It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #1

bigtime123 HB User
How Accurate Is A Nuclear Stress Test?

Can Anyone Tell Me How Accurate These Tests Are In Detecting A Blockage Or Any Heart Problems.i Have Had A Regular Stress Test And It Came Back Abnormal.so Then I Had A Sress With Echo And He Said I Had A Strong Looking Heart And Said Everything Looked Great So 4 Months Later Still Having Chest Pain Off And On He Says He Thinks It Is Muscular But Is Willing To Do Anuclear Stress Test.any Help On How Accurate This Test Is Would Be Great.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:46 AM   #2

lannen HB User
Re: How Accurate Is A Nuclear Stress Test?

Well I have done a lot of research on this myself and there doesn't seem to be a specific answer to that question. I had a nuclear stress test and it came back with slightly abnormal results. Do to my age and family history and gender the cardiologist and my PCP both thought the test was wrong. I'm female, at that time I was 32, and have no family history of heart disease. Every Dr I've ever spoken too as well as the information I read stated that those tests have about a 20% chance of either giving a false positive or a false negative result, especially in females due to breast tissue and shadowing. So I was sent for what they called a more accurate test; The Stress Echocardiogram. Those results are supposedly more accurate.
At least in females. You will probably get 20 different answers to your question though. It's frustrating trying to get accurate information on these issues.
Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

Caroliz HB User

Hi there.

I had several Nuclear Cardiolites and all negative until the one last summer that showed "something".

This past Spring, I had Two Stress Echocardiograms, two weeks apart, at two different facilities.

BOTH showed different things and these were done at Heart centers.

One was done on a Threadmill with a drug called 'difinty' using an upright threadmill and the other one was done with "no dfinity" laying down pedaling.

Definity is used so they can see the outline of the heart better especially for females as we seem to have more artifact with breasts.

The only thing that both of these tests showed that was accurate was the E-Fraction.

The Gold Standard is the Heart Cath.

Good Luck To You.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #4
(female)

yorkilvr HB User

I have had 2 of the Nuclear studies. My first was was really not accurate, we already knew of 2 blockages, but did the testing to see if more had developed. the nurse who called with results didn't read the history first, and called excited that no blockages were seen. I burst her bubble real quick when I told her that we already were aware of 2, from a previous cath, but checking for more. . she back pedaled quick, and told me that the test is not the most accurate. I just had another one, since I am still having chest pain. My doc says this test was normal, and that is the end of it. Now they act like i am imaging this pain. My doc is supposed to get a new MRI test that they say is 100% accurate, but not until December. So I am not sure what I will do until then. After I started thinking about this, I actually have had 3 tests. The other one showed that I had some type of scarring on my heart. Emergency heart cath done, nothing was there.. doc said it was shadowing.
Take care

Last edited by yorkilvr; 07-08-2005 at 08:15 AM.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
(female)

Caroliz HB User

My heart cath showed 2 blockages. One at 70% that NEVER (and still does not) show up on any Nuclear test. The one that finally showed "something" last year, had reached 95% blcokage seen on a heart cath. It seems to me with "me" that unless the blockage is well over 70% it will not show up on any testing except the heart cath "with me". I was told that Nuclear studies do show up blockages of 70% or more. Not with me it does not!

Also, I begged for a Cardiac MRI. I had this and this did show the distal LAD that is scarred with transmural and near transmural and regional motion abnormalities. They were SOOOOOO Surprised!~!~! I knew I had a problem 5 years ago. It is a wonder I am still taking nourishment. Now, I see them every 2 weeks to one month intervals for EKG's/Echo's/Holter Monitors and change of meds if necessary.

I will request another MRI in 2-3 months for comparison to the one I had 4 months ago.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
(male)

willbee HB User

I will let you all know I have one Monday.I have three stients and a defibulator ,My Cardiologist was nervous about me having a little bit of sugery and ordered the test.willbee...

Old 12-10-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
(male)

driftermkm HB User

Hello everyone, regarding the Nuclear Stress Test I have read many about that as to why and how to be conducted on this site and others.

My question is: for those who did the test have anyone of you found BAD effects after injecting the Radioactive liquid into your body. Especially those who did the test twice or more thru out many years.

I am in perfect heatlh but my family doctor said I am approaching 50 and it is time to take an indepth look of the performance of my heart. So he ordered a nuclear stress test for me. I am a bit reluctant to go for the test, can anyone share their experience??? Thank you very much

Old 12-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
(male)

driftermkm HB User

Oh I just heard from the doctor office the test is scheduled the coming Tuesday morning ...........can anyone give me advices before I venture to accept that radioactive liquid into my healthy body????

Many many thanks

Last edited by driftermkm; 12-10-2005 at 11:50 AM.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #9
(female)

heartcreature HB User

I've had numerous nuclear stress tests. I'm not aware of any side effects from the radioactive material.
In my case the test was not helpful in diagnosing my heart blockage. It was also not helpful in diagnosing restenosis when my stent began to fail. I do not have alot of faith in the test for myself, but I'm a woman andwas 41 when these were being done. I had a 75% blockage at the top of the LAD that was completely missed by the nuclear scan. There again it could have been the tester and their interpretation of the test results.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:10 PM   #10
(male)

driftermkm HB User
Thumbs up Does healthy body require Nuclear Stress Test?

I am male approaching 50 in two years. During my annual body check up my family doctor arranged for a Nuclear Stress Test for me. He said this test provides 96% accuracy rate for identifying passible heart problems. Only 4% of the patients will be missed unidentified.

As the results of all my other tests proved I am ok so far, now I am kind of reluctant in taking a further NUCLEAR stress test as I understand a radioactive fluid will be injected into my blood stream twice and that really scaring me.

and my questions are: 1) Does healthy body require Nuclear Stress Test?
2) Does your family doctor also recommend the same for you??? and 3) whether nuclear stress test will only be recommended after all other minor heart tests have been exhausted?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

bigtime,

I know firsthand that simple STRESS TEST and STRESS TEST WITH ECHO are not reliable for ruling out blockage. I passed with flying colors, all the while with severe "heartburn" that was attributed to "hypertension."

I continued suffering in silence and then sought out and got an angiogram showing the main trunk of my 3.5 mm. right coronary artery completely blocked (or 97%+ blocked) requiring angioplasty and stent.
I'm sure that had I done the nuclear test the blood flow deficit to a large part of my heart would have been apparent.

My personal feeling is that a HEALTHY person with no signs of ischemia or angina does not need the more invasive and expensive testing like NUCLEAR STRESS and that a plain stress and echo once a decade might be enough. But anyone with suspected angina should NEVER use either ECG, MRI, calcium scoring, stress with or without echo, or worse, AVERAGES (like you're too young) to rule out coronary blockage.

Only nuclear stress or angioplasty stand enough chance of being "on the money!"

My echo-stress test that told me "it's not my heart" put me at a HUGE risk for 4 years and subjected me to a false sense of security all the while knowing, deep in my <starving> HEART, that I was sufferering angina and not GERD or hypertension pain (whatever in blue blazes THAT is.)

That first cardiologist might well have been responsible for my early death...I hope there is a special place in Hell for quacks like that.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-11-2005 at 06:28 AM.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #12

shambbles HB User

Here's how reliable my NUCLEAR stress test was. Had it on Thursday. Dr's office called Friday to say everything was ok. Heart Attack on Tuesday. UGH!!!!

Old 12-12-2005, 05:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Oh God,

That's HORRIBLE shambles.

Of course, there's no guarantee that even the tiniest plaque that allows easy blood flow and thus no symptoms can STILL rupture and cause a clot and a major heart attack. Even a 20% blockage that any cardiologist would call HEALTHY if it showed up on angiography can rupture the next day and cause a clot> heart attack> death!

It's all a game of odds and risk.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:33 PM   #14
(male)

driftermkm HB User

OK my nuclear tests were done today. So far I have no signs of anything bad. HOWever it was scarey the guy who did the treadmill next door didnt feel well and I saw the ambulance staff rushing in the rescue. Before I left I didnt know wat was his status. In here wish him well. HOPE my final report turns out GOOD.

Thanks to those who gave me answers. Best wishes, Merry Christmas and Happy New year.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftermkm
OK my nuclear tests were done today. So far I have no signs of anything bad. HOWever it was scarey the guy who did the treadmill next door didnt feel well and I saw the ambulance staff rushing in the rescue. Before I left I didnt know wat was his status. In here wish him well. HOPE my final report turns out GOOD.

Thanks to those who gave me answers. Best wishes, Merry Christmas and Happy New year.
A stress test requires or should require a MD with the tech to interrupt and halt a test if in their professional opinion there are warning signs and/or thepatient's symptoms prohibit further testing.

A surgeon is on standby during an angiogram even though the statistics according to the AMA is obout .007. There is probably less risk than a stress test.

I personally know of two code blue calls during a stress test. Understandingly there is a high risk to put a heart patient into a procedure that requires the patient to reach a condition that may exceed one's limit. It is difficult to know in advance who is vulnerable or not.

Last edited by started04; 12-14-2005 at 09:06 AM.

Closed Thread