It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

februarygirl HB User
Neurocardiogenic Syncope

Hi everyone, need some advice because I am getting totally frustrated. In 1994 I had an ablation for SVT, this past March had another ablation for returned SVT. Both successful. After my first ablation, I noticed a slight decrease in my heart rate. In February, I pasted out, my heart rate went into the 30's, had a Tilt Test and was diagnosed with NCS. I was told to keep up the salt and water intake. But this very, very frustrating...somedays my heart rate stays in the low 50's and will not move up. Even the high 40's. I feel really weak and tired when this happens. I am 20;bs overweight and in no way an athlete. My cardio keeps telling me not to worry and would like to try me on low dose of Toprol. I am terrified to try the Toprol that my heart rate will go very low. Any ideas???

Thank you
Nancy

Old 07-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Inactive

jpos HB User
Re: Neurocardiogenic Syncope

Hi Nancy, I can understand you being concerned. Did you ask your cardio about it? Is he an electrophysiologist? I don't know what it will do, but with me it actually raised my bp (now, yrs. later it is on the low side again) and it took a calcium channel blocker in addition to slow my heart. BUT I have IST, also.

Taking the beta blocker took away the weakness and most of the fatigue, and it took away the brain fog I was experiencing, it really improved my quality of life. Have you tried salt tablets? My cardio/ep had me take them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
(female)

februarygirl HB User

Thanks for your reply. I do go to an electrocardio. Does the beta blocker cause your low heart rate or did you have before starting the meds? The dr told me that I would feel better and not feel the weakness that I am feeling now. He said that it may lower it a little but give me less of the syncope symptoms. I guess I am just so afraid after passing out with such a low heart rate.

Nancy

Old 07-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #4
(female)

februarygirl HB User

P.S. I have not tried salt tablets yet. But I have been taking in alot of salt in the form of Gatorade and V-8. (Which has caused me to gain lots of weight)

Old 07-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
(male)

aphex23 HB User

februarygirl: Can you give the name of the neurologist you saw in New York who helped you w/ your migraine associated vertigo? A lot of your old posts about this strongly match my recent symptoms.

(I know we are limited to just the doctor's name on here, so don't give contact info beyond that.) Thanks!

Old 07-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
Inactive

jpos HB User

Nancy,
The IST I mentioned is Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia. So, my heart rate needed slowing down. The dr. wanted to get me in the 50's, but my heart "wouldn't cooperate". I am now somewhere in the normal range most of the time. In the beginning I was on a different beta blocker, atenolol (Tenormin) and I needed a calcium channel blocker, verapamil, to help slow the rate down. The dose of atenolol I could take before side effects was very small, that is why he added the ccb.

Give it a try, try a small dose 1st. If you react the same as me and as your dr. predicted, you will feel much better.

Good luck!

Last edited by jpos; 07-12-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
(female)

februarygirl HB User

The Doctor who diagnosed my Migraine Associated Vertigo is Dr. Nancy Nealon. She is excellent - you will love her.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
(female)

februarygirl HB User

Thank you jpos for your answer. It helped to clarify some things with the meds. I guess I really do need to get the courage and try the Toprol.

Nancy

Closed Thread