It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
(female)

ace29 HB User
cant stop crying when on toprol

I have been having pvc's a lot lately and dr put me on toprol 12.5 mg daily. The low dose was because my bp is 100/70 without meds. I started taking it on a friday and by the following thursday I had fell apart. I was crying uncontrollably. It seemed like the world as I knew it was over. I couldnt explain what was wrong I just cried all the time. By Sat morning my husband had had all he could stand and he insisted I go back to the doctor and find his wife. I did go and I was crying so hard I could'nt tell the doctor what was wrong. I finally did get him to understand and he said to stop the toprol. He said he had seen it cause depression but he had never seen it affect some one like that. He gave me vistaril to calm my nerves and I stopped the toprol and the depression and crying went away and now the palps are coming back. Has anyone else had this happen to them. And are all beta blockers the same. any advise anyone?

Old 06-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: cant stop crying when on toprol

Ace,

They can be very depressive. But don't give up hope since there are differences in the group. I'd try propranolol for a cheapy with a short half life so it's easy to stop or taper your dose or skip doses if you feel down a particular day. It makes me feel very nice when I take it occasionally (It aborts migraines for me, and I also took it for many years for hypertension.)
The beta-blocker of choice for rhythm irregularities seems to be sotalol. I have no experience with it but a friend takes it and it helps his atrial fibriallation.
(Don't take atenolol; you'll be in the same boat as with Toprol, IMHO.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 04:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Willdo,

I know sotalol is a potent med, but it really seems THE choice for rhythm problems.
Try the propranolol, then...it's small potatoes. If it does the trick you're home free and it's SO easy to adjust so that you get JUST ENOUGH but not too much!

Old 06-16-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
(female)

Caroliz HB User

Sotolol.

I just posted as a newbie. This is the med I am also on. Been on it for 2 days now. I cut the dosage in half afterreading the side effects on this. I was NOT monitored in the hospital for 3 days like they said it should be. I am also on Verapermil.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

dd53chocolates HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Willdo,

I know sotalol is a potent med, but it really seems THE choice for rhythm problems.
Try the propranolol, then...it's small potatoes. If it does the trick you're home free and it's SO easy to adjust so that you get JUST ENOUGH but not too much!
Hi There,

I just searched for propranolol, and the side effects include DEPRESSION also, ... so seems that can cause it too ...

Dee

Old 09-18-2006, 04:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Oh yes,

All of the beta-blockers can cause depression, but often some worse than others and which are the biggest offenders can be different for different people.

Closed Thread