It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Elevated HR after eating

I've been recovering from a bout of panic/anxiety attacks with multiple symptoms, but mainly rapid HR and pounding heart. After heart tests were okay and blood/urine tests were okay, I was told it's probably anxiety. I'm still having periods where my heart will go from about 65 (normal for me) to 75 or 85. It's not that high, but still doesn't feel right. I've noticed it almost always happens after I eat lunch and/or dinner. I never eat too heavy and don't usually feel like I have indigestion. Anyone else have this similar problem? Know if it's related to something other than anxiety?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Elevated HR after eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by katidid95
I've been recovering from a bout of panic/anxiety attacks with multiple symptoms, but mainly rapid HR and pounding heart. After heart tests were okay and blood/urine tests were okay, I was told it's probably anxiety. I'm still having periods where my heart will go from about 65 (normal for me) to 75 or 85. It's not that high, but still doesn't feel right.
There is more to the heart beat than just the beats per minute. When a heart gets irritated, it can cause the heart to beat harder than normal, and when a heart gets irritated, it can also cause the heart to fire at the wrong time.

Quote:
I've noticed it almost always happens after I eat lunch and/or dinner. I never eat too heavy and don't usually feel like I have indigestion. Anyone else have this similar problem? Know if it's related to something other than anxiety?
If you consume too many of the wrong types of carbs during one meal, it can cause the heart to beat incorrectly. If you eat or drink things that you are allergic to, it can cause the heart to beat incorrectly.

There are many things that can cause a heart to beat incorrectly.

Doctors have checked out your heart and have not found any damage, so, it would seem that, at this time, your heart has tolerated the beating problems fairly well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

Thanks for the replys. Yes, there are so many things that can cause elevated HR, etc. That's what is so irritating, right? I have given up caffeine and only drink water with meals (I've almost all but given up my wine). I eat a low carb diet, so meals are usually a protein and a vegetable (no pasta, potatoes, rice, etc.) I feel like I'm so damn healthy...what gives?

Old 07-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
(female)

happybunny HB User

Remember our hearts are pumps and are designed to adjust to our daily demands on them ie eating/exercise/stress etc. If they did not then we would have cause to worry. The fact that they do adjust by a higher pulse is a good thing, shows all is working well. Your increase seems to be an OK thing. 75/85 is not high. Relax and enjoy your meals.

Heart patients are told not to exercise straight after meals and I can bear this out - I used to get angina due to my blocked vessels if I want walkies after a meal as the muscles and guts were in competition for what was for me in short supply. That's because the guts need the best blood supply straight after a meal. So most people don't go swimming then either. Also anyone told to measure their own blood pressure is told to do it when they have not just eaten a meal. Again guts rule - they affect the readings. They need the extra blood supply right then to digest the food. That is normal.

I have recently had my blockages sorted out and I no longer give any thought to walking after lunch. I wouldn't swim or run straight after a meal but minor exercise & digesting is perfectly within the scope of even a repaired heart! But it may need to increase its rate a bit - that's normal.

So if you want to monitor your pulse/ bp then do it when you have not eaten, or exercised and when you have just sat quietly for 15 minutes chilling out.

Why not enjoy a well balanced diet including brown rice/pasta, wholewheat bread or oats products, plenty veg & fruit, oily fish like salmon tuna or sardines, some chicken, tablespoon walnuts/almonds and a glass or two of red wine? that plus exercise you enjoy and you have the best of healthy options.

Last edited by happybunny; 07-01-2005 at 04:22 PM.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the replys. Yes, there are so many things that can cause elevated HR, etc. That's what is so irritating, right? I have given up caffeine and only drink water with meals
Sounds like you have found out that certain drinks bother your heart's beat, and that is why you only drink water. I've got insulin resistance. My system does not handle carbs, like sugar, too well. Since I've been on an insulin resistant diet, I've seen major improvements in my health, but I still have a ways to go. I can't take sugar, and I can't take artificial sweeteners. So, like you, I just drink water with my meals. It works.

Quote:
(I've almost all but given up my wine). I eat a low carb diet, so meals are usually a protein and a vegetable (no pasta, potatoes, rice, etc.) I feel like I'm so damn healthy...what gives?
You have obviously researched your symptoms and made some very informed decisions.

I have major heart disease. For me, it was either get my heart beat under control, and my blood pressure down, or I would be looking for a DSL line from six feet under. I have learned a lot fighting this heart disease over the past couple of decades, but I still have a lot of unanswered questions.

In your case, let's say that, for some reason, your heart has just become more sensitive. So...... anything that can get your hormones overproducing or underproducing, can cause your heart to misfire.

Stress and anxiety will cause the adrenalin glands to pump more hormones into your body. Your recent loss of a loved one could be causing part of your problem. Hormonal changes during Peri menopause and Menopause can also effect the way that the heart beats. Just subtle changes to one's heart, as one ages, can effect the heart and make it misfire.

You said in another note that you are going to give your heart misfiring problems another couple of months, or so, before you decide to get on a heart medicine. Sounds like you have really thought this through.

Even if your increased heartbeat problems are as a result of menopause, or stress, or anxiety, it doesn't make those heartbeat problems any less real.

If you feel that your heart is misfiring too often, and for too many hours, it might be a good idea to get on one of the great heart meds that deal with the hormonal system, in keeping the heart beating more correctly.

Best of luck and health to you!

Old 07-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #6
(female)

Caroliz HB User

I seem to of had these also for a long time now as I brought this up to a gastro doctor a few years back and she did not have a clue.

Then I read somewhere that a person has a super sensitive heart if the HR goes up right after eating. My HR is usually in the eighties and low nineties but after eating it can go to 110-115.

Now, my point. Normally one can tell if the heart beat is in normal sinus rhthym even though it is thumping harder and faster.

Last month after drininking coffee and laying back down and dozing off, I awoke to a bad irregular heart rate. Scary. I went to the ER room after an hour and I was in Atrial Fib. They had to convert me back to normal sinus rhytm.

Chocolate is also a cuprit for me and YES, some carbs.

Old 07-02-2005, 06:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroliz
Now, my point. Normally one can tell if the heart beat is in normal sinus rhthym even though it is thumping harder and faster.
Did you really mean that someone can determine, or tell, if their heart beat is in "normal sinus rhythm" when it is beating harder and faster? Or did you mean to say that someone can't tell? Was that a typing mistake?

Last edited by Machaon; 07-02-2005 at 06:06 AM.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #8

redherring HB User

Quote:
I've been recovering from a bout of panic/anxiety attacks with multiple symptoms, but mainly rapid HR and pounding heart. After heart tests were okay and blood/urine tests were okay, I was told it's probably anxiety. I'm still having periods where my heart will go from about 65 (normal for me) to 75 or 85. It's not that high, but still doesn't feel right. I've noticed it almost always happens after I eat lunch and/or dinner. I never eat too heavy and don't usually feel like I have indigestion. Anyone else have this similar problem? Know if it's related to something other than anxiety?

My HR elevates after eating, especially a high carb and salt laden meal. This is a normal thing. The body goes through a whole host of functions in order to breakdown the food product. So it stands to reason that the heart rate and blood pressure will be elevate as the food is metabolized.

Oh and another thing that might help, if you do a search on my handle on this site, you'll see I asked this very same question about a year ago. I was anixety ridden last year. I think when one is anxiety ridden, they become hypervigilant to their heartbeat and other bodily functions.

Take care.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
(female)

Caroliz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
Did you really mean that someone can determine, or tell, if their heart beat is in "normal sinus rhythm" when it is beating harder and faster? Or did you mean to say that someone can't tell? Was that a typing mistake?
I should of said, "I" can tell the difference if "I" am in NSR vs A-Fib. My doctor is pleased that I can tell the difference as some he said, cannot.

Closed Thread