It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
(male)

spencer123 HB User
Adrenaline Rush/ Anxiety

If some of you have read my last post you would know that i have a high heart rate and i also have an anxiety disorder. I'm so used to having this elevated heart rate that when i'm extremely relaxed (in bed or not worrying about my heart just chillin on tha couch) i take my pulse just to make sure its not real high. As i put my hand on my chest i feel nothing for a brief second...This is immediately followed be an extreme adrenaline rush that makes me feel like i'm floating and cant see for a minute and then my heart starts to beat extremely hard. This has happened twice. When i lay on my right side my heart beat is more faint (maybe because bones are something shield it?) and that is one time that it has happened and the second time i was browsing these forums and i was really relaxed and it happened. I strongly dont think that it actually stopped because even before i get the adrenaline rush i can feel it beat. Is this adrenaline rush just because i THOUGHT my heart stopped beating? I also get fluttering sensations in my chest and very very fast palpitation (just one) and i get a sense of lightheadedness for maybe half a second afterwards. I'm wondering if this is from anxiety because i do have that. These symptoms only appear when i'm really worried about my heart or when i'm in a panic attack. i went to the ER one time and had an ekg and blood test done which were both normal and i went to my pcp to follow up and he said he knew there was nothing wrong with my heart and he didnt even want to refer me to a cardiologist but i decided to go ahead and make the referral to be on the safeside. I'm so obsessed with the fact that i might have a medical condition that i seriously thought i have had the following conditions.

A Fib
Pulmonary Artery Disease
Multiple System Atrophy (shy drager)
CHF
Cardiomyopathy
Cancer

I'm considering seeing some kind of counselor to help me deal with this obsessiveness.

I think about my heart CONSTANLY every day (when i say constantly i mean literally every second except for those times when i forget about it for a brief time then i remember and take the pulse and then the rush comes.)

My mom is worried sick because i always am down or depressed or panicky over my heart.

I just wanna know if anybody has this because of a heart problem they thought they had that was actually benign and if somebody could put some input on how to deal with anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
(female)

MrsPM HB User
Re: Adrenaline Rush/ Anxiety

I know how you feel all too well
I have both anxiety and was diagnosed with a certain kind of tachycardia. It sounds to me that your sudden increase in heart rate is an adrenaline rush because you experience it when you are paying attention to your heart rate. You probably get anxiety over your thinking that your heart's not beating normally, so therefore the rate increases. Try not to think about it and keep yourself busy to keep your mind off it.
I could bet money that my tachycardia is adrenaline related. I experience it when I'm nervous, excited or from physiological stress like exercise. My doctor put me on a beta blocker which helps block the adrenaline.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
(male)

spencer123 HB User

When the body is going through stressful times either physically or mentally does the brain release adrenaline? I thought adrenaline was only released when the fight or flight reaction is in place.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Spencer, the body absolutely releases adrenaline when you are psychologically or emotionally stressed (that's what causes a panic attack!). I think you definitely should see a counselor. It sounds like you really do have an anxiety disorder and NOT a heart condition. Heart phobias are pretty common, and a good psychologist should be able to help you overcome your obsession about it.

Last edited by Timber; 08-10-2005 at 07:22 AM.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
(female)

cupcake37 HB User

Hello Spencer, I read your post, although it was from last yr, I hope you get mine. I know all too well what you are talking about. I absolutely think of my heartbeat every minute of the day, and the only time I don't think about it, is when I forget for a moment.I too get that adrenaline feeling, I feel it in my stomach, it is like a weird pressure feeling.
I feel every little flutter and it drives me crazy.
Take care

Last edited by cupcake37; 06-30-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
(male)

Ken289 HB User

You might consider searching for articles/sites on meditation. Dean Ornish prescribes this for his heart patients (among other things). I have done it in the past, and while it takes practice and discipline, it can result in a relaxed state (while you are doing it). Perhaps after practice and doing it awhile, the relaxed state would carry over and you would be less anxious about your condition.

Closed Thread