It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

Caritosnoek HB User
Unhappy Tachycardia

Hello
i am a bit sad since my boyfriend was diagnosed with tachycardia few months ago, i just wonder...is it possible to live a normal life and a long one after the treatment? he is under medication now but i wonder for how long, he is living abroad now and i don't have to much contact with him recently, i just hope things get better.
thanks .

Old 07-30-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Inactive

jpos HB User
Re: Tachycardia

It depends what type of tachycardia, but most aren't anything to worry about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 07:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Do you have any more information about his diagnosis? What kind of tachycardia does he have? And what treatments do they have him on? How old is he?

Most tachycardias are basically harmless, especially in a healthy young person, and yes he certainly can live a long life. And many tachycardias can be cured with a simple, minimally invasive surgical procedure, or controlled with medications.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
(female)

Caritosnoek HB User
Smile Re: Tachycardia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber
Do you have any more information about his diagnosis? What kind of tachycardia does he have? And what treatments do they have him on? How old is he?

Most tachycardias are basically harmless, especially in a healthy young person, and yes he certainly can live a long life. And many tachycardias can be cured with a simple, minimally invasive surgical procedure, or controlled with medications.

My boyfriend is young...34 years old...and since he was little he did a lot of sports, his tachycardia is in the borderline, not terribly serious but still...he has 120-30 bits when he is resting on the sofa, his medication i don't know the name yet but i will find out.
Thanks for the good news

regards.
Caro.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Hi Caro,

Heart rate over 100 is considered tachycardia. Someone young and healthy and well conditioned from sport's activity should have a HR in the sixties or less (at rest).

Unless the condition is ideopathic there should be an underlying problem as the system is demanding more blood/oxygen at a time when the heart should rest. If the heart continues with a fast beat (not unlike any other muscle), the size will increase from the activity and that could lead to very serious consequences. Also a very very fast beat in an effort to supply more blood/orygen will not provide enough time for the heart chamber to fill and that would exacerbate the problem and there will decompensation.

Treating the symptom/sign with medication will almost always prevent the above cited conditions, but if possible the underlying cause should be identified and treated.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #6

Excelsoir HB User

Yes, Tachycardia is a symptom, not a disease, so the cause must be established before suitable treatment can be commenced.In itself it may not mean much at all. Anxiety or excitement, for example, can raise the heart rate quite a bit as can too much coffee etc. What is the medication he is taking ? And has his doctor said anything about the possible cause of a higher than normal heart rate. A "normal" RESTING rate is seen to be about 70 beats per minute (bpm), but this can vary quite a bit between individuals without meaning any cardiac problems.Not being medically qualified or having access to your boyfriend's medical history, means that the only sensible advise I can give you is to see a well qualified person about a possible cardiac problem.Good Luck. Keep us posted.
Excelsior

Old 10-26-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
(female)

r0cky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkeith
Heart rate over 100 is considered tachycardia. Someone young and healthy and well conditioned from sport's activity should have a HR in the sixties or less (at rest).
That is most certainly not true. A NORMAL heart rate is anywhere from 60 to 100 beats per minute. While it is true that athletes can have a lower resting heart rate, I would not go so far as to say that someone "young" "should" have a resting heart rate in the "sixties or less" .... in fact, just as having over 100 bpm can signify tachycardia, having less than 60 bpm can signify bradycardia.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

not go so far as to say that someone "young" "should" have a resting heart rate in the "sixties or less" ....

Don't take it personally! I'm differentiating young, healthy , and well conditioned with HR around 60 BP from the average aged person who doesn't eat properly, doesn't exercise, and is overweight. It is the underlying condition that determines the seriousness or lack therof when considering HR as a symptom not just the number and that fits some category!

Old 10-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
(female)

r0cky HB User

Not taking it personally, my resting heart rate is around 60 bpm and I am young, healthy, and well conditioned. That said, the normal - as you would hear from any doctor - is 60-100 bpm for the "normal" "healthy" person. Saying that it "should be in the sixties or less" is misleading to the original poster and the problem discussed. In fact, if a normal person had a heart rate of less than 60, and he/she wasn't some year-round marathon runner, I would suggest that they check with a doctor as well. A heart rate can be too slow.

But I agree with you, what's most important is the condition of the person, because as we both mentioned, athletes will of course have slower heart rates than non-athletes.

(not trying to argue with you here, i just didn't want the original poster to read that comment about "heart rate should be in the sixties or less" and worry more.)

Old 10-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #10
(female)

r0cky HB User

I mean, if I didn't know anything further and I read your comment about the 60 bpm or less being normal, I'd think I was dying right now!

Old 10-27-2005, 12:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0cky
I mean, if I didn't know anything further and I read your comment about the 60 bpm or less being normal, I'd think I was dying right now!
My position remains that 5% higher than 100 HB (105) at rest is a medical concern. But 5% below 60 (57) is of little concern if any and with the right circumstances enables a person's well-being in the long run. And statistics show with everything else equal a person with a lower heart rate has a longer survival expectation. That speaks for itself.

A fast heart beat can and often overworks the heart to the extent that in time the system begins to compensate causing serious meidical problems.

At the present time my HR at rest is a little over 60, but before going to ER my HB was, for several days, consistently higher than 100 at rest. I was shocked to hear I had/have heart failure, and I urge anyone with a HB over 100 at rest seek medical consultation. If the underlying reason for HB < 60 is being healthy and well-conditioned don't worry but keep on doing what is right to maintain a healthy life.

Closed Thread