It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
(male)

Magnum, p.i. HB User
S4gallop, 'incomplete BBB', possible inferior infarction??!!

My company has an onsite medical dept. with an MD for underwriting purposes. They offer free health assessments at ceratin ages and would schedule for a visit if ill. They're doing away with this benefit now, so I picked up my medical records.

I had seen the Dr. twice. Once in Nov.2001 for an illness. Then once in 2004 for my 35th birthday free physical.

Received antibiotics in 2001. Today I read the notes from that visit and it mentions I have an S4 gallop.

The 2004 physical had an EKG. On the EKG in my records was typed in (from whomever) "incomplete right BBB" (bundle branch blockage, I guess) and "possible inferior infarction".

All this has me a bit worried. The words 'incomplete' and 'possible' are slightly reassuring. The Dr. wasn't in for me to ask about it, but she had written that everything was normal upon her review of the EKG (july 04), and apparently didn't feel this was worth mentioning.

A search for S4 gallop says it occurs with athletes, which I was until about three years ago. It also says it occurs with stenosis or CAD.

Any experience with any of this stuff? Should I just assume she was right and the EKG was normal? She is an Internist not a cardiologist, by the way.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Magnum, p.i.; 06-08-2005 at 01:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: S4gallop, 'incomplete BBB', poosible inferior infarction??!!

Quote:"The 2004 physical had an EKG. On the EKG in my records was typed in (from whomever) "incomplete right BBB" (bundle branch blockage, I guess) and "possible inferior infarction".

I don't want to unnecesaarily alarm you, but my interpretation is there is blockage of right bundle branch (pathway for electrical signals), but obviously the signals have made new pathways bypassing the block. Infarction is lack of oxygen to an area of the heart muscle and will cause the tissue will die due to a lack of oxygen. This would explain the blockage.

Quote:"Received antibiotics in 2001. Today I read the notes from that visit and it mentions I have an S4 gallop".

There are 4 different ausculations and the sounds are labeled (S1, S2, S3, S4) and the stethoscope picks up the sound or lack there of. S4 is a sound by the atrial contraction and ventricular filling, but rarely audible from a normal heart. It is more likely to be heard if left ventricle is non-compliant (heart failing to meet system's demand).

My history and physical report states I have a S4 gallop at the apex. Due to a silent MI I have very little movement (contraction) at the apex of the heart due to damaged muscle on the left side and that gives me CHF.

No follow up treatment for the observations as stated in your health report is strange. An abnormal EKG should call for additional testing such as an echo.

Last edited by started04; 06-08-2005 at 03:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread