It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User
Atrial Septal Defect

Hi, does anyone know anything about ASD. My baby was diagnosed with this at 6 months, shes 10 months now and her doctor said she will need surgery at 1 year to correct this. Im terrified. Shes healthy, big, fat and full of energy. She said the surgery is done through an archery, not open heart. It will be done at Childrens Medical in Dallas, TX which I know is an excellent hospital, but Im terrified. Could the surgery kill her? Her doctor said if she doesn't have it, she would die in her 20's because her heart would flood her lungs. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Atrial Septal Defect

Hi,
I don't have any personal experience with ASP, but from reading it is said to be a birth defect that affects the normal blood flow in the heart and if not corrected it will cause congested heart failure in early adulthood.

The doctor is referring to one condition of CHF. Fluids back up in the lungs when the heart fails to put out enough blood in relation to the amount of blood it receives, consequently, the unpumped blood from the lungs to the heart backs up into the lungs.

There is a risk to any operation, but the risk is heavily outweighed by the benefit to an otherwise critical condition in the future. The risk is less than one in a hundred, and it appears you have a robust baby so the risk is very slight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 10:58 AM   #3
(female)

Caroliz HB User

I have been DX by one doctor with an Atrial Septal Defect but just diagnosed with this. ( I am an adult) The other doc said there is a Septal MI in the Atrial area. None of this makes any sense to me as I have heard that this usually shows up in infancy. But, my parents were poor and doctors were a luxury. I was always sickly as a child.

Dallas has some great doctors. Did you get more than one opinion? Please keep us informed and I wish you and your lil one all the best. God Bless.

Old 06-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
(female)

nuala HB User

Hi, I was diagnosed with an ASD two yrs ago aged 30. I had no noticable symptoms growing up and it was only in the last few yrs that I have noticed a feeling of breathlessness, but not very serious. I had keyhole surgery which your daughters surgeon hs recommended, unfortunately it didnt work for me as the hole was too large, possibly due to my age but it was relatively painless and it seems to be very successful, i wsa the first failure for my hospital. I hope this goes someway to reassuring you.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
(female)

Caroliz HB User

Hi Nuala, How did they diagnose you? I recently have had 2 Plain Echo's and 2 stress Echo's. I was told they were normal until I asked to see the reports and I started questioning various things. I have to have another repeat in 10 days. I also suffer from breathlessness. I also have a fast heart rate which they are now trying to control.

Good Luck To You.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
(female)

Caroliz HB User

[QUOTE=nuala]Hi Caroliz, I had an echo after I was referred by my GP who heard a mumur, they followed this up with a camera down my throat, I cant remember the proper name sorry, and after that i was put on the waiting list for the surgery. Like you I have always had a racing heart, even when resting, and breathless climbing stairs even thought I was exercising regularly but Id never thought anything of it til the diagnosis. My heart beat is less noticable following OHS but I still have the breathlessness, Im hoping that its still early days for improvements, the nurse says realistically it will take 6
Hope that you get some answers soon, its very frustrating constantly waiting and worrying. Nuala
I think Nuala the "down the throat camera" is called a Transesophageal Echocardiogram". This shows more than the regular transthoracic echo. I think I will be scheduled for this soon. Yesterday was a bad day. I am on Sotolol to slow my heart rate and keep BP down. It went the opposite. The HR went to 98 and BP shot up to 147/60 and I was sweating terribly. It is the Systolic that I am having a problem with.

I hope your procedure kicks in soon and you feel a whole lot better. You are in my prayers.

Last edited by Caroliz; 06-22-2005 at 07:56 AM.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
(female)

hypokelly HB User

Dearest Ahall,
I know what you are going through, my daughter has congenitial heart disease.One of her defects was an ASD, but she also had an interupted aortic arch,which was emergency open heart surgery at 2days of age.She was full term and weighed a whopping 9lbs 3oz.She has had 2 open hearts since.
She is now 12( going on 20)
Heart surgery is scarey, and even worse when its your child,cardiology has come a long way.
Good luck and take care of your precious daughter,
kelly

Old 06-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #8
(female)

born2bwild HB User

I hope everthing goes well with your daugther's ASD closure. If she has no other heart problems then she should grow up to be perfectly healthy and active. They tell me it is the most common type of CHD and easily repaired. now they are able to detect these defects at a younger age or even during pregnancy and repair them sooner, sparing the child any complications at a later age. You can actually go a long time before it is detected as i am 41 and having my repair in August for my ASD. I probably started having signs about 10 years ago but really i was always healthy and active so the doctors never questioned my heart or did any testing, but i do have some complications because of my age and how long it has been.

Good luck with your little one.

Closed Thread