It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 02:48 AM   #1
(male)

ro4eva HB User
Culmination of events which led to this...

I'm a 21 year old Caucasian male; 6' tall; about 5-10 pounds (185) overweight at the moment suffering from what I think has to do with the heart and/or circulatory system.

I used to smoke heavily for 3 years. I used to drink a lot on occasions (once a weekend -> drunk).

My thyroid is "mildly hypo" according to tests recently done.

My family has a history of heart problems and diabetes.

During a period beginning New Years 2005 to about the end of February I began taking a "fat burner" pill (Ephedrine, Caffeine being the main ingredients) to help me burn the excess weight off faster. I took this pill regularly - even when drinking.

My first problem happened one morning after a heavy night of booze. My heart was pounding through my head and abdomen. I could feel the vibration while lying down in bed or if I stood up quickly.

This became such a problem when trying to get some sleep that I've suffered from Insomnia. I was prescribed Imovane (Zoplicone) which helped but I stopped it due to drug dependence. Instead, I used melatonin which worked for the most part.

I went for numerous tests in March & April (Echo-cardiogram, Blood, Urine, Electro-cardiogram, physical) but results turned up negative.

I thought nothing of it after that and continued taking the diet pill, drinking and smoking.

June 7, 2005 - I just came in from having a couple of smokes and beers with a buddy. I sit down at my computer to check mail, crank up some music (Ironically a song called 'Rhythm of Life' was playing) and relax. Then it hits me. The onset was sudden:

First - Fast heartbeat + a horrible head-rush which I'd say was a cross between Vertigo/Migraine
Second - Weakness
3rd - Numb fingers/palm and feet

I collapsed on the floor and managed to dial 911. They brought me to the hospital and hooked me up to an ECG machine. My pulse was 150 and my blood pressure - 160/100.

I was given some Lorazepam (Ativan) to "calm me down" and was promptly sent home after my heart-rate went down to 95 from what I remember.

It has been 4 weeks since that "attack" and I'm still experiencing these symptoms:

Fainting
Chest/Upper Abdominal Pain
Pounding/Pulsating heartbeat (head, abdominal and hands - especially when lying down)
Weakness
Tingling & Cold Fingers
Tingling Left Ear
Pressure Headache from behind (starts at neck and goes around to ears)
Blurry Vision

These symptoms are all worse when standing up or upon exertion.

I am due to have an EMG (Nerve Conduction Test); MRI and Blood Glucose Tests done to rule out Diabetes. If anything I think the MRI should be accurate in showing any disease?

Any other tests that can be done?

What could the problem be? I'm thinking it may be a blocked artery (circulation issue) above my heart since only my hands are tingling.

Any idea what it could be?

Last edited by ro4eva; 07-05-2005 at 02:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread