It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User
Why would Bypass surgery have to done more than once?

I've just recently had bypass surgery and am hearing that sometimes it has to be done again. Why would that be? Is it because the patient didn't eat the right foods, exercise, or continued to smoke?
Or is it that they just wear out after awhile?
How long does it take for the surgery to heal and to feel up to par again? I seem to get pretty tired and still try to walk every day as told. But I don't want to push myself too hard either.
The surgeon said at least 15 minutes of exercise a day. I walk but not all that fast as i get tired out easily. The lungs just don't work very well right now. Even though I no longer smoke as I was still doing before the operation to a small degree/ But nothing like the pack and a quarter a few months ago.
The doctor says ONE cigarette every YEAR is horrible.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
(female)

heartcreature HB User
Re: Why would Bypass surgery have to done more than once?

Sometimes scar tissue will form where the bypass grafts were attached and cause blockage. Also, heart disease is a progressive disease and so it's possible to have blockage show up again in other arteries or the same arteries. You need to Stay off cigarettes for good and start some healthy habits like regular exercise and eating healthy. Some risk factors we can't get away from, but there are some we can control. It's going to take awhile before you feel real good again. Those chest muscles will be tight when they heal and it can be difficult to even turn your head(it may be painful in the shoulders as well). When the nerves start to heal you may be uncomfortable when clothing touches the areas near the incision. Be sure to do those breathing exercises. Also, it's important to realize that you may experience depression. If you feel depressed be sure to mention to your doctor. You should feel like doing more and more each day, but it's several months of healing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 01:17 AM   #3
(male)

Brian. HB User

Cher
Dont give in to that "just one cigarette" lure. Im 100% sure this will soon be followed by "Just one more", "just once in a while", "just few a day", "just some more days" and finally " I just can't."

Cigarette can make healing after surgery slower, especially after bypass grafts..

Old 07-22-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Oh absolutely...
After 7 years off the dreaded weed I had "JUST ONE" and got hooked for 2 more years at a pack a day or more!

Never again would I dare "just one."

Old 07-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
(male)

Bharat2005 HB User

Lenin,
The incident you say is before your Angioplasty or after??? My worst fear after the angio is that I may start smoking again...

Old 07-22-2005, 03:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Thank you all so much for all your replies. It means a lot to me. This is all so new.
I promise I won't smoke anymore. After a pack and a quarter for 45 years it was a tough habit to break, but I think I'm doing really well. It's not the smoke going down that I crave, but the habit. I know I am just one puff away from a pack a day. I am not a light smoker, I don't just want one, I want them all. So I do know better. The doctor said that if I smoke the surgery will just all fall apart.
I do feel depression so that may be one reason I still crave, But so far so good. No more sickarettes.
Did any of you have back pain? I wonder if it is associated with weakened lung capacity? I'm trying to walk each day and use the breathing instrument they gave me at the hospital.
Had to give up pain meds. cause they caused constipation and blurry vision and I already have enough problems with my vision due to diabetes. Geesh I'm a mess!
I am really trying here. Did any of you find that exercise helped you to feel better? Doc says at LEAST 15 minutes a day. How many months until you all felt pretty good?
By the way, did any of you start to smoke again after bypass? I would think it would ruin the job and clog everything right up again.

Last edited by Cher2005; 07-22-2005 at 03:27 PM.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 AM   #7

pennyann HB User

My husband had his first bypass in January 1989...quadruple.

He has just had a second bypass to replace two arteries which had furred up again...he is 68 and is fine now..we have just had a two week holiday and he coped very well.

he was a smoker prior to 1989...but never after that.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Pennyann, how long do the bypass surgeries work for. Is it about 15 years?
Amazing how extreme heart problems can make you quit smoking. All else has failed with me and I never thought I would be able to completely walk away from cigarettes. The surgery proved me wrong. I miss the habit, but NOT the smoke going down into my lungs and around my heart.
Larry King said the same thing. He thought he could never quit smoking until he had a heart attack and never wanted one again.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
(female)

trekgirl HB User

Cher,
There are times when a person has a second or more surgeries. A lot of things happen. Something goes wrong from the first one like bleed ing problems and have to go back. Or time passes and a clot or infection causes problems. Or if the first involved valves, replacement happens later. I had repair at age 8, replacement with st. jude's valve at age 36, 28 years apart. It does take time to heal, the chest (or sternum) has the longest time to heal, up to a year. But it takes time for the body to heal, the trauma of surgery. You need to put the cig down for good. One is too many to smoke. I quit six month before replacement, and have been smoke free since. I have no regrets and feel better for giving it up. Now, for the lungs, they have to have time to heal also. Before your surgery, you have shortness of breathe, the lungs had to work harder to keep you breathing. Now, you are getting better, they will heal in time also. Just do not rush the healing process and please walk everyday, it will help in the healing as time goes by, and you walk further. Take your time and it will be better soon. Hang in there. and do as the cardio says.

trekgirl

Old 07-26-2005, 09:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

If secondhand smoke is injurious, it reasonable to believe one cigarette is harmful. And to have just one cigarette is keeping alive your addiction. I tried cutting back and then stop for many years, and the only method that worked for me was to quit cleanly and completely. It takes about 10 days although there will be times thereafter that challenges your will power.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:56 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

I have been quit from smoking over a month now. It was hard in the beginning, but only for the habit. The actual thought of bringing smoke down into the chest after that surgery is very unappealing. Ao I am doing very well and I do know that even one puff will make me want more so you are right. The only way to quit completely is to do just that.
Before the surgery I was fooling myself into thinking that cutting back to only a couple a day was OK. As my cardio says, one a year is too many. Besides a couple a day only leads to more. I was a very heavy smoker!

Closed Thread