It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

arrest04 HB User
Cardiac Arrest at 22

I was diagnosed with PVC since I was 14. I had a cardiac arrest! It was a miracle that I survived and recovered in 2 weeks. I have an ICD implanted and my EF went from 10 percent after to my arrest to 70 percent in March. I was taking Coreg and Enalapril until March, and I began taking toprol in March and discontinued the Coreg and Enalapril. I had an echo yesterday and my EF is down now to 45 percent. I was told by a physician my EF would NOT decrease. I am very scared b/c I was told I did not have heart failure and only a conduction problem...I have had 3 episodes of Vtach since my arrest and I still have bigeminy and multifocal PVC. No one can explain why!!! Please help with similar experiences, suggestions of physicians, hospital, ANYTHING, that can help explain! I am too young for this !!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 AM   #2
(male)

GodChaser777 HB User
Re: Cardiac Arrest at 22

Iam curios how did they diagnos your original condition? Holter Monitor?

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
(female)

arrest04 HB User

I went for a basketball physical when I was 14 and the NP heard irregularities in my heart. It was confirmed by an EKG and I then went to have Echocardiogram, catherization, unsuccessful ablation. The only conclusion was I had a virus attack my heart and then I had these PVC's. Never thought they could cause a cardiac arrest! Now, I am believing I never had a virus. I just want a physician to take my case seriously and figure my case out. Looking at me, you would NEVER think something is wrong with me or that I ever had an arrest....so not many physicians take me seriously, but I am still having v-tach and PVC's. thanks for your concern....

Last edited by arrest04; 06-16-2005 at 06:56 AM.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:47 PM   #4
(female)

Trainor HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your condition, but happy to hear you've recovered from your cardiac arrest well. My mother survived a cardiac arrest a little over 2 months ago and is still recovering...regaining her short-term memory and is dealing with severe anxiety. She's 58 and had some PVC's and afib before the arrest, but is otherwise in excellent physical condition. It turns out that she has a very rare genetic syndrome called Brugada syndrome. It happens mostly in young Asian men, but was only discovered in 1992, so a lot research still needs to be done.

I have no medical expertise, so I'm not saying your condition is genetic, but I am curious: do you have any family history of sudden cardiac death? Have you had an EP study?

Old 06-16-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User

Hmmm that would prolly be the case that something attacked your heart, is that what the doctor said? cause begine pvc's wont cause CA. did the docs also say why your Alba failed?

This is very strange cause begine PVC's dont cause CA

How many PVC's do you have a day? mine reach the 7-10,000 range..... tho years and years of anything higher than 15k can cause the heart to weaken

But also remember that a active player can also have sudden card arrest for no reason, you ever hear stories how kids or other people just "drop dead" while playing a sport or something, that at times can happen with no reason

Last edited by yugokid; 06-16-2005 at 08:37 PM.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
(female)

arrest04 HB User

My doctor mentioned performing genetic testing, however he doubts that has anything to do with this condition. Some doctors say maybe a virus, but another doctor believes that is not the reason I have PVC's. I have couplets (two PVC in a row) and he has pinpointed the PVC that allows me to go into VTACH on an EKG. So, i wouldn't say PVC do not cause cardiac arrest b/c they can lead into v-tach according to my cardiologist. I will check out the Bragada syndrome...thank you for that information. They are talking about doing an EP study as well. What made them do genetic testing on your mom? I am glad your mom recovered! At one point I was having over 20 thousand WITH medication!!! I did not realize those can weaken your heart....thanks for that info!

Last edited by arrest04; 06-16-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User

Glad to help, iv had them for 3-4 years now, im 22 going on 23, so of course this prompted me to post xD But and i mean but, V-tach has to forms, unsistained and sistainted, i think the unsistained one is the non harmful one, now my question, were you working out, exerting yourself when you had the arrest? and did the docs do a stress test?

Did the alba reduce the pvcs or do nothing at all? The place i am going to has a 90% success rate, or they do it another time ^_^

But if your pvc's are causing v-tach, then you dont just have a "conduction problem" theres something else they need to fix

Old 06-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
(female)

arrest04 HB User

They attempted to do and ablation in 1999 and they were unsuccessful b/c the ectopy was coming from outside my heart and too close to the AV node. They are possibly thinking about trying again. I have a defribrillator now, and when I do have vtach, my pacemaker kicks in and paces me out of it before the defribrillator shocks me. I have about 8-9 beats of vtach in a row. I had a stress test about two months before my arrest and when I reached a heart rate of 160, I stopped having PVC and went into normal sinus rhythm. Why do you have PVC's?

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User

just cause i have them, no underlying heart probs, no diabetes MILD high BP and nobody in my family has any heart problems, mine just came outta nowhere,

Tho i think that my years of caffene abuse that caused me to also have 2 kidney stones might have messed with my hearts av node.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:47 AM   #10
(female)

arrest04 HB User

Well, I want to know WHY I have PVC and vtach. I'm tired of hearing "I don't know" How is your heart function? Mine was great until I had my arrest. It came up as well until I stopped taking Coreg....I just want answers.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #11
(female)

Trainor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrest04
What made them do genetic testing on your mom?
When my mom had her arrest, the cardiologist (not her usual one) looked at her previous and current EKGs and noticed an abnormality in it and identified it as Brugada syndrome. Brugada syndrome is genetic, so they didn't actually do genetic testing on her, just happened to find it and then confirm it with a procainamide challenge. I had an EP study and procainamide challenge on Tuesday and fortunately came back negative. My brothers still need to get tested, and my aunt is actually having the challenge today.

The crazy thing about my mom's case is that before her arrest she was going to electrophysiologists for her Afib and had two pulmonary ablations. They put her on a drug called Flecainide which is supposed to reduce any afib she may still have. Well, flecainide (along with procainamide and other sodium channel blockers) are what they use to test for Brugada syndrome. It actually brings out v-tach or v-fib in people with Brugada. So once she went on flecainide, I remember her saying how she didn't like it and it didn't make her feel good, but her doctors kept her on it. About a year later is when she collapsed on a jog into cardiac arrest. She had no id on her and went into the nearest hospital as a Jane Doe...it was the cardiologist there, not her own, that discovered the Brugada.

I'm surprised your doctors aren't doing more to get to the bottom of the cause of your cardiac arrest. You and my mom (who is a nurse as well) are rare survivors of these. It sounds like you've had more than one opinion...but have you had one from an electrophysiologist yet?

Old 06-17-2005, 02:32 PM   #12
(female)

Trainor HB User

I don't know the chances of CA and pvcs, and I didn't mean to scare you with my mom's story. The doctors said her afib and pvcs are a totally separate issue from her Brugada which lead to CA. The only link they knew of was the medication she was on for her Afib. From everything I've heard and read, pvcs and afib are not life threatening.

Old 06-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #13
(female)

arrest04 HB User

I do not mean to scare anyone either, but people do need to be aware. PVC's normally are not life threatning, however, when you have couplets(two or more in a row) is when they can become dangerous. I have couplets and multifocal PVC and bigeminy. Most others may have a PVC every now and then and that is alright, but they become complicated, such in my case, they become serious. I notice also when I become anxious they get worse, or increase in caffeine and sugar. I am seeing an EP right now and my first visit was last Monday. However, he has to "consult" with other physicians b/c he does not know what my best option is and why I am having PVC and v-tach. I have a PVC right before I go into V-tach, and he said maybe if he can ablate that PVC, I would not have vtach anymore. ???? who knows. I just wished someone would research me

Old 06-17-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
(male)

GodChaser777 HB User

Just curious if you guys could take a look at my Holter Monitor results and compare them to yours if you have them.

The patient was monitored for 24 hours. The minimum rate was 41 the maxmum rate was 128,mean rate 92. There were 13 supraventricular extopic beats and three couplets. The patient had episodes of sinus tachycardia and sinus bradycardia. NO Ventricular ectopics. No Pauses detected.

Impression

1.Rare supraventricular ectopic beats, total 13 during the recorded period.
2.No Ventricular ectopic beats.
3.No pauses detected.

Now there has been a few times ive felt pauses.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:04 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User

i have bigeminy once and a while, but Trigeminy a lot, still my cardio said theres nothing to worry bout, so im not ^^

Closed Thread