It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 05:56 PM   #1

Chrislynn HB User
My heart rate is too low for my age

I went to the ER today because of chest pain that I have been having and because I have been feeling very weak and sick. Everything checked out ok (EKG and Chest x-ray) but they had me hooked up to a heart monitor for an hour and told me that my heart rate was too low for my age. It was in the 40-50 range when it should be in the 70-80 range. YIKES! No wonder I have been feeling so rotten lately. I have the heart rate of a 70 year old woman! I have had ZERO energy and I could just sleep ALL day. I'm always tired and get worn out very easily. I NEVER used to be like this. I have been taking the B-blocker Nadolol for my migraines since January of this year. I started at 20mg and then went up to 40mg. I went back to down to 30mg and now I am at 20mg again and plan to go down to 10mg and then OFF completely!

By the way, the ER doc dx'd me with costochondritis. (inflammation of the ribs). I have done some research and it seems to fit my symptoms to a tee.

Has anyone else experienced this from Nadolol or some other B-blocker? I am very upset that this drug has caused me to feel this way. I have been miserable for the past 5 months. I thought I was dying! I will be so happy to feel like a normal healthy 33 year old again!

Old 06-27-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
Inactive

jpos HB User
Re: My heart rate is too low for my age

Beta blockers are used to slow down heart rate. I am on one specifically for that as I have Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia. I, also, have costochondritis, but rarely have a problem with it anymore except doing certain things guarantee it will kill me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 08:24 AM   #3

Chrislynn HB User

Right. I understand beta blockers are used to lower your heart rate. But when a 33 year old female with a healthy heart has the heart rate of a 70 year old woman, that is not good.

JPOS, as far as the costochondritis goes, how long did you have it?

Last edited by Chrislynn; 06-28-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

holeinheart HB User

Hello Chrislynn , l know exactly how you felt , l'm in uk and have a heart beat lower than 70 all the time! daytime l beat at 50 , if excited l can go up to a whopping 65-70 but at night............well sometimes l get afraid to go to sleep in case l dont wake up as my heart beat drops below 40 , l have been in heart faliure before, when it gets past the point of no return ( for me) l get very painful angina .
The lack of energy is terrible , its almost like someone has 'disconnected you from the mains' at times! l can feel O.K. then just go grey, sweaty amd want to sleep , which l do.
l am so pleased you have managed to sort yours out , at 33 years old with your life ahead of you , you must have been so scared. l know when mine started 21 years ago when l was just 30 l thought my life was over. But here l am still 'twittering' away at people and enjoying a quiet life down by the water.
Anyhow best wishes, glad your feeling better. Holeinheart XXXX

Old 06-29-2005, 11:02 AM   #5

Chrislynn HB User

holeinheart,

Well I certainly hope I have figured out the cause. The real test will be when I am off the beta blockers. I still feel very tired as I have not completely come off the b-blockers yet.

Are you on medication for your condition?

Old 06-29-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
Inactive

jpos HB User

Chrislynn, I understand what you're saying about heart rate, but you asked if anybody experienced slow rate with BB's. My cardio wanted to get me into the 50's (bpm), but he said my heart wouldn't cooperate. Mind you, if you're not aiming for that and you are symptomatic, that is no good. For some BB's cause fatigue in and of themselves.
As far as the costo, I have had it since early '99. I finally got it under control with 3 shots to my chest and 3 to my ribs. What a relief! Now, as I already said, it only bothers me doing certain things and will let up with just a bit of time and rest, and maybe a little help from an OTC med. I hope that helps.

Last edited by jpos; 06-29-2005 at 12:38 PM.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:23 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

holeinheart HB User

Hi, chrislynn.
l take a huge number of medications each day including tablets to get rid of excess water in my system, high pain killers, medium pain killers and 'away with the fairys ' painkillers! l also take a melt drug that goes under my tongue for headaches ( low blood pressure) l have a G.T.N. spray, a spray for my nose, one for my throat and drops for my eyes, a drug for my digestion / bowel problems, a drug to knock me out if l havent slept for 5 nights in a row, a relaxing drug for nightimes if my leg/hip pain gets out of control and an anti sickness drug and an assortment of creams to help with the skin tightness/pain. so in all thats 15 different drugs and creams!
No wonder l rattle when l walk! my hubby used to call me 'leaky-sqeaky' but now he just calls me darling! (thats since l whacked him round the ear)
l had another sleep/wake/sleep night last night, after 20 years of it l still have difficulty and get cross with myself , l couldnt stand up straight at 8 am so l went back in bed for another half an hour , rolling from one side of the bed to the other until l was more mobile ( its a good excuse to watch a.m. telly as well)
Hopefully your low heart rate is just down to the BB,l would hate for you to have it on a permanent basis as you do have to rethink your life around it.
lf l want to go out l have to make sure l can sit down somwhere, park the car near to a shop, get something to drink /eat if needed and also not be to far away from adult help , l carry a drug pack with me, but oh my god if l go abroad ,which l havent been allowed to do since June 2002 , its letters from Doctors, injectable drugs, back up drugs and oxygen in the hotel or on board the boat in case l get short breathed!
The last time l went away l became ill at the maya ruins in mexico just after hubby had proposed to me ( sheer shock probably!) my legs blew up from toe to hip , plus my hands and face, l couldnt get a full breath, heart decided ( bless it) to drop to 41 beats a minute and l was kept in the ships hospital over night to 'correct' the fact that stupid woman here had not taken her frusemide that day ( slap, slap my legs!)
its so easy to forget . l cant take a number of heart based drugs , they have tried me on an assortment of them, but the trouble is one of my conditions reacts to the drug and another conditions gets worse, so l'm a bit stuck, its my A.N.D. that lowers my heart rate somwhat , but what the heck, if l'm going to have somthing ''nasty at least its a rare one!!!!!! best wishes holeinheart

( still laughting at my sore nose)!

Closed Thread