It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
(male)

thecoinguy1955 HB User
Smile Good news from the blood test

Hi All,

I underwent single bypass open heart surgery, mammary to
LAD on 3/23/05

My cholestrol was at 223 back in january and the cardiologist put me
on 20mg of
lipitor per day.

The first blood test after surgery ( 90 days on the lipitor)
revealed a total cholestrol of 158
and a 3.6 ratio. Pretty darn good you would think? The cardiologist
wanted to DOUBLE the lipitor/OR put
me on an experimental drug by pizer which supposedly reduces the bad
cholestrol and raises the good. I asked if he wants to get me to zero
and he chuckled and said IN ANTICIPATION of total count and the ratio
and the fact he said there's NO WAY we could don this naturally eh
wants me on the new program asap.

I said, well I quit smoking at the end of january. My wife who is
Vietnamese is pushing me toward being more aggressive with a holistic
approach and in fact I've already started accepting her regimen as
well
as excercising, walking, cutting the lawn etc etc. He said no way
can I get the good cholestrol raised to where he wants it ( closer
to 50), nor can I get the total closer to 150 even and so he wanted
me on the program.

I told him I'd get back to him after we returned from looking at
properties in North Carolina which we did a couple weeks ago.

Instead I went to see my primary care guy and took another blood test
last week. He agreed with me by the way on NO EXPERIMENTAL crap and
that we ( the doctors) would be "fools" to not listen to the advice
of
the Asians, again in his words, who have been around for 6,000 years
and don't have the heart disease problems we have must know
something...etc etc etc. Here's the
results now after listening more to my wife ( who absolutely doesn't
want me on any experimental program)

Total Cholestol 134
Tr Glycerides 99
LDL 67
HDL ( good) 47
Ratio 2.9

Time to find another cardiologist I think.

Rgrds
Tom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
(female)

Caroliz HB User
Re: Good news from the blood test

Good for you.

We adopted a Vietnamese Baby (now 4 1/2 going on 21) and looking at her medical background..there is longevity in her family. There are some cancers but very extremely rare, heart disease. Look at their diet.

Crestor is bringing my numbers down well. I too had a cholesterol of 240...5mg Crestor after 6 weeks brought it to 180. LDL was always 130-140. It is now 89. (need to get this to 70) I need to eat more Tuna and Salmon.

I am cuirous about your single by-pass. They will not do a single on me for the distal LAD. They stented this area as far as they could go and treating me with meds.

I agree. I do not want to be a guinia pig for any doctor.

Good Luck to you.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
(male)

Bharat2005 HB User

Whether a keyholesingle bypass will fetch any better results than angioplasty is presently under study in italy.. i wonder how they "test" bypass when with existing guildelines suggest an angioplasty & stenting.

Lipitor goes off patent protection by 2010 which is too close, so pfizer will certainly market something new soithat the $15 billion per annum cholesterol lowering product sales is maintained.

I too feel you need to find another cardiologist urgently, Tom. There was this article in newspaper saying pfizer is spending $800 million to study the Lipitor-torcetrapib combination in 25,000 patients worldwide.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
(male)

thecoinguy1955 HB User

Thanks Caroliz and Bharat2005,

Caroliz, without getting political, you really should go for as many in depth tests on your baby as possible. The US government dropped so many millioins of gallons of herbicide, it polluted the water table in much of the South ( Vietnam). It's a horror story in many of the orphanages. I lived in the country full time between late 2000 and early 2003. I've seen things that would make any human cry. Congratulations by the way, sorry I didn't say that first. What a wonderful journey you all are on.

I was very much attentive of the goings on with keyhole surgery. I feel very positive about the surgeon who did my bypass and all I can say is he told me that the keyhole is years away from being perfected and that I needed about an 8 inch cut, then the chest openned about enough to get a large hand in there. To give you an example of the difference with say a quadruple bypass like what clinton had, they have to open your chest up all the way as they need to get hands in all around the heart which requires a larger opening. I didn't have to go thru that nearly as much.

The stent scares me more than a bypass although I probably would not have said that months ago. The reason is that apparently the mammary rejects cholestrol and for over 20 years , these things when looked at apparently still look clean. As opposed to stents which don't seem to last as long.

Of course I'm not happy with the scar. If anyone asks I'll tell them I was jumped in an alleyway in Bangkok and boy oh boy you should see the guys who jumped me as I won hahaha.

Seriously though, my wife is all over me on the healthy foods and I only wish I listened years ago when people loved me enough to break my you know whats to quit smoking. I probably would not be posting about an open heart surgery experience.

We'll be travelling back to North Carolina next monday for a week and then September it's back to Vietnam for a couple weeks.

Best Rgrds
Tom

Old 07-04-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
(female)

Caroliz HB User

Thanks Tom.

People say how lucky our lil Asian Doll is to have us. No, we are the lucky ones to have this precious angel in our life. There is not a day that goes by that I do not Thank the Man upstairs for blessing us with this special gift from heaven.

You do not want me to start bragging about her as I will not shut up. My Bio kids were never like her.

This is why I have to get well...for her. I will inquire about the Herbacide in the water with her pediatrican, I want only the very best for her. Thanks for mentioning this.

I need to go put her back to bed now. Fire crackers are keeping her awake. I wish you all the best and many years of well being.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
(male)

thecoinguy1955 HB User

Nigh Nigh Caroliz,

For a neat film on Vietnam, go to http://www.vietventures.com look on the left side and scroll down to where it says Vietnam Video courtesy of the Manchu's. You'll need real player which is available above it for a free ********.

You can see my wife and I at a link on the right that says Trade and Travel agreement signed, next to where you see Food, Festivals etc. Click on whee it says more info.......that's me and my wife right next to me.

I was the first American to do such a thing in Vietnam I believe.

Rgrds
Tom

Old 07-07-2005, 08:09 AM   #7
(female)

yorkilvr HB User

I had a heart attack in December of 2003. Have had 5 stents and 7 caths since that time. I had never had a problem with cholesterol, but with my horrible family history doc put me on crestor. I recently had blood work done.
cholesterol was 89
trig was 135 (drank dew during the night-- didnt know they were drawing this)
ldl 27
hdl 45

no one seems to know if this low ldl is really safe. How low is too low for the ldl. Doc seems to make light of this, but I think he really doesnt know the answer. Anyone have any info on this?
Thanks

Closed Thread