It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

MrsPM HB User
Question Accelerated heart rate upon awakening?

Hi! This is my first post on this site.

I was wondering if anybody has experienced a rapid heart rate when waking up.
This has happened to me many times; I've experienced it both in the middle of the night and morning. Does anybody know what causes it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
(female)

Caroliz HB User
Re: Accelerated heart rate upon awakening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPM
Hi! This is my first post on this site.
I was wondering if anybody has experienced a rapid heart rate when waking up.
This has happened to me many times; I've experienced it both in the middle of the night and morning. Does anybody know what causes it?
One month ago I woke to a very rapid irregular heart rate. I have had similar in the past (not upon awakening though) and they quickly abated. This one was accompanied by SOB and severe fatigue. I went to the ER room and was diagnosed with Atrial Fribilation and was admitted. They used Corvert IV to convert to Normal Sinus Rhythm. Scard the daylights out of me and I am now on meds to keep these from happening.

Good Luck To You.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
(male)

rayinbfd HB User
Talking Re: Accelerated heart rate upon awakening?

Hi. Before you start thinking along the more serious avenues of heart problems I would like to su**est that your morning palpitaions may only be an anxiety attack, I have suffered with depression and anxiety for many years and morning palpitations are one of the symptoms of this illness. Have you recently experienced something that has upset you.

Old 06-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
(male)

parabellum HB User

I have similar problem, but it was hard pounding heartbeat, not rapid heartbeat or skipping heartbeat.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
(female)

MrsPM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinbfd
Hi. Before you start thinking along the more serious avenues of heart problems I would like to su**est that your morning palpitaions may only be an anxiety attack, I have suffered with depression and anxiety for many years and morning palpitations are one of the symptoms of this illness. Have you recently experienced something that has upset you.
Thanks for your response.

I suppose it may be anxiety related. I noticed sometimes it happens when I awake from a dream or I'll wake up with something on my mind. However, I'm currently being treated for paroxsymal something tachycardia and I'm taking Inderal. The Inderal's helping a great deal, but I still get periods of rapid or pounding heartbeat and occasionally my heart feels like it flutters or skips a beat, but it goes away in a short period of time. I particularly noticed this when I change positions.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User

did you get up when you noticed it? because when you just wake up and get up while still slightly asleep, the motion from sleep to wake and moving at the same time will cause the heart to "speed" up, happens to me all the time. Tho i do have pvc's, but im sure they are unrelated.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
(female)

MrsPM HB User

No, it happens while I'm still in bed. I read that the heart rate is lowest right before awakening and highest right after. I have tachycardia so I guess that combined with the heart being fastest after waking up causes me to feel the rapid beating.

Closed Thread