It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 01:18 AM   #1
(male)

DarkChange HB User
Hey everyone, I've got a question about cholesterol and CAD or blockages.

hey,

I was wondering, can your arteries be blocked or hardened (maybe same thing?) by just taking in too much cholesterol for one day only? or does it take time till there is so much cholesterol in your blood till it starts to attach to your veins and slowly builds up... Today I've had a bit too much of cholesterol foods, 2 eggs a bit of meat and a hot dog, prolly over 500mg of cholesterol in all.

this might be a stupid question but im very curious, thanks!

Old 07-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
(female)

happybunny HB User
Re: Hey everyone, I've got a question about cholesterol and CAD or blockages.

Takes years to clog up rather than one day. But don't get too complacent. How we eat is a habit.

Go for a healthy diet all year round then you could even take a day or two off and eat junk - by then you will very probably have lost the taste for it. I find the more good healthy fresh un-mucked-about-with food I eat .....the less I want the processed stuff. In fact I don't want the processed stuff at all! The healthy stuff is so nice even without the salt. Just give yourself time for the changover if you are not already into wholefoods.

P.S. Watch out for your saturated fats intake rather than your cholesterol intake. 80% of the cholesterol in your bloodstream is what your own liver makes - from saturated fats in your diet - rather than the cholesterol you actually swallow. Processed foods and a lot of meat are big sat fat foods.

Last edited by happybunny; 07-03-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

I read an article recently from one of the online doctors. A study was done that revealed that 50% of all heart deaths were individuals that didn't have high cholesterol. Anyway, two years ago I had a CT Heart Scan done at a non profit medical center ($250) just to see if I had a problem. The scan takes 100 images of your heart and issues a score. The score that I received was slightly above the norm for someone my age. This surprised me since I never had good cholesterol numbers but the heart was fine. I have since improved the cholesterol numbers through a natural process only because doctors make such a big deal of these numbers. I recently had a test and the only number off was total cholesterol which was 206. Was the doctor pleased? NO. Said it should be 180. I remember years back when the recommended number was below 239. Now it's 180. Do I hear 160 in the near future? I predict that the number for LDL will be lowered by the drug companies from 130 to 110 and the HDL will be raised 20 points. I find all of this very amusing.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
(male)

DarkChange HB User

Wait a sec...50% of them diddnt have high cholesterol? but what killed them then?

Old 07-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #5

bogie HB User

NOT high chol. Heart or vascular problems brought on by inflamation....which hangs up any chol and allows it to build up with time. Even if you had a level of 80...it can still happen. Please and Thanx, Bogie

Old 07-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
(male)

Brian. HB User

150 years ago, there was no such thing ast atheroscelerosis. People who had "calsified arteries" lived in some pain, but nobody died of coronary artery disease.

Doctors tell its the genes. If its my great grand's genes im inheriting, there was no cholesterol problem during his lifetime.

Doctors tell its about red meat and oil. I eat much less meat than my ancestors. And use heart friendly oils like canola and olive oil. Tens of thousands of years humans ate beef and pork and lamb and poultry and eggs. if these caused disease, humans would have been extinct by now.

Doctors tell me it is because of tension. Do I have more tension than those hunters and sailors in my race? I dont know.

Somehow this choelsterol and food story doesnt make sense to me. There must be something more or something else. Unless they find what is it, we live in fear of a plaque rupture or blockage. May be if we listen enough our heart would tell us what way we abuse it...

Last edited by Brian.; 07-11-2005 at 01:13 PM.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkChange
Wait a sec...50% of them diddnt have high cholesterol? but what killed them then?
Any damage to the inner walls of the artery can cause plaque buildup. Recently read smoking can be a cause.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

People died of heart disease centuries ago just as they do today. Probably in lesser numbers because:
1. they more readily died earlier from something else.
2. only the rich could afford to eat meat 2 or three times a day.
3. people actually WORKED hard for their modest amounts of food so they weren't all obese (except for the kings, dukes and bishops!)

MANY of the "died of natural causes" and "died quietly in his sleep" were atherosclerosis caused heart attacks. Because they had no means of measuring ischemia or undestanding what was lumped under the word BLOOD other than a red liquid that is necessary for life, does not mean that the disease process wasn;t going it's merry way. Mother Nature doesn't have to wait for silly humans to put a NAME on something in order to bring it into existence.

An analogy...if 40% of traffic deaths are caused by alcohol , then 60% are not. Does one then come to the conclusion that drunk driving does not kill?

Yes atherosclerosis caused by the buildup of plaque in the coronary arteries is indeed a major killer, perhaps THE major killer. This buildup is impossible with very low blood lipids!

Old 07-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote: This buildup is impossible with very low blood lipids!

As a general statement that may have some validity, but a lipid profile includes HDL and LDL. A high HDL and a low LDL is desirable and the ratio of LDL to HDL is a calculation of significance as well as total cholesterol to HDL.

Exactly the dynamics of lipids to atherosclerosis and how when it is triggered maybe more related to one's genetics and the health of the vascular system than lipids.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #10

bogie HB User

And this......is where the info drops off......................I have a chol level of 123. I do have the "Pattern B" type LDL size lipids. My LDL is 66.....my HDL is 45. I have had all stents block up and 2 out of my 4 grafts block up. I take my supplements and PRAY that I can survive a bit longer because of my "positive actions". Both my parents had bypasses.....but both died of different types of cancer. My genes must play an important role here as does the toxins from my food, air and water. I wish all of us much luck on our adventures!!

Last edited by bogie; 07-12-2005 at 10:18 AM.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie
And this......is where the info drops off......................I have a chol level of 123. I do have the "Pattern B" type LDL size lipids. My LDL is 66.....my HDL is 45. I have had all stents block up and 2 out of my 4 grafts block up. I take my supplements and PRAY that I can survive a bit longer because of my "positive actions". Both my parents had bypasses.....but both died of different types of cancer. My genes must play an important role here as does the toxins from my food, air and water. I wish all of us much luck on our adventures!!
Exactly said. If lipids were the only component, then everyone who has had a bypass/stents should not have a reoccurence of blockage as the post procedure's recommended medication and proper diet will/should lower cholesterol.

My lipid numbers are/have been very good (HDL 38, LDL 95 and 148 total), and I don't need chol lowering medication...but I have CAD and now hope the 14 months old stents hold up.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:58 AM   #12
(male)

Brian. HB User

Lenin,
1. Major part of eskimos' diet was blubber or solid animal fat. Until we introduced them to burgers and french fries, coronary artery disease was unheard of among them.

2. Cholesterol increases risk of ischemia and plaque build up, expecially every point above a total serum of 200 and ratio of 5, medical studies say, but did anybody prove lesser numbers mean lesser risk at any level? I dont know.

3. Plaque is not just cholesterol, its a mixture of tissues, calcium & other things.

4. Nobel prize winning discovery states that plaques originate due to injuries to arteries on which patches of plaque are built up over the years. LDL itself is one of the injurers, but there are plenty of others. Even if cholesterol is very low but there is an injury caused by nicotine, a plaque is bound to build up according to this argument..

6. Low cholesterol per se does not decrease CAD. Dean Ornish study states that unless cholesterol reduction is by natural ways. ie diet, excercise and stuff, it is not going to arrest plaque formation.

7. If reduction of cholesterol by itself reduces risk of a heart attack, why doctors presribe stricty diets along with statins? Anybody would love to hear "take this tiny tablet in the night and eat whatever you want and forget excercise" . It doesnt work that way.

Keep a diet, keep excercising, beat peace with yourself, drink lots of fluids and pray for the best. Statins may help if you have abnormally high cholesterol (I am not sure).. best of luck to all of us

Last edited by Brian.; 07-13-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:58 AM   #13
(male)

Brian. HB User

After the angio, i follow a 75% dean ornish diet (some skinned chicken and small fish now and then) but once every two months I treat myself with a happy meals day- ONLY once in 60 days. Its the treat I give myself for theese big favours I did to myself
1. I stopped smoking after 20 years (I started when I was 18)
2. I stopped eating all processed food
3. I workout an hour a day, 6 days a week
4. I drink 8 glasses of water every day
5. I include lot of green stuff and raw veggies in diet
6. I meditate

After all this and my medications, I dont think my lesions will get worse if I have fried chicken and Macs and pastries once in 60 days. I HOPE I AM NOT HURTING MYSELF BY THAT ONE DAY.

Last edited by Brian.; 07-13-2005 at 03:02 AM.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Interesting information Brian...and if your regimen doesn't stop and possibly reverse your condition nothing will!

Old 07-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #15
(male)

Brian. HB User

Kenkeith,
If your post cannot give me a big boost to my motivation level, nothing can!!

Closed Thread