one

Edit ::
Can and how does blood pressure effect or "trigger" SVT? I will go down to my local pharmacy later and check my blood pressure. If it turns out I have high blood pressure for some reason, could this be a trigger or atleast contribute to the triggering of SVT?

Thanks alot

Last edited by eNathan; 06-06-2005 at 07:34 AM.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
BTW how do you pronounce tachycardia? Is it like Tack - E - Card - ia ?
I usually say Tack-a-card-ia or Pain-in-my-a**, whichever sounds better at the time.

Quote:
Im glad my heart is not controlled by the windows operating system. Windows just crashed on me the other day, and every once and a while when I boot my computer it claims I have no OS installed :-$
Windows is a good example of marketing over substance. Too many bugs. Not enough options and features. Fortunately Windows has improved over the years.

Quote:
wow God certianly did a good job on us
My theory is that God developed the Earth for lions and tigers and bears (oh my). Humans sprouted up all over the place as weeds or parasites.

Quote:
Since I am only 16, and have rare cases of tachycardia (which is not painfull) it makes me feel a whole lot safer. I know there are a lot of people living with heart desease, cancer, VT ect...I should be grateful I dont have a more serious condition )
Tis always better to view problems through a prism of "glass half full".

Quote:
btw im sure there are some tea's or something which can help, maybe i'll check out my local health food store on that one
Possibly. No one has all the answers. If I am correct, that one or more irritants are causing your tachycardia, then the best cure is to find out what irritates your heart and avoid the irritant(s).

Last edited by Machaon; 06-08-2005 at 05:49 AM.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
(male)

mohawk200x HB User

Lack of exercise would not be the cause, my SVT started when I was 16 Iam very fit, I do cardio 2 hours a day and play alot of football.
I only would get svt once every 3 months then at 18 they went and now 21 I had one episode last november, so its hard for me to know what causes them, since they are rare, symptoms are anxiety and awareness of heart pounding.
Went to a cardio and cleared me with anything wrong, he could'nt tell me what the cause was, I think its too much exercise and i drink alot of caffine, but im more anxious as they are very rare!

Old 06-06-2005, 09:32 AM   #11
(female)

yvouk HB User

just a quick note, i have had the same experiences with rapid heart beat since i was about 23 , iam now 48, at first the doctor did tests and found i was aneamic, so put me on iron tablets , which did seem to help, especially when excercising, but the rapid heart beat has not stopped, they don't happen enough to put them down to one thing. i now have moderatley high blood pressure on average 145/90. doctor wants to put me on beta blockers since my last episode of rapid heart beat made me feel dizzy and a bit faint, but i am looking into herbal remedies, have a look on your internet about hawthorn berry, i am going to start taking it.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:03 AM   #12
(male)

eNathan HB User
Lightbulb Re: Extremely Rapid heartbeat -- I fear I have SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvouk
have a look on your internet about hawthorn berry, i am going to start taking it.
wow and I guess I forgot to mention lol I take Hawthorn Berry's everyday. Although I have been quite lazy on taking them every single day. Ever since I started taking it, it seems that my heart has been fine (Excpet for the episode just a few days ago).

Does anybody know how many grams a day one should take?

Old 06-06-2005, 11:27 AM   #13
(female)

Ga Lady HB User

I've had bouts of tachycardia since I was 19 but didn't have to medicate until I was 26. My heart just stayed in over drive. An echo showed nothing wrong with my heart except tachycardia. I take Tenormin (atenenol)I started out with 25 mg of a morn then I had to up it to 50 mgs of a morn and 50 at night! I also have to take mine before I even get out of the bed of a morning..So my heart won't be raising by the time I am in the kitchen ! So...I am now 36...I never have racing heart episodes any more unless I am VERY stressed or have drank too much coffee (which is a No No) and I do smoke...But I know my limits with all the above. I drink very little coffee...It's mainly diluted water with sugar and creamer! LOL! But I hope you don't let this over run your mind. Just for peace of mind..Talk to a doc..and let him/her tell you Exactly what your experienceing...You might be surprised at how low of a heart rate you'll have once you talk to one also. Mine was sky high..169 bpm then they said I was fine...and it dropped down in the 80's!

Old 06-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #14
(female)

Mazzzee HB User

Hi Nathan

I'm new to this site. I'm 48 years old and developed supraventricular tachycardia when I was pregnant with my daughter. It just 'happened'. One minute my heart was beating normally then there was a thud, and it went mad! It didn't last very long but I was terrified, convinced I was having a heart attack. Then it thumped again and went back to a normal rhythm. Since then I have had intermittent attacks. The worst one was eight years ago which put me in hospital and despite injections to put the heart back to normal, it finally regulated itself. Since then I have been on Sotalol beta blockers which have controlled it. I have had the odd flutters but nothing serious. I gave up tea and coffee, only drinking decaf coffee once a day. Caffeine always made my heart beat faster.

I have recently started horseriding but my doctor doesn't think it's a good idea cos of horses' jerky movements. He suggested I have the RF ablation operation but I'm scared. He says it would cure me completely and would mean I wouldn't have to take tablets any more. Anyway I would suggest you keep away from the dope as it's not good for you anyway! Give up caffeine and maybe cos you're so young it may correct itself. It seems though that it's something we're born with, bummer!

Closed Thread