It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
(male)

swoosh HB User
Pulled chest muscle or heart

Like 2 weeks ago i began recieving pains down both arms[moreso the right] with a slight pain in my upper back. However,no chest pains if any. Anyways, I feel weak and hard to breathe at times but not often. The last 4 days I was sympton free no pains nothing. I decided to go lift some weights today and the symptons returned. My chest is tight but not in the middle of the chest but above it, like half way between the throat and heart. My arm pain is not bad at all its actually weak but my chest is tight with shortness of breath.

Could a pulled chest muscle or neck muscle cause these symptons? Im hoping i just reaggravted a pulled chest muscle. If I went 2 weeks, with being sympton free for 4 straight days would that elimnate a heart problem or heartattack??

Old 08-16-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Pulled chest muscle or heart

"Two weeks symptom free eliminate heart problem or heart attack?"

ABSOLUTELY NOT! You are experiencing the classic symptoms of coronary artery blockage. If this is true, you run the risk of heart muscle without medical treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
(female)

mayansun HB User

With all due respect to the earlier post, it seems inappropriate to tell someone they are absolutely experiencing a heart attack (or anything else for that matter). Unless you are a medical doctor who has examined the person and can say that I am concerned that such proclamations can cause more harm then good.

Perhaps it makes more sense to guide people to a medical professional (ER, doctor etc) because the symptoms sounds worrisome etc.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
(male)

swoosh HB User

Imincollege now and have no insurance bcuz of it. Could it be anything else? I think im going to go get checked out.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayansun
With all due respect to the earlier post, it seems inappropriate to tell someone they are absolutely experiencing a heart attack (or anything else for that matter). Unless you are a medical doctor who has examined the person and can say that I am concerned that such proclamations can cause more harm then good.

Perhaps it makes more sense to guide people to a medical professional (ER, doctor etc) because the symptoms sounds worrisome etc.
Correction to your criticism. I stated swoosh is experiencing the signs/symptoms of ischemia. The "absolutely not" refers specifically to the time statement, and if that 2 week duration would indicate there is no heart problem? I wish I had had some warning. I developed heart failure (LV muscle damage) without any prior warning until it was too late for a stent or bypass to provide sufficient blood to an area that needed a better supply. Fortunately, over a period of time collateral vessels was/is providing some relief.

In all due respect, your statement unless one is "guided" to seek help, and use the word "worrisome" to describe symptoms doesn't make sense, I say to you that is ridiculous. Most of us on this forum are grownup and are free to accept or reject comments, and use our best judgment whether or not to see a professional; and what benefit would there be to use the word worrisome!?

The focus of my response was on the 2 week interval without pain and pain location when there was pain. It is symptomatic of ischemia, and one should not fret and worry but see a cardiologist as soon as possible to avoid possible heart muscle damage. Feeling of weak, tired and breatlessness are also valid symptoms.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

swoosh,

A BIG difference is that chest wall problems usually respond to body positions and usually hurt like HELL when you try to take an extremely deep breath.

Heart ischemia is independent of body position and breath...it's more steady. Coronary ischemia comes on with moderate to intense excercise but goes away within 5 minutes of sitting still; Chest wall pain will continue the same during rest.

Chest wall problems are much more common...and that DEEP BREATH PAIN is really a good way to separate the two; it's almost impossible to do with costochondritis. (I know, I just got over a bout)

Last edited by Lenin; 08-17-2005 at 06:37 AM.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin:
I know you know and the definitions and understanding on your part is an oversight and not confusion!

But for some clarification heart ischemia means lack of blood supply to the heart. There may or may not be pain. I had silent ischemia and did not have any symptoms until I had symptoms for heart failure (pulmonary edema)!!

Angina refers to pain due to ischemia. Angina may or may not be present with ischemia.

It is correct, if angina is present, there will be relief quickly depending on one's physical condition.

swoosh,
An EKG and x-rays are relatively inexpensive. It could save you money in the long run and give you peace of mind. The pain location, the exertion component, shortness of breath, feeling weak and tired cannot rule out ischemia.

It is possible there could be the interaction of a thyroid problem, lung problem, muscle strain and poor physical condition. What is your heart rate and blood pressure?

Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
(male)

swoosh HB User

My blood pressure last time I checked[last week] was 130 over 83. Heart rate was 85. Would this be any indication of a problem.

About the pain, it didnt last for 5min and went away but for about 5 hours. The only thing bugging me now is shortness of breath. My neck near the adams apple feels like its pushing in from each side kinda choking me. When you said thyroid isnt that around there. Im just tight right under that area too. I have no arm pain, chest pain,etc just that.

Right before this all started I been on a diet and working out like crazy[running]. Perhaps I overexerted myself. Thanks for the help too Ken.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I also have chest wall pain (costochrondritis), gone to the Dr. so many times with this. I can have this for weeks at a time, it goes away and comes back. It hurts to take deep breath and also with arm movement or applying pressure to the area. Mine gets so bad sometimes that clothing bothers me. In fact about 2 months ago I started gtting sharp shooing pains across the upper chest from one side to another, I had these before but never for a prolonged period of time, after 16 hours of it I went to the ER, had the monitoring, xays, blood work and ekg, the Dr. said it was a nerve being trapped by a muscle spasm and dxed chest wall pan.
My Dr. told me if you press on the area and it hurts more or with arm movement it is muscular.

It is always better to get things checked out, I get an echo done yearly for left ventricular hypertrophy and slight mitral reguratation, I am being told this pain has nothing to do with the heart.

My husband just suffered a heart attack 5 weeks ago, He had a 100% and a 80% blockage, had stents put in. He never was short of breath, had a stress test done last year and a thallium steess test done less than three years ago and both were fine, so much for them. He never had high chol, was very active but does have controlled high b/p.

For peace of mind get checked out, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 08-17-2005, 03:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I also have chest wall pain (costochrondritis), gone to the Dr. so many times with this. I can have this for weeks at a time, it goes away and comes back. It hurts to take deep breath and also with arm movement or applying pressure to the area. Mine gets so bad sometimes that clothing bothers me. In fact about 2 months ago I started gtting sharp shooing pains across the upper chest from one side to another, I had these before but never for a prolonged period of time, after 16 hours of it I went to the ER, had the monitoring, xays, blood work and ekg, the Dr. said it was a nerve being trapped by a muscle spasm and dxed chest wall pan.
My Dr. told me if you press on the area and it hurts more or with arm movement it is muscular.

It is always better to get things checked out, I get an echo done yearly for left ventricular hypertrophy and slight mitral reguratation, I am being told this pain has nothing to do with the heart.

My husband just suffered a heart attack 5 weeks ago, He had a 100% and a 80% blockage, had stents put in. He never was short of breath, had a stress test done last year and a thallium steess test done less than three years ago and both were fine, so much for them. He never had high chol, was very active but does have controlled high b/p.

For peace of mind get checked out, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 08-18-2005, 08:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh
My blood pressure last time I checked[last week] was 130 over 83. Heart rate was 85. Would this be any indication of a problem.

About the pain, it didnt last for 5min and went away but for about 5 hours. The only thing bugging me now is shortness of breath. My neck near the adams apple feels like its pushing in from each side kinda choking me. When you said thyroid isnt that around there. Im just tight right under that area too. I have no arm pain, chest pain,etc just that.

Right before this all started I been on a diet and working out like crazy[running]. Perhaps I overexerted myself. Thanks for the help too Ken.
The thyroid galand produces a hormone that in part regulates the functionality of the body's system. Hypothroidism (low output) can cause symptoms similar to a heart problem. But your HR and BP appears to be normal.

Your age almost rules out angina for your pain. Ischemia due to clogged arteries usually takes many years to buildup. It is an older person's disorder... but with eating junk food, overweight, lack of exercise, and smoking it may cause a younger person a problem!!?

A complete blood count that will include a test for cholesterol and electrolytes (especially potassium) may provide useful information. Low potassium level can cause muscular discomfort and cramps. CBC also provides some visibility into kidneys, liver, and heart functions by analyzing enzymes.

Last edited by started04; 08-18-2005 at 08:41 AM.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #12
(male)

swoosh HB User

I had it checked out with an ekg and doctor visit and she said it was fine. Thats for helping ken, I appericate your input.

Only thing I have left now is a muscle spasm on my left side right next to the armpit. It feels like I have two differnt heartbeats. Thanks again

Old 08-24-2005, 08:23 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks, we appreciate feedback. Hope it works out OK.

Closed Thread