It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
(male)

Scout- HB User
Pain in left arm - when is it heart related?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I've been told that sometimes when there is something wrong with your heart you will get pains in your left arm. Can anyone tell me where such pains are located in the arm and what tell-tale symptoms come along with it?

Help with this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Scout.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scout- For This Useful Post:
octrott (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Pain in left arm - when is it heart related?

The pain you're describing is sometimes a symptom of a heart attack. It's a shooting pain that is sometimes accompanied by numbness, and the pain could radiate from the shoulders or chest. You also have incredible chest pain that's either unbearable in some or like a bad case of indigestion in others, nausea, and shortness of breath.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Scout
As the Gatsby fan said (hey, ZELDA would be a kewl screen name!), an arm pain won't usually be the ONLY pain. It's most often chest pain AND arm pain, or heartburn and arm ache. It's a upper arm, deep ache and numbness (not like hitting the crazy bone though.) Often both shoulders ache too.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:50 PM   #4
(male)

Scout- HB User

Thank you for the replies guys!

So the only time the arm can hurt and it be related to the heart is during a heart attack?

Also, the shooting pain, is it inner are (along the bicep muscle annd innard of the arm connecting to the fold in the elbow joint) or outer arm?

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:22 AM   #5
(male)

muzznz HB User

Hi i live in New Zealand and have a pain in my inner left arm. When I bend my arm towards my head I have a very painful feeling in my inner arm. I am 37 a smoker and take lipex to lower my cholestrol and losec for my hyadis hernia. Also I have pain across my chest sholders. Could this be a heart attack. I am 6ft 2 inchs weigh 12.5 stone not sure in Kgs what that is.

Last edited by muzznz; 02-22-2007 at 01:23 AM.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
(female)

AngieNZ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920 View Post
The pain you're describing is sometimes a symptom of a heart attack. It's a shooting pain that is sometimes accompanied by numbness, and the pain could radiate from the shoulders or chest. You also have incredible chest pain that's either unbearable in some or like a bad case of indigestion in others, nausea, and shortness of breath.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-
That's interesting. For some time, I have been reporting an awful discomfort in my shoulders and chest to my GP, among other things including rapid heartbeat. I do have GERD but this other problem came on quite suddenly while I was sitting. I first felt a significant amount of pressure/tightness across my chest, followed by a shooting pain that went up the right side of my neck, down my right arm and then around to the back of my shoulders. This was almost 2 weeks ago, and since then, my shoulders have not stopped aching but the doctor seems to be dismissing these symptoms and putting it down to GERD. Whether or not that is right, I have yet to know.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
This was almost 2 weeks ago, and since then, my shoulders have not stopped aching but the doctor seems to be dismissing these symptoms and putting it down to GERD. Whether or not that is right, I have yet to know.
Angie,

Two good ways to differentiate GERD from heart pain:
1. GERD is apt to get better with 150 mg. Zantac...heart pain won't.
2. Heart pain is apt to get MUCH worse if you try to run, GERD won't.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
(female)

AngieNZ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Angie,

Two good ways to differentiate GERD from heart pain:
1. GERD is apt to get better with 150 mg. Zantac...heart pain won't.
2. Heart pain is apt to get MUCH worse if you try to run, GERD won't.
Hi Lenin,

Thank you for your feedback there. As it stands, I have been almost bed-ridden since my rapid heartbeat and the shooting pain that I described, happened. Finding that the most normal of movements around home, really exhaust me and the minute I sit down after them - hot flushes begin, heart starts racing and my breathing becomes extremely difficult.

I have had a chest x-ray but the results of that came back normal, they did not see anything abnormal. Which is why I imagine, my GP has put it down to the GERD. However, as you just stated, I do know the difference. The medication that I am on for GERD, is most certainly helping (my stomach) but that still leaves this matter of my heart, in question.

Thanks again for your response, I really appreciate any feedback.

Kind regards, Angie

Old 02-24-2007, 06:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Angie,

You should have a nuclear stress test to rule out angina.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
(female)

stormo HB User

Just a quick thought for all of you. Im 17 years old, and just recently have been getting panic attacks. All of the sympotoms that you have stated here are very similar. Panic attacks usually give the feeling of a heart attack, along with the sympotoms that come along with it to a tee. The arm feeling is very common, and you usually get tension in your neck, your heart races and your legs and arms can go numb. Its normal for people who get panic (or anxiety attacks..) to feel this, and it wont harm your body. It is very scary most the time, but the feelings all stop about 15 minutes later. So before you all freak yourself out that you are having a heart attack and the doctors tell you that there isnt anything wrong with you, chances are that you also experience panic attacks. I suggest if you are unsure of your feelings, or if your doctors tell you that your body is fine, to bring up panic attacks, most doctors know alot about that stuff.
gluck

The Following User Says Thank You to stormo For This Useful Post:
Joseky (12-08-2011)
Closed Thread