It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
(female)

SeaBreezes HB User
Help Please with SLOW heart rate!! I'm scared!!

My heart can't seem to make up it's mind. Originally, I was put on a holter monitor for an elevated heart rate (120+). This was about four months ago. They discovered that I was having runs of PACs. I was put on 12.5mg of Atenolol. Anyway, I stopped using the beta blocker about 1.5 months ago, as it did not seem to help with my PACs. For about two weeks now, my heart rate is averaging 51-60 bpm. Even during the day, when I'm active, my heart rate is about 57bpm and at night it will drop to 51. I am so scared because this is NOT my norm at all. I am not in significantly great shape. I'm overweight by about 3 pounds. I stopped using the beta blocker about 1.5 months ago, so it is not related to that. Is this heart rate dangerously low? What should I do?

I asked my cardio about my slow heart rate, and he really brushed it off by saying, "The lower the better". I hardly think that is the case, particularly when this slow heart rate is a new thing for me. I have been on a diet for about 6 weeks now, and I am losing weight. I'm wondering if this diet has anything to do with my slow heart rate. Are they linked? I feel tired a lot, but I don't have dizziness. Sometimes I have shortness of breath, where I feel that I am not inhaling enough oxygen. When I put my face in a bowl of ice, though, it really seems to help with this. I'm not starving myself by any means, but I have greatly reduced my caloric intake. I'm only 5 foot, and my ideal weight is between 90 and 110 pounds. I started my diet at 125 and I am down to 113. I feel hungry a lot, but I am getting the required calories and nutrients each day. I don't know if they're related, but it''s the only thing I've done differently since I noticed my slow heart rate. I'm sure that my heart rate drops into the 40's when I'm sleeping, particularly since it's between 51-60 during the day when I'm most active. I'm just really scared that my heart rate is dangerously low, and I'm even more concerned that my doctor is NOT concerned. He should know better, since he is the one that ordered the holter monitor for the fast heart rate that I was having. He is attributing that to my weight loss, saying that those lost pounds have put less of a demand on my heart. I'm not buying that. It doesn't seem normal to go from 100bpm to 51 bpm because of a diet. Help PLEASE!!!!

Last edited by SeaBreezes; 06-16-2005 at 04:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
(female)

SeaBreezes HB User
Re: Help Please with SLOW heart rate!! I'm scared!!

...just giving this post a gentle bump in case anyone has any information for me.

Old 06-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBreezes
I'm sure that my heart rate drops into the 40's when I'm sleeping, particularly since it's between 51-60 during the day when I'm most active. I'm just really scared that my heart rate is dangerously low, and I'm even more concerned that my doctor is NOT concerned.
While there are good doctors out there, there are a lot of hacks. When a doctor isn't able to properly diagnose his patient, they will either blame the patient's condition on the patient, by telling the patient that the condition is caused by stress, or ignore the problem, like your doctor seems to be doing.

I don't blame you one bit for feeling like you are on your own and that your doctor is ignoring your symptoms. Your doctor sounds like a hack.

Quote:
He should know better, since he is the one that ordered the holter monitor for the fast heart rate that I was having.
I have had major heart disease for many years. I have met heart "experts" who are not capable of interpreting Holter results.

Did you get a copy of the Holter summary? It is one page and contains a summary by hour. In other words, there are 24 summary lines on the report. Each line shows the average heart rate, minimum heart rate, maximum heart rate, and also shows how many times your heart misfired per hour.

If anything, it will tell you how much your heart slowed down during the night, during that one day. Granted, it won't show you what your heart is doing today, but at least it can provide you with some information.

Quote:
He is attributing that to my weight loss, saying that those lost pounds have put less of a demand on my heart. I'm not buying that. It doesn't seem normal to go from 100bpm to 51 bpm because of a diet. Help PLEASE!!!!
Everyone is different. I've got significant heart problems. In my case, many things that I breathe, such as odors, chemicals, smoke, pollens, pollutants; can make my heart misfire. Many things that I eat or drink can make my heart misfire. And..... many things that touch my skin, like dyes, chemicals, materials, inks, can make my heart misfire. When I say "misfire" I mean make my heart beat too fast, too slow, too hard, too soft, skip beats, etc.

Have you ever noticed problems breathing after eating a particular food, or after putting on a particular outfit, or after walking outside, or in any other circumstance? In my opinion, baring any significant heart damage, a heart normally does not want to misfire. Some external influences irritate the hearts electrical system. Find out the irritating culprits and you might be able to see improvements in your symptoms.

Last edited by Machaon; 06-19-2005 at 05:40 PM.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
(female)

jones215 HB User

After the birth of my second child the nurse asked me about my low heart rate but didn't seem to concerned, then i started having spells where i would get light headed and like i couldn't breath and sometimes i would have to pull over to the side of the road and walk around at the time i didn't connect it with a low heart rate. I finally went to a doctor who ran some test and then sent me to a cardiologist who said i had congenital complete heart block and that child birth brought it on. I now have had a pacemaker for 22 year's, for a heart rate that will be in the 20's if i didn't have it. lot's of thing's can cause your heart rate to vary and it could be the diet your on, a low heart rate is not always serious but needs to be checked out. do you exercise a lot or run?

Old 08-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
(male)

spencer123 HB User

i think heart rates are just so diverse in many people and alotta people think that if their heart isnt exactly going at the same rate or same time that somebody else's is or what is considered the "norm" they think they have a problem. It is possible that your diet could be causing your low heart rate. I'll have to disagree with who said that if your slimmer u should have a slower heart rate. I'm 6'0 and 135 lbs and my resting hr is in the 80's. I would try seeing a nother doctor just for a second opinion

Old 08-24-2005, 07:26 PM   #6

kay77449 HB User

I understand what you are saying I started up with problems back in May of this year had gone out to eat for lunch with my sister and during lunch said that I was not feeling right that their was something wrong did not know for sure but knew that their was something wrong I could feel tat I was IRG which I have had A fibrillation in the past and felt that it was that but worse then usually so we were close to the hospital so I went to the ER told them what was going on how I felt they hook me up to the monitor show that I was having lots of changes and was up in the hundreds and st changes
chest hurt like crazy I was admited in to MICU for about two days then they move me to the monitoring floor had got up to go to the bathroom and rate went up to 240per min back in to the unit I went right before I had stop breathing for about four to five seconds did that three different times back to the unit I went from really Hi to be low 60 some of that was due to medication once the medication was out of my system it still was droping so they decided to put a pacemaker in so that it would kick in when it gets to 60 or below and if I go the other way then back to the hospital I go. I am tired all the time and go from day to day said this could happen again and if it dose then they will have to put me on another medication but the one that I am on right now is helping. I have to go weekly and get lab work done because I am at hi risk for blood clots. He told me that if this keeps up that I will stroke out. Have you talk with you doctor about a pacemaker for some people it is an option
and it might help. Let me know what happen and I hope you get to feeling better

kay

Old 08-25-2005, 08:48 AM   #7
Inactive

jpos HB User

What's important is if you are having symptoms with these changes. So, I've read on other sites. I think I have to agree about hacks and changing. Sometimes I wonder if there was more than 1 dr. to a class and if they were all taught something different. Then I wonder where some of the drs. "bought" their license.

Closed Thread