It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

but4grace HB User
Heart is back to normal after a year and a half

My husband was diagnosed with Dialated Cardiomyopathy and Congestive heart failure a year and a half ago. His EF was 30%. He was put on tons of meds and eventually had a stent put in. According to his doctor his last Echo shows that his heart has returned to normal size and normal function! This seems like a miracle .......has anyone else had their heart return to normal after having CHF? One thing that confused us though is the doctor said he had to stay on his medicine. If he is back to normal .......why?
Good Luck to everyone, but4grace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
(female)

arrest04 HB User
Re: Heart is back to normal after a year and a half

I had a cardiac arrest last June (2004) and my EF was 10 percent. I was on Coreg and Enalapril and in March my EF was 70 percent. I went off the medication in March and only took Topril ... My EF is now 45! DO NOT STOP THE MEDICATION.... I'm not sure what meds he is on, but they usually help with contractility and help with the function of the heart. My doctor told me I could change medications and my EF WOULD NOT GO DOWN....boy, was he WRONG!! If you look up the medications, it will tell you what their function is and how they improve the heart. I'm 23 years old too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #3

carrob2003 HB User

But4grace,

Yes, I was diagnosed in Jan 2004, out of the blue, with an EF of 25% and severe enlargement of my LV. I've now reached 40% and ALL of my enlargement is gone. I have NO RESTRICTIONS and I do whatever I want.....mowing the yard, exercise, etc. However, the only med change they've made thru this is they've reduced my Lasix to once a day instead of twice. They've told me that I'll be on the Coreg and Enalapril for "at least" the next 10 years to see how my heart reacts. They just want to be sure that the heart has "remodeled" itself and can act alone.....w/o the meds. But, these meds help the heart to "slow down" and repair itself. I hate the thought of taking the meds forever.....but if they help me live and ENJOY my life, I don't mind at all!

Old 06-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by but4grace
My husband was diagnosed with Dialated Cardiomyopathy and Congestive heart failure a year and a half ago. His EF was 30%. He was put on tons of meds and eventually had a stent put in. According to his doctor his last Echo shows that his heart has returned to normal size and normal function! This seems like a miracle .......has anyone else had their heart return to normal after having CHF? One thing that confused us though is the doctor said he had to stay on his medicine. If he is back to normal .......why?
Good Luck to everyone, but4grace
I was diagnosed with CHF and an enlarged heart because of left ventricle enlargement there was severe mitral regurgitation. The problem was a result of a silent (no symptoms) MI some time prior and my EF was 13% (depending on the test, there were variations).

Recent tests show medication has reduced heart enlargement (reverse remodeling) and regurgitation is moderate and my EF is 50% (low normal). It is not a miracle as it can be explained. The heart was dilated to compensate for the underlying problem (ie high blood pressure, clogged arteries). The enlargement and other signs are the system's way to meet the demand to function. To lighten the heart's burden with medication (ie dilate arteries) enables the heart to stop compensating and return to normal (not always, there are exceptions).

There is no reversal with CHF. There usually is heart muscle damage and heart's ability to contract to pump and relax to receive blood is impaired. EF is is increased due to medication. There is medication to increase the heart's conrtractility of a weak heart, dilation of the arteries provides relief, etc.

Medication may be a life time experience to treat the underlying problems and medication to aid a weak heart. Medication can slow or stop the progression of CHF, but there isn't anything available to repair damaged heart muscle. There may be day when the injection of stem cells can rejuvenate the damaged cells.

Last edited by started04; 06-20-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Closed Thread