It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2005, 02:56 AM   #1
(male)

DarkChange HB User
Is it normal that...

Is it normal that when I stand up that my heart starts beating faster? sometimes I get a bit dizzy too but yeah i always get the fast heart beats though when I stand up from something...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 06:43 AM   #2
(male)

richdaws1984 HB User
Re: Is it normal that...

Hello,

Yeah - it's normal for your heart rate to increase when you stand up.

I think it can vary between 10-30 beats from sitting to standing.

Your heart is basically preparing for something more strenuous that sitting down, so it pumps blood faster to all parts of your body.

As regards the dizziness, from sitting to standing you shouldnt really get dizzy. If you are lay down for a while and then get up then you might get a dizzy for a few seconds, like a head rush. Just while you get "adjusted."

I get this all the time. Dont worry about it! The more you check these things the more you needlessly worry and then the more you check, the more you worry.........you get the idea! lol

Rich

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkChange
Is it normal that when I stand up that my heart starts beating faster? sometimes I get a bit dizzy too but yeah i always get the fast heart beats though when I stand up from something...
Everyone's heart beats somewhat faster when they exert themselves. But, normally, one doesn't notice their heart's beat. If you would ask a hundred people if they noticed what their heart was doing when they stood up, most would tell you that they have no idea or knowledge of what their heart is doing when they stand up. And..... they certainly don't get dizzy.

What that tells me is that your heart is not only beating faster, when you stand up, but also it is beating hard enough for you to notice it, and the timing and nature of your heart's beating is probably off a little.

If I had to guess....... something is irritating your heart, and causing it to misfire a little. It could be from cigarette smoking if you or someone else nearby smokes. It could be from coffee or soda. It could be from drugs. It could be from allergies.

How long have you been experiencing this? Does it happen all the time? If it is just once in a long time, then it probably isn't a major problem. If it happens all the time, you need to find out what is irritating your heart and avoid it.

The only one who may be able to determine if you have a heart related problem is a medical professional.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:26 AM   #4
(male)

DarkChange HB User

Hi people thanks for the posts!

I honestly dont know how long I had this...maybe for a very long time but it might be much more normal than I think...what I notice is sometimes when I stand up is that my head sort of get hot! it feels like there is alot of pressure or something going on then it goes away very quick, I get it rarely but I had it really badly when I drove with my parents somewhere and when I got out of the car I had that feeling and I also had dizziness I guess because my vision started flahing a bit. Any idea from here on?

Old 06-24-2005, 06:24 AM   #5
(female)

nuni HB User

Beerzoids,
Are you obsessed with allergies or what? I have been reading your posts for quite a while and....allergies , allergies, allergies. As a health care professional I am a little bit annoyed... There are a lot of other thinks which can cause a lot of symptoms....but you are always referring everything to allergens and irritants. I am not saying that this could not be possible but....as I said could be something else. Did you ever think that it might be from the fact that he is tall? That usualy taller people experience a sudden drop in their blood pressure accompanied by tachycardia when they change position from sitting to standing, have you considered that? And that it is absolutely normal for them. I am presuming that he is tall, to help him better I will need a lot more of information here. So without a little bit of assessment I can't tell him that this is for sure.
I know you have been very helpful for a lot of people here but everybody is different so we can't generalize thinks. People on this board are looking , most of the time, for a similar experience rather than a presumption.
I hope I didn't offend anybody.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:54 AM   #6
(male)

richdaws1984 HB User

Hey Nuni,

Nice post....maybe slightly aggressive!!! lol

I soooooo agree with your comment about people using these boards to find others with similar problems. Thats exactly what ive done and i love this board for helping me and advising me.

I was getting a bit frustrated myself with people like Willdo. Please dont take any offence by this because people (including me) really appreciate the time you put in and comments you write - But dont try and diagnose somebody over the internet!

If you have the capabilities to make a diagnosis on a heart problem by reading a thread which is a paragraph long then you are better than any doctor on earth!

At the end of the day if you have a problem with your heart the 1st place to go is the doctors then these boards! Not the other way round!

People like such as Willdo (sorry to keep using you) try an give answers to peoples questions - which is fair enough - but people shouldnt come to these boards asking people to analyse there ECG results, etc... - thats what doctors are there for!

Thats my little piece anyway!

Serious didnt mean to offend in anyway.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuni
Beerzoids,
Are you obsessed with allergies or what? I have been reading your posts for quite a while and....allergies , allergies, allergies. As a health care professional I am a little bit annoyed...
There is a direct relationship between the neurohormonal system and problems with either heart rhythm or hypertension. That is why many heart medicines target the neurohormonal system. I wonder why you didn't learn this in studying to become a "health care professional"?

Healthboards is supposed to be a peer to peer forum where people experiencing health problems can share their experiences with others. Many times, we can get help here, with our illnesses, from other disease sufferers, whereas our own "health care professionals" are not helping us enough.

Quote:
There are a lot of other thinks which can cause a lot of symptoms....but you are always referring everything to allergens and irritants.
As a health care professional, you need to listen to your patients better. My note that you are referring to said: "If I had to guess....... something is irritating your heart, and causing it to misfire a little. It could be from cigarette smoking if you or someone else nearby smokes. It could be from coffee or soda. It could be from drugs. It could be from allergies."

As a "health care professional" are you saying that normally, when someone's heart is not beating correctly, that an irritant is usually not involved?

Quote:
I am not saying that this could not be possible but....as I said could be something else. Did you ever think that it might be from the fact that he is tall? That usualy taller people experience a sudden drop in their blood pressure accompanied by tachycardia when they change position from sitting to standing, have you considered that? And that it is absolutely normal for them. I am presuming that he is tall, to help him better I will need a lot more of information here. So without a little bit of assessment I can't tell him that this is for sure.
Sounds like voodoo medicine to me. What are you proposing, to cut off his feet, making him shorter?

Quote:
I know you have been very helpful for a lot of people here but everybody is different so we can't generalize thinks. People on this board are looking , most of the time, for a similar experience rather than a presumption.
I hope I didn't offend anybody.
People, on this board, are asking their peers for advice because they can't get relief from their misery from health care professionals.

I have heart failure, hypertension and other serious health problems. I have been able to make significant improvements in my health because I understood the relationship between allergens, irritants and my neurohormal system. If you really took the time to read through my notes you will also notice that I also stress proper diet.

During your medical education, did you learn anything about the neurohormonal system? Do you realize that many heart medicines target the neurohormonal system? If you did then you will also realize that the medical profession also realizes the relationship between allergens, irritants and heart problems.

Last edited by Machaon; 06-24-2005 at 07:41 AM.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #8
(female)

nuni HB User

"In order to understand postural hypotension, imagine the body as a column of fluid. When we’ve been lying down for a while, the column is horizontal, so the fluid pressure is equally distributed from head to toe.
When we stand up, the fluid column becomes vertical, causing the fluid pressure to increase at the bottom of the column, and fall dramatically at the top. This pressure drop must be corrected, otherwise blood flow to the brain will drop, and we'll get light-headed or pass out.
HOW DOES THE BODY COMPENSATE FOR VERTICAL POSTURE?
1) The heart is stimulated to increase its output by increasing the number of heart beats per minute, the volume of blood pumped per beat, and the force with which the heart squeezes. We can actually feel this happening, from time to time, when we stand up.
2) When we stand, blood vessels throughout the body undergo dynamic changes. The muscular walls of arteries constrict, and veins of the lower body contract increasing blood pressure and, in effect pushing blood upward toward the heart and brain.
The net effect is that, if all components of the circulatory reflexes are working properly, the move from lying to standing usually proceeds without symptoms.
At one time or another, we’ve probably all experienced mild postural hypotension from standing up too quickly. As long as it occurs only occasionally, there’s little cause for alarm."

Old 07-15-2005, 03:28 AM   #9
(male)

fry HB User

Hi darkchange

just wanted to say that I get a similar feeling of pressure in the head when I stand up but I also get a pounding pulse which SLOWS DOWN as this is happening only to speed up seconds later, so effectively I get the opposite of you!!

Is this normal does anyone know????

I'm 5'6" by the way so a lot closer to the ground than most!!!!

Closed Thread