It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
(female)

shazz99 HB User
Angry taxus stent

Hi to you all this is my first post just wondering I had a taxus stent put in in nov 2004 to my 99.1 blocked LAD have not been good since had a angio back in jan all looked good then got back to walking 4 kms per day was taking warfarin for the last 5 months stopped the warfarin about one week after stopping started to get chest pains on the left side only plus left arm and left sholder pain some days i am so bad I have had a few tests done so far all seems fine the pain can get so bad it can stop me in my tracks could it be my stent is it worth an angio i think i have one of the better stents i was told. i worry with this pain I am 38 years old oh and am in australia.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: taxus stent

shazz,
You DO know, I'm sure that the TAXUS STENT was recalled in rather large numbers last year.
Quote:
The FDA investigates after several prominent hospitals stop using Taxus
By DrRich
The FDA has moved in to investigate Boston's Scientific's limited recall of the Taxus drug-coated stent, to make sure that the company has done enough to assure that patients are being adequately protected.

The problem with the Taxus stent has to do with the insertion procedure. Stents are "deployed" by placing them via catheter within a coronary artery plaque, then expanding them against the plaque by blowing up a balloon. Once the stent has been expanded (in order to compress the plaque and hold it into place,) the balloon is deflated and the catheter is removed. Apparently, in some patients receiving the Taxus stent, doctors have been unable to deflate the balloon after expanding the stent - these patients have required emergency bypass surgery.

Originally, Boston Scientific attributed the problem to doctors' insertion techniques. Later, they discovered a problem with the delivery system itself, and recalled 200 stents. Still later, they expanded the recall to over 80,000 stents possibly affected by the problem. Apparently, over 50,000 stents not covered by the recall have been shipped.

In the meantime, several prominent cardiologists and hospitals have either completely suspended the use of the Taxus stent, or have severely curtailed using it, until they are sure the problem has been fully resolved. Some have complained that, given the company's stuttering approach to solving this problem (first "blaming" doctors, then recalling a few stents, then recalling many more stents,) they are not completely confident the problem has been fully characterized and dealt with. The FDA, wishing to resolve the issue once and for all, has now stepped in.
This was based on last Summer's news. I think an angiogram is in your cards. Did you have GREAT angina relief right after the procedure?
When you stopped the Warfarin did you continue daily aspirin? Like 325 mg.? Were you ever on Plavix?
Is the pain identical to what it was beefore the stent? If so then I will make a stab that the 99.1% was effectively 100% blocked and you were operating on collateral circulation. When you stopped the warfarin, you might have suffered a clot that completely re-blocked the artery again and you are back on the collaterals. My hope is that something like an atherectomy (roto rotter) would re-open a stent like this without the need for chest surgery.

Good Luck and make sure you take that aspirin...even 650 mg. See you doctor immediately...choose one who is averse to bypass if you can (I was lucky!)

Last edited by Lenin; 06-19-2005 at 10:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

Caroliz HB User

Lenin asked the same questions I was going to ask? Plavix? Aspirin daily?
Plavix is for a few years with me...Some docs want it longer some docs say a year. Plavix is suppose to keep the stents open.

Taxus Stents. September 2004, I had a Taxus stent placed in the RCA. The day before I had this put in, I asked the Stent doc about the Taxus Stents and the recalls and he said those series in question have been pulled from the market.

Had the Cath and during the Cath (9/2004) I was 75% in La La land, I heard the Fellow in Training (had no idea that some kid was being trained on me) getting excited about something. I got scard and they told me to be quiet and yelled for more Versed for me. About a week later I asked about this incident and found out that the Fellow was using a Taxus stent on me and the stent was not deploying and apparently they became excited. The cath report indicates they had problems.

So was this the stent or the Fellow who was a novice. Either way, I was not happy and I am still not happy that this happened. They had to go back in 4 months later and they told me that the pressures were off in the stent area so they put two more in,,,Cyphers this time....I wonder if this had something to do with the Original Taxus stent.

Lenin, have you heard that Taxus is not being accepted in some Cath Rooms now?

Thanks

Old 06-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
(female)

shazz99 HB User

Hi thanks for the replys the plavix I had a allergie reaction to which i had to spend another week in hosp so they could sort it out so i can never take plavix i do take asprin every day. I have seen dr he did a Myocardial perfusion scan stress E.C.G that was fine he said becauce of that he might wait to do angio as he said let it ride for a while and see what happens in the mean time every day is up in the air and yes i do use my spray and it does work. Today is a bad day as i have woke up feeling very short of breath this happens at least three times a week. Back in nov when it happened i thought i was going to die my whole chest was crushing I dont want that to happen again i am too young. I am going to have a scan of my shoulder and arm just to rule anything out there i have had the arm and shoulder pain since the stent went in so i dont think they will find anything on the scan for my shoulder.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:40 PM   #5
(female)

yorkilvr HB User

Hi, I also have 2 taxus stent's from an emergency heart cath in December 2003 at the age of 44. I had a 99% blockage in the circumflex, and an 80 in the LAD. I have since had numerous caths. In July 2004 I continued to have chest pain, doctor said it was just stress?? I insisted that he schedule another cath, he did.. circumflex had blocked again directly above the stent. A cypher was used this time. The chest pain never totally resolved, but that doc blamed it on spasms. I changed doctors, New doc did another cath in September, and the LAD was blocked again. Another cyper was used, but I still had a small blockage on a diagonal branch off of the LAD. The next month the doc went in and looked again, since I was still having so much pain. He said that the blockage had not changed, and since it was so risky he didn't want to try to stent it. Well on April 10th, I awoke to severe chest pain at 4am. Went straight to the hospital, was in the cath lab right away. The LAD was 99% blocked, and the diagonal was almost entirely closed too. I had 2 cypher's inserted this time, side by side. Doc said this was the toughest he had ever done. Over 4 hours in the cath lab, My husband was pacing the floor. I have felt so much like a whiner, but you are the only one who know's how you feel. I think you need to see your doc again, Peace of mind is a big thing. Take care and good luck

Old 06-20-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Carol,

I searched but cannot find any info on whether Taxus stents are being boycotted by hospitals and doctors currently, however with the HUGE number of class action lawsuits being filed, I think a doctor or his insurance company would be afraid to take the risk...even if they are safe now. They'll be sued sure as shooting if ANYTHING goes wrong.

Lawyer: "Doctor, if you KNEW the stents were recalled in 2004, why did you choose to use it anyway?"
Case closed.

I'd be amazed if they are used anywhere since the Cypher is a good alternative.

I'm glad I got a Cypher stent but if I'd gotten a TAXUS I'd join a class action (all over the net) if I as much as SNEEZED!

Last edited by Lenin; 06-20-2005 at 07:14 AM.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #7
(female)

shazz99 HB User

Hi,

I know the taxus stent was recalled over there does anybody know much about australia taxus stents it would be very interesting to know if this is the same taxus stent used here in australia if it is it may explain a lot.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
(female)

Caroliz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Carol,

I searched but cannot find any info on whether Taxus stents are being boycotted by hospitals and doctors currently, however with the HUGE number of class action lawsuits being filed, I think a doctor or his insurance company would be afraid to take the risk...even if they are safe now. They'll be sued sure as shooting if ANYTHING goes wrong.

Lawyer: "Doctor, if you KNEW the stents were recalled in 2004, why did you choose to use it anyway?"
Case closed.

I'd be amazed if they are used anywhere since the Cypher is a good alternative.

I'm glad I got a Cypher stent but if I'd gotten a TAXUS I'd join a class action (all over the net) if I as much as SNEEZED!
Hmmmmmmmmmmm Food for thought. I htink I will look into that Class Action suit. I went thru *&%^%$^& in that Cath Lab while they were trying to deploy that Taxus. They got excited and caused me much anxiety on the table and a few months later they had to put in a few Cyphers as the pressure readings were off in that same area... Hmmmmmmm again! probably get $1.00. Isn't this how these Class action suits work. Lawyers get rich

Closed Thread