It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 12:24 AM   #1
(male)

Bharat2005 HB User
Thumbs up I need to hear your success stories!!

Friends,
What immediately followed my marriage and honeymoon was an angioplasty. I feel depressed and sad. I never knew I had coronary artery disease, I feel like I have wasted the life of my brand new wife. Did that in disease and health meant in disease all the time for me?

Am I dangerously sick? How many of my friends here had CAD at a young age and grew old with it? Seeking success stories of people who conquered CAD successfully and perusing a healthy long life..

Old 07-20-2005, 04:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User
Re: I need to hear your success stories!!

how old are you and what symptoms did u have that they diagnosed you with a blockage?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
(female)

heartcreature HB User

I wasn't terribly young but was in my early 40's. I'm doing very well now after a failed stent and heart bypass surgery 3 years ago. The only time I'm reminded now that I have heart disease is when I take sinus medication( I will cause me to have angina almost instantly). I've only done it a couple of times and don't intend to take it again. Also when I take my medicines at night it reminds me that I'm not like I was, but, I feel great. It's given me a new outlook on life and I think I just appreciate life more. Don't allow the disease to take the life out of you. Just try to look at it as being given a second chance.
The vows may say in sickness and in health and when you say those words you hope it will always be in health. My husband and I were married 25 years just about 2 weeks after my heart bypass. He doesn't see me as a sick person all the time. I know it enters his mind from time to time, but when he sees me exercising or eating healthy he can see that I'm doing all I can to stay as healthy as possible it gives him some security that we will have many more years together. Show your new wife that you are doing all you can to prevent any further problems(you don't have to be a saint all the time) and I think she will have that secure feeling that you will have many years together. Good luck and stay strong!

Old 07-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
(male)

Bharat2005 HB User

RC1975,
Lately I had this shoulder pain, which I initially thought was because of lifting heavy luggage.. but when it persisted along with slight dizziness occassionally, I went to doctor. Cholsterol was abnormal, so I did a treadmill test, which showed probable provocable ischemia. went for a angiogram that showed an almost complete block in LAD that got stented with "good results" (I dont know what does that remark mean)..

heartcreature,
thats a wonderful story .. i feel much better after reading yours. I guess the key is you dont see yourself as sick and neither does your husband.. I also try to believe im normal.. but when some airhostess tells you " we are sorry, but we dont stock that kind of food onboard sir, it is your duty to inform us in advance that you are not a NORMAL passenger and needs special diet and care", my confidence and faith shatters like crystal...

Last edited by Bharat2005; 07-21-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I wqas in my early Fifties when I started developing "heartburtn" after restuarant mels especially when walking faster afterwards. Then it started bothering me whenever I hurried to catch a train or a bus. Morning walking into a cold wind always caused the pain to recur.
I took Zantac for a long while to not much avail. In my heart of hearts I KNEW it was my HEART OF HEARTS and not "heartburn." After 5 years of this I got a referral to a BAD cardiologist and he did a stress-echo test that I passed with flying colors except for the burn in the middle of my chest whicvh I was able to "run through." He dismissed it as not cardiac...probably hypertension??????
I went 5 MORE years like this and then started getting the pain whenever I sprinted on my bike. When the heartburn radiated accross both shoulders during sex I knew it was time for ME to take matters into my own hands so I demanded a referral to the best cardiologist in Manhattan and told him I needed angiography. He said with my classic symptoms he'd have done it 10 years ago.

January '04 I had angiogram that found a complete blockage (98+%) of the RCA and it was stented on the spot. I was shopping the next day being able to drag groceries in 20 degree weather with no problem. I have
had two bouts with MAYBE slight angina in the past 18 months but just yesterday took my heart rate to 153 with a hard 40 minute workout on a stationary bike, sweating bullets in high humidity while burning 388 calories. No chest discomfort at all and that was a stress test to beat all stress tests! I do it 3 times a week...and I'm into my 6th decade!

I keep my LDL cholesterol extremely low with Lipitor, Fish oil, Lecithin, Folic acid, and cook with Canola and use Smart-Beat for butter. My trans-fat intake is near zero and my weight is controlled to a point where I no longer need my BP medication.

I have several bottles of nitroglycerine tablets onhand but have yet to open one.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-21-2005 at 02:56 PM.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
(female)

heartcreature HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharat2005
RC1975,
I also try to believe im normal.. but when some airhostess tells you " we are sorry, but we dont stock that kind of food onboard sir, it is your duty to inform us in advance that you are not a NORMAL passenger and needs special diet and care", my confidence and faith shatters like crystal...
As people with heart disease we have to teach businesses how to treat us. I would personally write that airline and tell them that they need to have heart healthy meals available without going to the trouble of informing them ahead of time. Really how hard would it be for an airline to offer fresh fruit or baked fish with green beans instead of a lunchmeat sandwich with potato chips? Even the fast food industry is finally offering healthy choices like fresh fruits and salads. Like they say the squeaky wheel gets oiled! Make your voice heard.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:00 PM   #7
(male)

Bharat2005 HB User

Lenin,
My cardiologist tells me the best heart test is how you are feeling. You are feeling great now means you have successfully controlled your CAD.. great!.

You lived over a decade without knowing you are having angina and had no complications- you are extremely lucky...

Heartcreature,
I just wrote to that airline (who claims in the ad they are the finest on air )to have something for health conscious people, if made available, there will always be heavy demand for heart healthy food in any flight, one in 5 adults watch their diet..

Closed Thread