It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

laura3377 HB User
Question Getting a 2nd opinion - Need some input.

Hi - Been lurking here for a while but this is my first post. My story starts back in Nov 2003 with a big panic attack - first one I had ever had. Wound up in the ER - everything fine. Well, after a month or two of getting over the shock of that and having all heart tests come out fine (Holter Monitor, EKG, Echo) I started feeling better. Well, now since April I have been having rapid heart rate for no reason. It even wakes me up in the middle of the night. I don't feel anxious but maybe on some level I am. Still it worries me. Also, started having left arm pain from nowhere. Well, here it is June and I'm still having the arm pain which is getting worse. Intermittent pain in my jaw - both sides. The arm pain is constant. No muscles pulled or heavy activity before this started happening. So, I wound up in the ER about a month ago due to tight chest feeling. They admitted me to the hospital for overnight observation since this had been going on a while. Blood work was fine, EKG normal, had me wear a EKG monitor all night so they could observe. The next day I had a Stress Echo - Doc made light of the fact I was there. 'You're so young' Well, I look alot younger than I am. I am female, 32 years old - probably look about 25, small build 5'1 108 lbs. Didn't really appreciate that as young people can have heart problems too. Anyway, the Stress Echo was normal. I am adopted so don't know family history but other than that have no risk factors - Cholesterol 171, 74 good, 81 bad, 53 Triglycerides, BP normal but have noticed lately that it has been elevated, don't smoke, drink, have always worked out on a regular basis until all of this started happening and eat really well. Now I know none of this excludes me from the possibility of having a blockage so I have decided to get a 2nd opinion. Should I push new doc for an angiogram? The only other thing I can relate this all to is maybe hormone changes. Any input is really appreciated? Oh, I have noticed I cannot exert myself the way I used to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: Getting a 2nd opinion - Need some input.

laura:
Your story sounds similar to mine, starting with a big panic attack about 2-3 months ago. I was checked out by my GP, cardio (echocardiogram, blood work and urine tests, etc.) I have similar symptoms of a racing heart, slightly elevated BP (although I think it's back to normal now) and chest pain. The only thing I did not have is the arm and jaw pain. I'm not as young as you (46), but have always been slim, exercise and eat healthy foods. Don't smoke, was a light drinker (have given up lately because it worsens my symptoms) and have cut out caffeine.

For me, all things point to anxiety. This is hard for me to accept because other than a recent death in my family and normal every-day stress, my life is pretty good. I'm looking into hormone imbalances, but you seem a little young for that.

I also thought about getting a second opinion from a different cardio (mainly because he also found I have a congenital defect which is not causing any of my symptoms, but nevertheless kind of freaked me out).

But there are sooo many other things that can make your heart race. Your tiredness may also be related to other causes (anemia, thyroid?) You might consider going back to your GP first/also and eliminating any other causes. I have also found help in reading other boards here including "anxiety".

Old 06-15-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
(female)

laura3377 HB User
Smile Re: Getting a 2nd opinion - Need some input.

Thanks for your response. I also think the heart racing could just be anxiety but the left arm pain really worries me. It is causing my anxiety to be worse so it's like a neverending cycle. Just hard to believe that anxiety could cause constant left arm pain.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Getting a 2nd opinion - Need some input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura3377
Hi - Been lurking here for a while but this is my first post. My story starts back in Nov 2003 with a big panic attack - first one I had ever had. Wound up in the ER - everything fine. Well, after a month or two of getting over the shock of that and having all heart tests come out fine (Holter Monitor, EKG, Echo) I started feeling better. Well, now since April I have been having rapid heart rate for no reason. It even wakes me up in the middle of the night. I don't feel anxious but maybe on some level I am. Still it worries me. Also, started having left arm pain from nowhere. Well, here it is June and I'm still having the arm pain which is getting worse. Intermittent pain in my jaw - both sides. The arm pain is constant. No muscles pulled or heavy activity before this started happening. So, I wound up in the ER about a month ago due to tight chest feeling. They admitted me to the hospital for overnight observation since this had been going on a while. Blood work was fine, EKG normal, had me wear a EKG monitor all night so they could observe. The next day I had a Stress Echo - Doc made light of the fact I was there. 'You're so young' Well, I look alot younger than I am. I am female, 32 years old - probably look about 25, small build 5'1 108 lbs. Didn't really appreciate that as young people can have heart problems too. Anyway, the Stress Echo was normal. I am adopted so don't know family history but other than that have no risk factors - Cholesterol 171, 74 good, 81 bad, 53 Triglycerides, BP normal but have noticed lately that it has been elevated, don't smoke, drink, have always worked out on a regular basis until all of this started happening and eat really well. Now I know none of this excludes me from the possibility of having a blockage so I have decided to get a 2nd opinion. Should I push new doc for an angiogram? The only other thing I can relate this all to is maybe hormone changes. Any input is really appreciated? Oh, I have noticed I cannot exert myself the way I used to.
Some of your problems could be related to allergies. Panic attacks can be caused by hormone imbalances within one's body. One of the biggest culprits is the adrenal gland. During allergy problems, or other reactions to irritants, the adrenal glands pump out chemicals (hormones) like epinephrine and norepinephrine, which can cause cause many side effects, besides the good that these hormones do for you.

The heart tests, you had, will ONLY show a heart malfunction if you suffer from that heart malfunction during the tests. Of course, if someone has a big hole in their heart, or if their heart is missing altogether, then the tests will show dramatic results. Otherwise, the tests will show a normally functioning heart.

Was your heart racing, or jumping around, during any of these heart tests? Did you get the summary report from your 24 hour holter test? If not, you should ask for it and try to understand the results.

Closed Thread