It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

down_and_out HB User
Question Difibulator

can anyone give me some info about Difibulaters. I know it shocks your heart if it stops.
My mom will be getting one put in, in July.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
(female)

Trainor HB User
Re: Difibulator

Hello,

My mom had a defibrillator put in a couple months ago. Basically it monitors the heart rythym, and if it senses a fast or dangerous rythym, it will send a shock to get the heart back into a normal rythym. If you do a search on this board for "defibrillator," you'll be able to find other posts about them and people with personal experience.

As a family member, one of the things I wish the docs had told us is that it can take some time to adjust the settings correctly to the individual. So, when my mom went into afib, the defibrillator started shocking her full power and we thought she was having another cardiac arrest. Turns out, the defibrillator can't tell the difference between afib and vfib, just a fast rythym. She doesn't have a lead to her atrium, so the shocks were inappropriate. Anyway, they've adjusted her settings and meds and things are looking good. Just wanted to pass on that they may have to make some adjustments to customize the device to your mom's particular rythym, which is perfectly normal. Your mom is much safer now with the device than without.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
(female)

down_and_out HB User

Thank you.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Fibrillation is a heart beating wildly and ineffectively...it quickly kills because blood is not being delivered.
The Defibrillator STOPS the heart with a blast of high voltage and when it immediately starts up again, the rhythm is usually normal.

Closed Thread