It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
(male)

DarkChange HB User
Red face Did I just have a mild heart attack???

Man I honestly dont know whats going on here...

First of all im 17 and I dont see why this would happen but you help me decided if it was a mild one since I read that some heart attacks arent even painful at all.

I was laying on the couch a bit because I felt tired (thats what I also noticed lately, im very tired even if I sleep forever...and I was never like that.)
Then I noticed this tightness in my chest and it really did feel like a tightness, but more from the inside. It hurt a little tiny bit, just so you know though I had these happening to me before more than 4 times already and they last for about 20 minutes, they hurt from the middle of the chest and it felt really sore and achy and it sort of felt paralyzed too, just this feeling there that made me want to touch my chest cause it felt like there was something there, but this time it hurt just a little bit but my left hand and some of my right hand felt numb and tingly, I got very dizzy, kind of like youre about to pass out, but I diddnt, and I had shortness of breath and my chest area felt really weird kind of like I couldnt even feel it when I breathed in and out...ALSO I had tightness around my jaw, its hard to describe how it felt. So was it a mild heart attack?

Old 06-30-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
(male)

parabellum HB User
Re: Did I just have a mild heart attack???

It is highly unlikely to be a heart problem at your age (unless you have congenital defect).

only other emergency situation is "collapsed lung", go get a chest x-ray to rule that out.
if you are male, young, tall, and skinny, pneumothorax is very possible.

if it is not those 2, remaining possibilities are not that urgent.

1. stomach problem (acid reflux disease).
2. inflamation of lung
3. pain in muscle or rib joint

to test if you have pneumothorax, do the following test.
1. breathe in really deep, if you have pain or cough, that's not good sign
2. stand up and then ben down to touch the toe with your fingers,
if you have pain, not good.
3. lie down on left side and then right side, if you feel your heart beating
strangely, not good.
4. jump up and down, pain is not a good sign.

if you did all of above, and didn't cause you pain, you don't have collapsed lung.

Last edited by parabellum; 07-01-2005 at 12:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
(female)

Trainor HB User

Hi DarkChange,

I wanted to add that the symptoms sound somewhat like anxiety as well...I looked back at some of your previous posts and saw that you've mentioned anxiety before and I don't want to trivialize your symptoms, but share my mom's experience with similar symptoms. A few weeks after she survived her cardiac arrest, she experienced similar symptoms to what you're describing...shortness of breath, extreme lightheadedness, tightness/heaviness in chest and a feeling she described as warmth/weird tingling in her chest radiating down both arms. She SWORE she was dying and having a heart attack. A 911 call and several days in the CCU later, they determined it was severe anxiety as a result of surviving such a traumatic event. Heart, neurological, gastric, and pulmonary tests all came back clear. Each episode would last 20-30 minutes and came on without any obvious triggers.

I never realized how much anxiety could affect someone until I watched my mom go through her episodes. She's on klonopin as needed and has found that relaxation tapes and breathing exercises have helped her greatly.

I just wanted to offer anxiety as a possibility. You've probably heard it before, but it is a very real thing. That being said, I hope you and your doctors are able to determine the cause of your symptoms, whatever they may be. Good luck!

Trainor

Old 07-01-2005, 04:47 AM   #4
(male)

DarkChange HB User

Hi,

parabellum, yes Im a male, im young, im skinny AND tall. I did the little self test and nothing happened and thats what worries me...because what else could it be besides anxiety?

Trainor, thanks alot for the response because I DO have an anxiety disorder (was diagnosed with it) but I mean...could it really happen without any triggers? Just like that out of nowhere? Im so sorry about your mom's awful event. What happened to her is my number one thing im scared of in life, I sometimes think just what if it happens if im in the bathroom or somewhere alone where no one can call 911 or anything. Im curious though, why did your mom get it? please dont tell me because of anxiety...

please respond.

PS: just to make sure, I talked to my doc long ago and he found out in a holter monitor test that I had 8 very fast beats and the went normal afterwards...do 8 sudden accelerated beats that return normal mean a dangerous arrythmia?

Last edited by DarkChange; 07-01-2005 at 05:00 AM.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
(female)

Trainor HB User

Hi DarkChange,

My mom's event was caused by a rare, underdiagnosed syndrome called Brugada syndrome. In addition, she was on Flecainide for her afib which can bring on dangerous arythmias in people with Brugada. Of course, the doctors didn't know at the time they prescribed Flecainide that she had Brugada. She most likely never would have had an event if she wasn't on the drug. Anyway, her anxiety was a result of her cardiac arrest, not the cause.

I don't know the answer to your question about what the 8 fast beats mean. But if the doctor was worried about it, they probably would have had you in for an EP study or at least followed up. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much about IF and WHEN something will happen to you. It takes a lot of enjoyment out of life and at 17, you're most likely safe and should be having fun! Sometimes I wish I was 17 again.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #6
(male)

DarkChange HB User

Hi,

I feel so bad for your mom though...I read a bit about that syndrome a few secs ago and they say it might be absent on an ECG and that most common symptoms of it are blackouts, dizziness and sudden death.

Everyone tells me to have fun all the time and that it will really take alot out of your life if you worry all the time but its a bit hard and Im having some trouble with it. Its just too hard to accept that these things can come without trigger points...

Thanks for the helpful response and I really wish you guys the best, by the way how is your mom doing?

Old 07-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
(female)

Trainor HB User

She's actually doing great, thanks for asking. She had a defibrillator put in and the prognosis for people with Brugada and a defibrillator is really good. She's already back to hiking several miles and kayaking, and her event was less than 3 months ago. Either myself or other family members are still with her 24/7 because she still has issues with her short term memory, but that's much improved too. In the beginning, she couldn't take a bath by herself or remember to flush a toilet, but now she's doing her own medications (with supervision to make sure she doesn't double up) and her own bills. It's really amazing watching her recover. I'm learning A LOT.

Yeah, I know you're probably tired of people telling you to have fun. It's not that easy. Are you seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist for your anxiety?

Old 07-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #8
(male)

DarkChange HB User

After my parents change our insurance, the one we have now is a piece of crap since they pay very little for meds and they dont cover anything for anxiety (made my parents spend over 7000 dollars for the 3 ER visits only for my darn anxiety/panic attack...or was it...im still not agreeing with my neuro giving me this diagnosing but oh well what the heck can I do.) and yeah thats about it. When we get a better one they will cover alot and we will just have to pay 10 bucks for a visit to the councelor or psychiatrist.

Closed Thread