It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #1

Chrislynn HB User
What is Wrong with Me????

I posted a few weeks ago about chest pain. Well, I still have it and now there is burning and pain in my chest and my left arm and left shoulder blade hurt. Sometimes it feels like it's muscular and other times it's sharp pains with burning and sometime I feel like I am hyperventilating and I keep taking deep breaths. I also feel very tired and get dizzy and nauseous at times. Just yesterday I noticed pain on the left side of my chest when I'm swallowing solid food.

I am a 33 year old female, no serious health problems, normal weight, I do not smoke or drink or eat red meat. I am out of shape however. I really need to get my muscle tone back. I just started doing some yoga yesterday. I do not like to exercise and I have not worked for a couple of months since I moved across country so I have not had much physical activity other than cleaning the house. The move was extremely stressful and a HUGE mistake. I have been under much stress and my dog just died a couple of weeks ago. So I have been stressed and upset. I just feel plain yucky and I do not feel well enough to do much of anything.

So of course I'm confused as to whether my pains are from stress and depression or something else. My parents are so worried about me and they are begging me to go to the ER. I do not have health insurance but I know they will accept me at the emergency room but of course I will get stuck with a big bill which will not be good for my stress. My b/f on the other hand thinks I just need to exercise and stop stressing out.

I just would like an unbiased opinion based purely on what I am saying. I am debating on whether or not I should go to the ER tomorrow. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Chrislynn; 06-25-2005 at 07:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2005, 07:18 AM   #2
(male)

Lukus HB User
Re: What is Wrong with Me????

does the pain come at rest or when you are exerting effort? Do you wake up at night suddenly to breath ( do you feel air hunger)? have you noticed any blue colorations on your lips or fingers?

Old 06-26-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

If you had insurance, I would say the minimum you need is a stress test with nuclear markers administered by a cardiologist. This is to eliminate angina caused by partial blocking of one or more coronary arteries.
If you go to the ER what they will do is give you an ECG, charge you a fortune and say it shows no evidence of heart disease. With your symptoms, this will be nearly worthless information.
EVERYONE with coronary blockage gets told the ECG reveals nothing so the test is usually worthless.

Again, you are at THE decision of U.S. medical care, how much health care can you afford to buy! Sad but true.
I don't know the out of pocket cost for the stress-nuclear scan but I'd bet it probably exceeds a $$grand$$! If the results show a blockage, many more $$grand$$ are required for treatment.
I don;t know how you'd get it done cheaply.

Unless going to the E/R can somehow be picked up by Medicaid or some local welfare agency, I'd say don't go unless you have a stash at the bank, or rather, I WOULDN'T GO!
But the choice is yours.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-26-2005 at 09:21 AM.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:58 AM   #4

Chrislynn HB User

Lukus- the pain comes and goes but it is usually there most of the time. It happens at rest and it happens when I'm up and about. No I have not noticed any blue discoloration.

Lenin- as far as not being able to tell if something is wrong from an EKG, maybe that's true but most likely they would do blood work at the ER and cardiac enzymes will show if you are having a heart attack. MY dad went to the er with buring in his chest and they did an EKG, chest x-ray and blood work and determined tht he was having a massive heart attack. Although I find it hard to believe that any of my arteries are blocked at my age and how healthy I eat. I am just tired of feeling like this and want some answers.

Another thing I did not mention was that I have been on a beta blocker since January for migraine headaches. I started at 20mg/ per day, went to 40mg and now I am on 30mg. Would this help with chest pain if it was in fact heart related? My doctor that prescribed it told me that beta blockers could mimic heart attack like chest pain.

Last edited by Chrislynn; 06-26-2005 at 01:04 PM.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
(female)

heartcreature HB User

I gotta agree on the ER thing. Yes they will likely do blood work, but it would only indicate a problem if you are having a heart attack or have had one very recently. They will do an ECG and probably a chest xray too. Most likely it won't tell them anything. Your symptoms do sound concerning except for the part about the swallowing solid food. That sounds more like a hiateal hernia which can also mimic heart attack pain. Also, look at the side effects of your beta blocker. Some of them can cause chest pain. Did the pain start after the beta blocker or before?

Old 06-26-2005, 07:16 PM   #6

Chrislynn HB User

heartcreature-

the pain started after I started taking the beta blocker but I have been on the b-blocker since late January and the pain has been worse the past month. I felt fine at 20mg and my headaches would not go away so my doc upped my dose to 40mg. I lowered myself to 30mg a month ago and now I am cutting myself down to 20mg. My doctor initially told me that 20mg was of Nadolol was a good amount for someone my size.

Last edited by Chrislynn; 06-26-2005 at 07:20 PM.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #7
(female)

trucky HB User

I can relate to the discussion about symptoms AND the various tests.

Along these lines: I am tapering off Zoloft because it kept me up at nite and caused terrors and palpitations. Then I was on Inderal to bring down the palpitations and I ended up with skipped heartbeats every other beat! Went off the Inderal, the missed beats disappeared. Meanwhile the primary doc did ECG and it was OK, and a 24-hour Holter monitor--OK also. My question: will these 2 tests reveal more about my arterial health than just the ECG? I am extremely dizzy every morning and listless most of the day, often falling asleep. The folks at the depression forum say it sounds a WHOLE lot like Zoloft withdrawal.
I have a phobia about cardio issues due to my dad also having a coronary heart attack @ 46, so I'd really appreciate your input and suggestions. T

Closed Thread