It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
(female)

southernlady22 HB User
Maybe someone can offer some advice?

I am a 22 year old active female who has been healthy for her entire life. About four years ago when I started college - at night time when I would lie down to go to sleep I would get a heavy feeling on my chest and sometimes feel that I could not inhale enough oxygen. (like my throat was narrower than normal) It started occuring more frequently to somtimes when I was driving or at the movies - wherever. Fast forward to today - I have graduated college and do not feel that my life is stressful, but at night when I lie down (or ANY time I lie down) my chest gets "heavy" and i feel like it is "hard" to breathe. I have started getting heart flutters, once daily, at the most. I work out 4 or more times per week with no apparent problems. My doctor said that it was probably stress/anxiety and suggested that I try Zoloft. However, I'm not experiencing any major stress in my life and wonder if maybe I have developed a heart problem. Has anyone dealt with these symptoms and may be able to offer any advice? Like I said, it happens EVERY time I lie down. I dread going to bed at night because of this. Thanks so much for any help!

Old 06-15-2005, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Maybe someone can offer some advice?

It sounds like stress/anxiety to me but DO tell your doctor where to stick his Zoloft idea. This drug is not supposed to be prescribed every time someone feel anxious or has non-cardiac chest discomfort.

Does your doctor have webbed feet, perhaps?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 05:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It sounds like stress/anxiety to me but DO tell your doctor where to stick his Zoloft idea. This drug is not supposed to be prescribed every time someone feel anxious or has non-cardiac chest discomfort. It's for people who are seriously depressed and willing to bear the cost of a large increase in suicide risk.

Does your doctor have webbed feet, perhaps?

Old 06-15-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady22
I am a 22 year old active female who has been healthy for her entire life. About four years ago when I started college - at night time when I would lie down to go to sleep I would get a heavy feeling on my chest and sometimes feel that I could not inhale enough oxygen. (like my throat was narrower than normal) It started occuring more frequently to somtimes when I was driving or at the movies - wherever. Fast forward to today - I have graduated college and do not feel that my life is stressful, but at night when I lie down (or ANY time I lie down) my chest gets "heavy" and i feel like it is "hard" to breathe. I have started getting heart flutters, once daily, at the most. I work out 4 or more times per week with no apparent problems. My doctor said that it was probably stress/anxiety and suggested that I try Zoloft. However, I'm not experiencing any major stress in my life and wonder if maybe I have developed a heart problem. Has anyone dealt with these symptoms and may be able to offer any advice? Like I said, it happens EVERY time I lie down. I dread going to bed at night because of this. Thanks so much for any help!
There are many sub-average Doctors who don't have a clue how to properly diagnose their patients problems, so they try to blame the health problems on the patient. That way the doctor feels smart, the patient seems dumb, the doctor charges his high fee, and the patient goes away unhappy and with health problems.

The easy way out, for the doctor, from having to properly diagnose his patient, is to blame the patient's problems on stress. It's an easy diagnosis, right? The doctor does not have to prove anything, and just blames the patient's problems on the patient.

If your condition were stress related then you would think that your problems would happen more during stressful conditions, right? Do you feel that it is stressful to lie down to go to sleep or to take a rest? Of course not? How about when going to a movie? Of course not.

Did you experience your breathing and heart rhythm problems when taking difficult exams in school, or when looking at your bank balance and how much it is costing you for school? Probably not.

I am not a health professional, but I have had similar health experiences.

There are several things that could be causing your problems. One could be allergies and asthma.

Do you have any known allergies?

Last edited by Machaon; 06-20-2005 at 04:28 AM.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
(female)

Godiswithyou HB User

Stress my behind!!!! This sounds more like Gerd to me. You can have gerd and/or acid reflux without having the actual heartburn feeling. I would definetely check into that.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:33 PM   #6
(female)

southernlady22 HB User

I would like to thank everyone for responding. I have read each post and have put a lot of thought into them. I never did begin taking the Zoloft. First of all, I am not a depressed person by any means. I feel that working out gives me a good chance to clear my mind, so I decided to take this approach rather than taking medicine. I am beginning to wonder if my problem is more of a digestive issue as opposed to a heart condition. I now realize how easy it is to mistake my symptoms for heart trouble.

But, my problems could also be stress related since I just graduated from college, started a new job, and will be getting married in about 3 months. I guess I am just not realizing how much stress I am actually under.

Thanks everyone so much for posting. I sincerely appreciate your time.
-SouthernLady

Closed Thread