It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User
Is it my heart?

I have been diagnosed with Panic Disorder.

However, I cant shake the feeling that something is wrong with my heart.

My doctor has performed about 4 EKGs (over about a 8 month period), chest x ray, 24 hour holter monitor, and an Echocardiogram. All results came back normal. He says I have a strong heart beat. The only thing he noticed is that my heart skipped a beat when I was wearing the monitor but it was nothing to worry about.

Should I still be concerned or finally believe I do have Panic Disorder?

Thanks

-Angela

Last edited by MissAngela; 07-06-2005 at 03:13 PM.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
(female)

laura3377 HB User
Wink Re: Is it my heart?

I can relate. After experiencing my first panic attack about a year and a half ago, I have been experiencing a lot of anxiety and it is all focused around my heart. I have been to the ER numerous times - all EKG's, blood tests normal. I have worn a Holter Monitor and had an Echo - again normal. At the beginning of May I was having one of my attacks and went to the hospital and they decided to keep me overnight since I had been frequenting the ER with this chest pain. They did a Stress Echo and it was also normal. After all of this you would think I would be a little reassured. Not so! I now have costochondritis from stressing myself out so now my chest really hurts and all of the time too so it makes it even harder not to focus on my heart. I decided that I would go get a second opinion to see if I could put this beast to rest. I did that yesterday. Doc said there wasn't much more he could do for me since I have no risk factors and all my tests have been normal. He said nothing is a guarantee in life but I guess going by what methods they use my chances of CAD at this point are about 1%. The Dr was really nice though and answered all of my questions I had brought with me about symptoms I've been having. I think it's always wise to go for a second opinion if you have any doubts whatsoever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User
Re: Is it my heart?

Well I am 20 years old and have no other "risk factors" I do not believe.... regular blood pressure and cholesterol...

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Is it my heart?

The fact that you have panic disorder is the key here. If you had chest pain and didn't suffer from anxiety attacks or any prior cardiac problems and you received a normal EKG, that wouldn't eliminate the problem entirely. However, panic disorder can mimic symptoms of a heart attack. Sometimes during a panic attack, the victim not only will have chest pain but numbness in the left arm and radiating pain! This is why I'm pretty sure you're okay, especially since your EKG results are normal. I realize that faulty thinking in anxiety disorders, such as "My heart's beating fast- I must be having a heart attack!" can be hard to overcome, but I think that I can safely say that the panic disorder is the real problem here... I do agree though that, if you truly believe that the problem isn't caused by panic disorder, that you should get a second opinion just to be on the safe side .Remember what I told you on the panic disorder board- the disease just wants you to fall into its trap. Don't let it! Good luck and God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-08-2005 at 06:39 AM.

Closed Thread