It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 11:46 PM   #1
(male)

nsbmw HB User
help with Prednisone taper after pericarditis

My father (74 years) went through a pericardial window last year and had been on prednisone since. The first course was tapered quickly within 6 weeks and resulted in a full blown relapse. next the prednisone was taken to higher doses (80 mg for 1 week) and then 40,g, 20, 10, 5, 3.5, and 2mg over a period of 7 months. Now my father after being on 2 mg for 10 days relapsed again. Now the prednisone is bumped to 10 mg and for a week and then supposed to be tapered to 7.5 mg and then 5 and 4 and 3 and 2 and 1.
This has been the most frustrating and depressing periods of my life seeing my father struggling with this predisone - a drug that i now hate although it seems to be the only one that restores him back after the relapse.

I am in a dilemma and no doctor seems to really know how to manage this prednisone taper and the cardiologist especially. I'd so much grateful if any body in this forum or a doctor who cna recommend me to a top doctior/endocrinologist who has done exactly this prednisone taper successfully without all the nasty effects that my father is going throuhg now for over 7 months.

please help.

thanks much.

bala

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread