It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
(male)

imdok HB User
Prolonged Weird Symptoms After SVT Episode

I've had PSVT for the past few years. Usually I just convert with Valsalva (deep breath or exertion).
I'm a small time diabetic (I take glucophage) and have lower level HBP numbers (I take Altace).
I've noticed my SVT episodes come most often when I'm either dehydrated, stressed, or fatigued, or any combination there of. The catalyst for setting it off is usually carbonation, stomach gas, or even a full stomach putting pressure on my diaphram. I'm a very big guy so there is pressure around my internal organs as it is. It seems like my heart is sensitive to any external pressures and will throw me into SVT when aggravated. Anyone ever have this problem?

Also, I normally get over the after effects of my SVT attacks quite quickly. Usually within a few minutes, hours, or by the end of the day at worst, except for a few prolonged "rock and rollers" at 210+ bpm for extended periods up to two hours, hospital ER room type episodes, etc. I always converted in the ER without meds.

My first really noticable attack that I had a few years ago took me a week or longer to get over and coinsided with a long period of eating a high carbo/suger diet (this is how they found out I was diabetic via a glucose hemoglobin test that was at 9.2)

To make a long story longer, Three weeks ago I had a strong SVT episode that lasted only about ten minutes ( I had a couple of mid level ones the day before). I really bore down hard to convert it and thought maybe I had overdone it at the time. Feeling weak, I went and sat out on the front steps. After about a minute or two, I felt like I was shuttting down. I told a friend sitting next to me I thought I was having a heart attack, but there was absolutely no pain at all, just the oddest feeling that lasted about ten seconds or so. I came back up to "normal" feeling the usual post-event figgity feelings, fatigued, and a bit out of timing like my heart's "timing chain" was a cog off. My heart beat was strong if a bit wobbley, and at a lower bpm (55 bpm) than normal (72 bpm). I remember thinking "something is wrong this time".

It's been three weeks and I still don't feel well (fatigued, forgetful, figgity, occassional strong but regular heartbeat, etc.) I've had all the normal cardio tests including nuclear treadmill, a head MRI for TIA, echocardiogram, coratid doppler, etc. Nothing shows amiss.
I had a strong SVT episode at the end of my nuclear treadmill test (220 bpm) but converted immediately (lasted 30 seconds tops). After about seven minutes on the treadmill, I could feel my heart getting the "wobble" and a funny pressure building in my chest and asked them to stop the test, giving them just long enough to inject more dye for the post test pictures. The SVT hit me right after a minute of hugely labored breathing recovery from test.

All the tests say everything is OK (a "borderline normal" EKG the day after initial episode only) yet I still feel funny. Sort of figgity and weird feeling in the chest sometimes like I get just prior to going into an episode. Funny thing is after the treadmill SVT episode, my heart's bpm are back at 70 bpm. It had been at 55 bpm for the two weeks prior to the treadmill test since converting the original episode three weeks ago. Go figure.

Has anyone ever had these post-episode symptoms last for such a prolonged period of time? (over three weeks)
Also, my diet was very bad for the four months leading up to this last major episode. I'm wondering if the blood suger (!00-140 normally)and blood pressure (150/100 folowing initial SVT, now at 138/78) is aggravating it, or if I've reached some new SVT benchmark where I'm now permanently "sensitive" and will need labation or meds to control it.
Thank-you for your time.
Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread