It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

debi31220 HB User
Congestive Heart Failure

My grandfather is 83 years old. He's had a kidney problem for about 10 years but hasn't really done anything about it. Finally, about two months ago, he went to the doctor and they put an implant in his arm to prepare him for dialysis. They also said they would hold off on giving dialysis as long as possible. Papa developed shortness of breath on Monday and went to the emergency room. He's now in the hospital with Pneumonia, Congestive Heart Failure, and kidney failure. They have been unable to insert a cathedar due to his enlarged prostate. He is only able to urinate tiny amounts. He's awake and alert and still has his sense of humor. The doctors are STILL saying they won't give him a dialysis treatment unless he absolutely HAS to have it. His legs are very swollen and his skin looks really pale. Shouldn't the doctors being doing more to get the cathedar in???? Why would they NOT give a dialysis treatment????? My grandmother is usually the only one in the room with him with the Doctors come by and she is so hard of hearing that the rest of the family is getting very LITTLE information. Does anyone know why they would be waiting to do dialysis or even surgery to place a cathedar??? Does it sound like the end of the line for my grandfather. Can he live with all these problems? I wonder what his chances are?? Is the pneumonia caused by the kidney problem?? He's never had heart problems so I'm guessing the congestive heart failure is also due to the kidney problem. The doctors also said it appears he had a mild heart attack in the last couple of weeks. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
(female)

trekgirl HB User
Re: Congestive Heart Failure

On the congestive heart failure. it is the enlargement of the heart due to many problems that can cause it to enlarge. Infection, heart problems, something. I hope that they are working on the water retention, due to the swollen legs, sounds like water retention. Find out from the doctor exactly what he health problems really are and how he is really medicating your father. You need to be made the person over his health care if needed. Good luck in getting better informed over your father's health. He needs you in his corner with the doctors and treatment.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Apparently I had CHF for many years without any symptoms. Then it hit me with pulmonary edema (mild) and breathing problems. I was pale and there was some swelling of the legs and was admitted to ICU after an emergency visit. This was 14 months ago and told I had had an MI some time in the past.

The CHF can be the cause of kidney failure. There is a correlation so one or the other can cause either a problem. The doc is closely watching my liver and kidney function.

With today's medication one can live may years with CHF. Pnuemonia can be successfully treated. Medication can redure the size of the prostate, and there may be a waiting period for the medication to take effect.

If your grandfather is physically and mentally strong, he will be able to survive with help.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:26 PM   #4
(female)

debi31220 HB User

Thank you SO much for the information. Papa seems to be getting better. The doctors were finally able to get the cathedar inserted and drained 1600 cc of fluid in about 3 hours time. the heart doctor says she will decide what needs to be done about his heart failure once the kidney doctor finishes with him. the kidney doctor wants to wait 2 - 3 days to make a decision on dialysis. Papa is alert and he doesn't look quite as swollen and pale. I think he'll be fine.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:46 PM   #5
(female)

pretty_vegas HB User

I couldn't remember my login name/password but I'm debi and i started this thread. My Grandfather died Oct 11 at 12:35am. Kidney disease is a terrible illness that affects the whole body including the brain. The coma that results is almost unbearable to see. My granddad walked into the hospital after driving himself there on July 18 and died in a nursing home last week. I can't begin to tell you what the family has been through in the last couple of months but I hope no one else has to see this kind of suffering.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

My condolences. He was fortunate to have a loving and caring granddaugher and family; I am sure that helped him with ease through his final stage of life in spite of the circumstances.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:32 AM   #7

Excelsoir HB User

Hello Debi,
I am sorry to hear about your grandfather and your grief. I though I would answer a question you posed earlier about why the doctors were hesitant about renal dialysis in someone with heart failure. The "fluid shifts" in the body during dialysis, place a great strain on the heart, and would be sure to substantially increase his heart failure. I thought knowing this might help explain your concerns re this aspect of your grandfather's treatment. Coming to terms with his death is not easy, but you will manage it until you just think of him with affection. All the best.
Regards, Excelsior

Closed Thread