It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User
mitral valve prolapse

if you have mvp can u get chest pains caused from it. looking to see what symptoms people have with mvp.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
Inactive

jpos HB User
Re: mitral valve prolapse

My cardio said some of my chest pain was due to the MVP. Frankly, I don't believe mine is, I think it's from costochondritis (which he knows I have). I was really shocked that he would say such a thing, it is just so out of character for him to offer such info w/o being asked directly or otherwise, something that might alarm or worry someone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User

how were u dignosed with costochondritis

Old 07-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
Inactive

jpos HB User

I was sent to a rheumatologist. It's been yrs. and I don't remember exactly what he did to diagnose me. I do know he did blood work, but it may have been diag. by a physical and history. My ribs only seemed to hurt me at that point, but when he put just a bit of pressure on the middle of my chest I felt like the cartoon of cats that end up clinging by their claws to the ceiling. I was really surprised by that. I eventually had to get shots in my ribs and chest to get it under control and have to be sure not to overwork my rib area in anyway (exercising, pushing or lifting anything heavy).

Old 07-19-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
(female)

dwallech HB User

I went to the doctor's office due to chest pain. They did a short EKG in the office, and then sent me to get an echocardiogram. This is when I found out I have MVP. I do get pains in my chest when I get very tired. The doctor told me to lie down in bed and rest. I do and the pain goes away, but I go to sleep almost immediately as if I hadn't slept for days

Old 07-20-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

I have very mild MVP. No symptoms. Unless the ventricular extrasystoles I have are caused by MVP, which I don't think.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1975
if you have mvp can u get chest pains caused from it. looking to see what symptoms people have with mvp.
Mvp itself is painless. It is the problem it creates that is the issue, and often there are no symptoms.

If the heart does not get enough blood (ischemia) almost always there will be angina. People with angina describe their pain and location with much variation (discomfort, tightness, etc......chest, arm neck, etc.) so saying chest pain is not much information to dx. Angina may occur during exertion and go away with rest and that would be a clue for ischemia.

If mvp is the problem, then pain could be due to a low cardio output and insufficient blood flow to the heart because some of the blood to be pumped out of the left ventricle detrimently flows back into the left atrium and the other portion of blood pumped into the aorta does not meet the demand.

The Following User Says Thank You to started04 For This Useful Post:
sjb (12-17-2010)
Old 07-27-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
(female)

Allison4 HB User

I am a 55 yr. old female that was just diagnosed with MVP. My only symptom was shortness of breath.
I had a echocardiogram last week that showed this. I also just had a nuclear stress test (injection of "dye") I have not gotten the results yet.

I would like some opinions, since I do not have an appointment with my cardio for two weeks, is it still possible to walk at 3.9 miles an hour for 2 or 3 miles and jog at 4.2 for one mile. I do get shortness of breath during these workouts, but I can always catch my breath it if I hold onto the treadmill and have no problem continuing without holding on. Maybe I should slow down?

Thanks!

Last edited by Allison4; 07-27-2005 at 08:24 PM.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

QUOTE:I would like some opinions, since I do not have an appointment with my cardio for two weeks, is it still possible to walk at 3.9 miles an hour for 2 or 3 miles and jog at 4.2 for one mile. I do get shortness of breath during these workouts, but I can always catch my breath it if I hold onto the treadmill and have no problem continuing without holding on. Maybe I should slow down?

Your aerobic conditioning should be measured and individualized to meet the upper limits of your heart range. I haven't heard aerobics causing a problem, but I have read heavy weight lifting can be harmful to a valve problem.

It is not unusual to have a valve malfunction and be asymptomatic. Sometimes one may easily fatique their muscles before experiencing SOB.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

Could someone explain WHY heavy weighlifting could be harmful for a valve problem? And what is considered to be HEAVY weightlifting? I do weights, and have a slight mitral valve prolapse. Wouldn't want to make it worse...

Old 07-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsofglass
Could someone explain WHY heavy weighlifting could be harmful for a valve problem? And what is considered to be HEAVY weightlifting? I do weights, and have a slight mitral valve prolapse. Wouldn't want to make it worse...
My hospital release instructions state don't lift anything over 40 lbs. I have been lifting heavy weights for decades; now after a MV regurg dx I lift lighter weights with more reps.

I don't know why no heavy lifting. It could be the sudden need to sustain the additional oxygen-rich blood stresses the heart valve system...a more definitive answer would be appreciated!

Old 07-29-2005, 11:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

Could someone please explain the weightlifting issue?

Upperbody I'm below the 40 pound mark. But I'm not planning to stay that weak! And as for legs... I do 180 pounds on the leg press machine, and that isn't even that hard for me...
My doc said nothing about heavy weightlifting being off limits. But then again, he probably doesn't think girls do that kind of thing, he probably thinks I use really light weights

Old 07-29-2005, 05:06 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

what is costochortis?

RR

Old 07-30-2005, 09:39 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsofglass
Could someone please explain the weightlifting issue?

Upperbody I'm below the 40 pound mark. But I'm not planning to stay that weak! And as for legs... I do 180 pounds on the leg press machine, and that isn't even that hard for me...
My doc said nothing about heavy weightlifting being off limits. But then again, he probably doesn't think girls do that kind of thing, he probably thinks I use really light weights
Unless one is carrying around 180 lbs. of weight, it is not beneficial (generally) to leg resistance training above one's own weight. Lighter weights and more repetitions provides endurance and muscle tone. With endurance one is able to take two steps at a time for a couple or more flights of stairs with ease, and that seems to me to be more beneficial to everyday living than the ability to lift and carry heavy objects up a flight of stairs. Obviously, the weight threshold is subjective depending on the individual's need.

I have an appointment Tuesday with cardio, and I will ask if heavy lifting is harmful and why.

Last edited by started04; 07-30-2005 at 09:49 AM.

Old 07-30-2005, 10:38 AM   #15
Inactive

jpos HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer40
what is costochortis?

RR
Do you mean costochondritis? If so:

costochondritis
<pathology> A condition that is caused by inflammation of the costochondral joints. This is perceived as chest pain with tenderness to one or both sides of the sternum (breast bone). Chest pains are often worse when taking a deep breath or moving the chest wall.

Treatment includes warm, wet compresses to the anterior chest wall and oral anti-inflammatory agents.

The definition above says perceived as chest pain, but mine started as rib pain and was that way for a long time. In fact when the rheum. pressed lightly on my chest and sent me through the roof I was shocked. It eventually took getting steroid shots in my chest and ribs to bring it under control.

If there is something you are doing to stress your ribs (lifting or pushing something you may not even perceive as heavy), stop and see if it gets better. Rest helps mine now and when I could take Advil I used that if resting wasn't enough (after getting it to a manageable state).

Closed Thread