It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
(female)

solace66 HB User
Question Why isn't Lopressor lowering my heart rate?

I am 33 weeks pregnant and have been taking Lopressor for about 3 months. I am now up to 200mg/day. I have sinus tachycardia and cardiomyopathy. I recently added digoxin to get me through delivery but my heart rate is still up around 130bpm most of the day. I am basically on bed rest. I don't do much walking or anything. I try to spend as much time on the couch as possible. Why aren't these medications working?! I am frustrated that I do not see a difference. It seems that much lower doses are making a difference for other people. Anyone experienced anything like this?

Danielle

Old 07-29-2005, 02:35 AM   #2
(female)

Eeyore1973 HB User
Re: Why isn't Lopressor lowering my heart rate?

Hi Danielle,
I just wanted to ask did you know you had cardiomyopathy before you got pregnant? Your heart rate becomes faster when your pregnant I think because an increase of blood volume which doubles the workload on the heart . And I would guess since your heart is already weak to begin with that doesn't help matters. I know I still have a little tachy atleast a couple times a week and I am on 2 meds. If you knew you had this before you got pregnant did you get cardic clearence? I ask because I also have cardiomyopathy but all my doctors said no way to me getting pregnant. It has been a devasting 3 years for me. Can I ask what your EF % is? Age? Is this your first baby? Sorry so many questions but I have been looking for someone else who has cardiomyopathy who has gone though a pregnancy for 2 years on here with no luck.
Take care and God bless.
Christina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 04:41 AM   #3
(female)

solace66 HB User

I did not know that I had cardiomyopathy. This is my third baby and it was a total surprise! My daughter is only about to turn one at the begining of August and I am due in September. I did have problems with tachycardia with her pregnancy also but it was not as bad and they didn't find the cardiomyopathy.
I have been on bedrest since I went into heart failure in May and that is when they found the cardiomyopathy and started me on Lopressor. However, I am taking 200mg/day and do not see much of a difference in my heart rate. I am 25 and my LVEF is 35. I do not mind the questions at all. How much Beta blocker are you taking? What is your average heart rate? Do you think I should be seeing a difference? This is where my heart rate was before the drugs.

Danielle

Old 07-29-2005, 05:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solace66
I am 33 weeks pregnant and have been taking Lopressor for about 3 months. I am now up to 200mg/day. I have sinus tachycardia and cardiomyopathy. I recently added digoxin to get me through delivery but my heart rate is still up around 130bpm most of the day. I am basically on bed rest. I don't do much walking or anything. I try to spend as much time on the couch as possible. Why aren't these medications working?! I am frustrated that I do not see a difference. It seems that much lower doses are making a difference for other people. Anyone experienced anything like this?

Danielle
I also have heart failure. I've had heart failure for about 20 years. I just assumed that my heart would never beat properly and I would have uncomfortable symptoms for the rest of my life. But..... over the years I have learned a lot about my heart failure.

I am also carb sensitive and have allergies. Although I am on several heart meds to help control my heart beat, if I consume too many calories my heart will race, and jump, all night, and I will have breathing difficulties.

If I come into contact with, or consume, something for which I am allergic, it will also cause my heart to race, and jump, along with breathing difficulties, for long periods of time.

Hence, if I limit my calories, and avoid allergens, I will experience fewer episodes of breathing difficulties and with my heart racing and jumping.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

solace,
As a guess, I would think that the need for a high heart rate to compensate for the poor ejection fraction would overwhelm the effect of the beta-blocker.

Perhaps your body is doing what's best for you and ignoring the beta-blockade?

Old thinking was that beta blockers were NOT good for heart failure...I think it's mixed now.

Maybe a channel blocker would treat you better?

All things considered, it seems that the Lopressor (metaprolol??) is not the drug for you.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-29-2005 at 09:16 AM.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
(female)

arrest04 HB User

I have cardiomyopathy and multifocal PVC's. I am 23 and at the age of 22 I had a cardiac arrest. my ef is 50 I have the clearance to go ahead and have a baby. I am on Topril and magnesium. I understand about eating too much and too much sugar and caffeine. That makes my PVC worse. I am having an ablation next week to see if they can get rid of the PVC. Keep me updated on your pregnancy and did they not worry about you being on dig and lopressor during pregnancy?

Last edited by arrest04; 08-04-2005 at 03:41 PM.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Hello,
So sorry that you guys are so young and experiencing these problems with your heart. I hope that you find a medicine that works for you. Danielle, I pray that the rest of your pregnancy goes well for you.

I have a questions - What is a normal ejection fraction? Thanks.

Bern

Old 08-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
(female)

arrest04 HB User

some say 60-80 ro 55-80

Old 04-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
(female)

nisha1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solace66 View Post

Danielle
Solace66 - My sister is 3month pregnant and her heart rate around 140. Her doc put her on lopressor and digoxin and I am worried about her health and baby. Can you please tell me how safe to take this drug during pregancy. Thanks

Closed Thread