It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
(male)

Paul38 HB User
Catheter Ablation - Has anyone had one ?

Please could someone comment on this procedure as my mother has been advised to have one soon. Thank you, Ivan.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User
Re: Catheter Ablation - Has anyone had one ?

well i know someone who had one, she had fast heart beats and it seemed to have fixed it, (she had it 5 years ago)

Also im 23 and im having one for my PVC's, im a little worried but i hear its fast and easy.
They (map) the heart to find a AV nod that maybe causing abnormalities with your heart and make a new one, like i said, fast (2-3 hours) and usually good, the doc im going to has had a 95% success rate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
(male)

Brian. HB User

Hi Ivan,
Proceduralally Catheter Albation is similiar to angiogram, a catheter is inserted into your ateries through a local puncture in your groin or arms and extended to the heart by usage of guides. While in angioplasty the doc is doing a plumbing job with his catheter, in albation he will be performing an electrician's job.

My hospital's patient guide has a combined set of instructions for angio and albation. According to the book, this is how they do albation.

1. They will do a routine check (ECG, bloodtest etc.)
2. List out all medication patient is on and handover the list to nurse
3. Eating and drinking - even chewing gum is prohibited 12 hours prior to cath lab admission
4. An IV that has among other medicines sedatives will be started.
5. Some cleaning and epilation of the incision area will be done.
6. in Cath/EP lab, the doic will administer an injection to numb the area where he inserts the caths.

7. sometimes more than one cath may be inserted depending on the situation.

8. He does the eletcrical work required

9. The nurses apply pressure for some time in the area where the incision is made.

10. Patient will be kept under observationb for some hours, followed by discharge.

The whole procedure is as safe as an angiogram and the risks are not as big as a bypass graft or an angiogram. The process is lengthy and it may take 4-6 hours

They may make heart race and slow several times which can be scary, but no big pain will be felt at any time of the procedure. After discharge watchout for any infection in the area cut for cath instertion..

Best of luck and happy healing and god bless your mother.

Last edited by Brian.; 07-17-2005 at 11:34 PM.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:27 AM   #4
(male)

Paul38 HB User

Thanks a lot for the info - any other comments from anyone else? Thanks.

Closed Thread