It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
(female)

Elaine1946 HB User
Question Breathless feeling...

Can anyone tell me what to do next please? G.P. sent me for ECG and chest Xray due to my breathless feeling..I already had high blood pressure - chest normal but ECG showed `Ischemic heart` - as parents had coronary heart disease/angina etc. I was not too shocked. Dr. put me onto beta blockers (bisoprolol fumarate) and aspirin (to prevent anything) and then increased the beta blockers after one week...I was so tired that I was off work and slept quite a lot. I waited 3 weeks to see Cardiologist. Had another ECG done and a stress test on treadmill. I really pushed myself and did what I thought was really good...3rd. stage - 8 minutes. Unfortunately my legs suddenly stopped walking and I fell off the treadmill or maybe I should say slipped down off it. Cardiologist said he had no concerns about my heart. My G.P. cannot understand this as he saw the first ECG. Cardioloogist told me to stop the beta blockers which I did....am feeling so breathless today, just dont know what to do now... Any ideas what this could all be about - I am pretty worried -

Old 07-23-2005, 10:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Breathless feeling...

Elaine,

Did they give you a shot of radioactive "dye" before, during or after the test to show any areas of the heart that were ischemic (starved for nutrients.)
If they did not, an ECG alone is not conclusive of "no ischemia."
Plain vanilla stress and echo can be passed by many people who would fail the radioactive markker test or an angiogram.

Does the breathlessness come on with hard exercise and go away after 5 minutes rest? That kind of response is a sign of angina. Any pain or discomfort mid-chest with exercise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
(female)

Elaine1946 HB User
Smile Re: Breathless feeling...

Thanks for the reply. I live in UK so it was my GP who sent me for ECG at hospital and that one came back and he said it showed coronary heart disease (ischemic?) as I already have high BP and on pills he also put me on betablockers till I got the appointment with the cardiologist. On Thursday I went for that appointment and had an ordinary ECG then went on a treadmill...no dye...just hooked up for heart anevery 3 minutes they took blood pressure. As I pushed myself...(the girl has stamina...hahahaha) and altho breathless managed 8 minutes. The cardiologist said `no cause for concern` - so I saw my own GP the next day and he is perplexed about it all. Why would he see on the first ECG something that made him think I had ischemic heart? So I am off the beta blockers but today am quite a bit breathless at rest.on beta blockers it lowered my BP, made me sleepy a lot of the time...but was not too breathless at all. ..I really dont think that this anxiety...

Old 07-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
(male)

Brian. HB User

I fail to understand how the GP can be sure about ischemia going by ECG alone.. Also a cardiologist giving a plain stress test and completely dismissing possible ischemia suspected by a GP makes no sense.

Elaine, I would rather have asked for a thallium stress test, for peace of mind..

Old 07-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
(female)

Elaine1946 HB User

Is thalium the one where they inject dye and you go on the treadmill? I dont understand any of this. I am unclear how the beta blockers helped take down the blood pressure but because the cardiologist says I am fine (?) that I am taken off them and now breathless again and the next day at GP the blood pressure was up again....oy....Thank you for your concern and help - I just dont understand what is going on with all this....take care - Elaine

Old 07-24-2005, 02:47 PM   #6

pennyann HB User

Elaine,

I am afraid that the NHS are not always very good at dealing with us when we have breathlessness. I do sympathise with you. It seems your cardiologist treated you poorly. Did you ask him why you were feeling breathless?

In my experience, Beta blockers do not suit everyone. I had to stop them as they made me worse. They are also unsuitable if your breathlessness is related to asthma type nreathlessness.

If I was in your position, I would insist the GP did more investigation. Your BP can be kept under control using drugs other than BB. He needs to find out what is causing you to have the symptoms.

I have had a lot of experience with breathlessness...but I do have established heart disease.

Do not take no for an answer..keep plugging away to get a proper diagnosos.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:08 AM   #7
(female)

Elaine1946 HB User
Unhappy Re: Breathless feeling...

PennyAnn - thank you for your reply. I have been on Valsartan for high blood pressure for long time and was put on the betablockers because of the breathlessness and heart racing - this was when GP saw first ECG and said heart problem...so the beta blockers made me tired but lower heart rate. I did well on the treadmill - I think 8 minutes is good???? Since stopping the beta blockers last Friday I am not as tired but breathless at odd times again. I dont think it is asthma related because I dont cough atall. I hope that you are keeping well at the moment. Thanks for reply.

Closed Thread