It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

jkoz HB User
Question Are These Related?

Hi All,

About two months a go I was at the doctors for a thyroid check-up and he said that I had a heart mummer. He had me go in for a 2-D echo, which showed an enlarged bottom portion/muscle. He sent the test results to my general doctor who said it was probable due to high blood pressure. Well, I have never been told that I have high BP, in fact, I am sure that it was always been low. I have noticed in the past that my heart would sometimes beat real hard once or twice and them go back to normal. Anyways, he gave me a prescription for a diuretic to see if that would help. At this appointment, he checked my blood pressure (13?/7?), but did nothing else. Did not listen to me heart. I am a little overweight and have been trying to lose weight. He offered to give me any weight loss med that I wanted. I turned him down on those, because I personally do not think that they work.

My question is this. My right arm has been hurting for quite a while. It is not severe, but kind of like I have worked out to hard (haven't done that) and it is very sore. I also think I have some weakness in that arm as I have been dropping things lately. Also, my hands have a tendency to go to sleep at night when I am sleeping. Any connection?

I have an appointment with my general doctor next Monday. I don't think he wants to send me to a cardiologist, but should I insist? I am not real happy with my doctor, but don't know of any good ones in my area. Any ideas if the heart problems and the sore arm are related?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Are These Related?

Hi jkoz,

Many people have a heart murmur that doesn't require treatment...but it should be monitored.

A side effect of a diuretic (my med, furosemide) can be, but highly unlikely, is weakness, numness/tingling in the arms/legs. IMHO "soreness" isn't related to heart problem.

The heart enlargement is a more serious condition. There may or may not be a connection with the heart murmur. For instance, during systole (heart pumping) some of the blood flows back into the atrium due to a valve problem. The heart compensates by enlarging its chamber/chambers to meet the system's demand for more blood. Many other reasons for an enlargement as well and that includes high BP. Regardless, it appears you have heart issues and a cardiologist is better prepared to understand and apply the proper treatment.

Closed Thread