It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 06:10 AM   #1

Fairy314 HB User
Question Palpitations, what's the real definition?

I struggle with an anxiety disorder, and a few years ago I started to feel like my heart was skipping a beat. I went to the doc and he told me it was palpitations. But, what's the real definition? Some say palpitations are a racing heartbeat, others say it is your heart skipping a beat. Anyway, when my heart feels like its skipping a beat, I get short of breath and sometimes I get a throbbing in my head for the moment. Anyone else of irregular heartbeat? I have had several EKGs, 2 holter monitors and a 2decho, and everything is normal. However, I can't stand the palpitations and the way I feel when I get them. Any adivse or help? Could it be just the anxiety? What can I do to relieve the palpitations?

Old 07-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
(female)

MrsPM HB User
Re: Palpitations, what's the real definition?

To answer some of your questions, palpitations are any awareness of your heartbeat. It can be a feeling of racing, skipped beats, or your heart beating harder than usually. And yes, palpitations may be due to anxiety.
One thing that helps me (at least temporarily) is placing my massage pillow on my chest when I get the palpitations. The pillow vibrates so I'm not sure if it's the vibrations that make the palpitations go away or if it's psychological. But anyway it works for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
Re: Palpitations, what's the real definition?

Fairy, don't worry about your skips, many people have them and they are usually harmless
If you had a halter monitor, Ekg and Echo and your doctor told you your heart is okay, don't worry. I know they feel uncomfortable but learn to ignore them.

Closed Thread