It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 07:23 PM   #1

DragonLover24 HB User
Unhappy Heart palpitations driving me crazy!! :(

I swear I will go insane. About a month and a half ago I started getting heart palpitations (moderate to large "thumps" in my chest) that have persisted daily and will not stop. I have no other symptoms other then occassional fatigue spells but I have dealt with this for years, even before the palpitations began. (I have been told I may have mild fibromyalgia.) They seem to be worse in the evening after eating dinner.
Here's the thing, no matter WHAT I do, I can't get the pattern to stop. I have avoided food triggers like chocolate, coffee, spicy foods, etc. I have taken potassium (just one 99mg a day cause I don't want to overdose), magnesium (seems to be doing nothing but causing loose stools), and tried to increase my water intake. IT DOES NOT WORK. I have noticed that the palps occur no matter what I eat, whether it's pizza or a salad! The time of the month (which I suspected at first) seems to have no effect, the palps happen whether I am having my period or not! It just doesn't make sense!
Now I do have some heartburn on occassion, and I do suspect I could have digestive problems but the palps are there whether or not I am feeling heartburn. (I have heard of a relation of palps and GERD, is it possible to have GERD and not have heartburn sensations?)
Another nagging symptom I have is excessive yawning spells
that can also get on my nerves.
I am trying not to stress out but I'm a 26 yr. old female who is just getting so frustrated over the palps (which is probably making them worse at times). I am not scared really just annoyed. I have yet to see a doctor but in the meantime I wonder if anyone knows of anything else natural I can try. (Along the lines of things like potassium and magnesium.)
Anyone have experiences like mine? Anybody know what can help? I really don't want to end up on meds like beta blockers if I can avoid it. (I've done LOTS of research on palps.)
Your advice will be so greatly appreciated! I'd think you were an
Thanks to anyone who responds in advance!

~Ami~ <---slowly going crazy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: Heart palpitations driving me crazy!! :(

I have been having this problem for over 4 months not. No doctor has given me ideas on how to remedy other than antidepressants for anxiety, which I will put off for a while longer. My symptoms actually have improved, especially over the last month, but still can be annoying.

I also have more palps after eating - lunch and then a few hours after dinner. I've given up caffeine. I gave up any alcohol for a while, but have slowly introduced one glass of wine here and there. It will make my HR go up, but it's tolerable (and a trade off )

You might also have your Dr. test you for anemia (which I did not have, but am taking extra iron anyway) which can cause hart palps.

On the magnesium, my Dr. recommended magnesium glycinate, a type of magnesium which shouldn't cause loose stools.

I recently had my hormones tested and all were low, which can also cause heart palps. This probably doesn't apply to you. My mom has fibromyalgia, but I don't think that is a symptom, but being tired is. Sorry I don't have more info. to offer, but if it persists your Dr. might be a good source of help (although I have to say mine wasn't particularly).

Old 07-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #3

DragonLover24 HB User

Thank you Katidid for your reply. I definitely need to see a doc but on the same note I am very fed up with them and doubtful they can really help. I guess the least they could do is rule out other problems by doing tests such as an EKG, but after all I've read about heart palps there are numerous causes and "triggers" that are more annoying then anything serious.
Due to my sometimes extreme fatigue spells (which triggers the yawning spells) I wonder if somehow I am anemic, as you suggest. My aunt had borderline anemia after having heavy periods and endometriosis. They put her on iron as well. I take one iron pill for the first seven days of my cycle but after that I am reluctant to take iron because you can overdose on it.
::sigh:: Guess I will have to see a doc one way or another, and get blood tests done to test for all of this.
Thank you, though, for your advice! (I will try that other magnesium.)

~Ami~

ps- You said your hormones were "low". Are you speaking of estrogen and progesterone? I am trying a product called "Resolve" by Syringa, which is a wild yam emollient. I heard it is very effective at balancing hormones naturally. I've only used it a few days so I have yet to be able to give any report on it. You may want to try something of that effect for yourself, though. Just a kind suggestion in return.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

DragonL: Hope you find some answers through the doc and tests, etc. On the hormone issue, I am low on estrogen, progesteron, testosterone and DHEA. They are basically at menopausal levels and I'm still cycling (although I may be missing this month Anyway, I've just started using bioidentical hormones that are compounded for me. This can be a long and tricky process to try and get everything balanced especially at this phase of perimenopause (with so much fluctuation). Not to put a damper on your suggestion, but from what I've read, oral use of wild yam products hasn't really been proven to help, although some women do feel some improvements using it. I think I need the strong stuff at this point! I used progesterone cream for a while and also cream that was compounded and defintely felt it helped me, but with other symptoms showing up, felt like it may have not really helped in the long run because of the other low hormones. Hopefully, you won't have to worry about this for at least another 10 years!

Old 07-14-2005, 04:07 PM   #5
(female)

trekgirl HB User

It is normal for people to have palpatations. But it is best when things to get with a cardio you feel good about and get tests run. Good luck and relax please. Please. Thanks and have a great day.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:11 AM   #6
(male)

fry HB User

Hi all

I just wanted to say that I am getting the same symptoms as Ami but rather than it annoying me, its freaking me out. I put a post on here yesterday about it as I just discovered my heart rhythm keeps speeding up and slowing down as well.

Is anyone else getting this????

Cheers

Pete

Old 07-16-2005, 03:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

The yawning thing makes me think of another "trigger" of arrhythmias: chronic hyperventilation. This means breathing too quickly/deeply all time. Not as noticeable as a normal hyperventilation attack. Type it into google, see if you have other symptoms...

Old 07-16-2005, 03:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

By the way, heart rhythm speeding up and slowing down? Do you mean over a longer period of time or shorter? My heart rhythm speeds up a lot when I breathe in, and slows down when breathing out.

Old 07-16-2005, 07:00 AM   #9
(male)

fry HB User

I sat down on the sofa the other night feeling a bit off and for the first time since my symptoms started I got my wifes doppler device (for the babys heartbeat) and used it on my chest......to my amazement my heart was reading about 125 beats one minute then 75 the next and it kept doing that for a while...

Old 07-22-2005, 04:55 PM   #10

DragonLover24 HB User

Thanks everyone for your suggestions...

I had the palps quit for two days (maybe a very tiny one here and there) and thought I had beat the problem. Then they came back, with the pattern changing a little, more in the afternoon and then they cease again at night.

I am convinced this problem relates to hormones, whether it be female hormones or insulin levels. I have a blood sugar that reads normal at about 80-100 (as I've been told before) so I was told I do not have hypoglycemia.

There is a history of thyroid problems in my family, all three cases being hyperthyroidism. I do have a lot of the symptoms but at the same time don't fit the bill in other ways. How confusing!
I am just so reluctant to see any doctors because I have spent much time and money on them in the past and gotten nowhere. (They all want to get me on Paxil cause it's ALL IN MY HEAD don't you know!)
There is a real young person "prejudice" out there, you wouldn't believe how many docs told me I'm "too young to be sick". I mean they really say that.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if I could take more then 99mg of Potassium supplement a day. I do take a vitamin drink called "Ruby Reds" daily, but I don't think it has a lot of potassium in it.
Does anyone know what is the safest dosage and if you need to stop taking it for a week or so after a while of use or something to that effect?
Thank you!

~Ami~

Old 07-22-2005, 07:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Ami,
Hi, I'm just visiting here from the HBP board. Just wondering if you have had your BP checked lately? A high OR low BP can cause palps ( trust me, I know cause I have suffered with those darn irrating things for years). Also too much potassium will cause them, I have been told high potassium is more dangerous than low.
Do you take any kind of meds for anything, even contraceptives can cause palps.
Hope you feel better,
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 07-22-2005 at 07:48 PM.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:19 AM   #12
(female)

eltwins HB User

I posst on here about my ectopic heart beats but I also get a fast heart rate at times. It was bad last night and I was awake most of it, thinking of calling an ambulance!! It is always alright by the morning. I had been out last night and had chinese food and two glasses of wine, I can only put it down to this. I can't even have a small amount of alcohol now! Caffine and alcohol out the window. Oh and chocolate!!
Now matter how many times it happens to me I always worry like crazy and it induces mild panic attacks, all in the middle of the night!
I am going to start taking magnesium, anything is worth a try. I have had all the heart tests you could want and hormone tests. Everything was fine!
If someone could come up with an answer for this, they sure would be rich! I always get told it is 'in the head' also!

Old 07-28-2005, 06:47 PM   #13

DragonLover24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
Ami,
Hi, I'm just visiting here from the HBP board. Just wondering if you have had your BP checked lately? A high OR low BP can cause palps ( trust me, I know cause I have suffered with those darn irrating things for years). Also too much potassium will cause them, I have been told high potassium is more dangerous than low.
Do you take any kind of meds for anything, even contraceptives can cause palps.
Hope you feel better,
Cass
Thanks, Cass. I have been told once or twice I have mild low blood pressure but that has never caused palps before.....
I don't take the potassium anymore because it wasn't making a difference anyhow.
I take no meds, other then the occassional ibuprofen that I ONLY take for menstrual cramps, so I take about one of those a month.
I'm still stressing out over the darn things. I often feel my digestion is upset during these episodes, too. I think I could have some kind of IBS or maybe just heartburn problems which are causing the palps. (though I have rarely exprienced the burning in the chest or throat, it is usually in the lower abdomen.)

~Ami~

~Ami~

Old 08-12-2005, 02:31 AM   #14
(male)

NotUnderstood HB User

I get palpitations as well, and I also yawn a lot, more than normal, which is probably sometimes simply from a lack of sleep, but even if I've gotten enough sleep, I can't seem to stop yawning somedays. The heart palpitations come and go, sometimes probably from stress and anxiety, as I already know I have a lot of, but I did get checked a while back, and even wore a heart monitor for about a month, and the only conclusion they came to was somewhat high blood pressure, but I haven't been checked since then. I should probably also go and get checked out again, because I have had many more palpitations since then, and they're no small ones, and can last anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes, with a pounding, thumping heartbeat that makes me feel like I'm going to have a heart-attack or pass out. I hope everyone else with this problem gets help and everything goes ok.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:19 AM   #15
(female)

JustErin HB User

are you going through anything stressful (other than the heartpalps)? i used to get hp real bad--my heart rate would go up and start pounding, it felt like i couldn't get enough oxygen, i got real anxious, i had burning in my chest, and on occassion-it made me sick to my stomach and i'd vomit. i do have a heart murmur and my blood pressure was through the roof 140/95. i went on a beta-blocker and realized a lot of my problem was stress-- i took a beta-blocker for about 6 months........and i haven't needed them since (it's been two years). i still get hp every now and then, but it's always when i'm stressed out or i ate something i shouldn't have. i still stay away from the triggers.......since i do have a heart murmur.

Closed Thread