It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 05:27 AM   #1
(female)

Eeyore1973 HB User
Rapid heart rate after eating?

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of thing before? Lately after I eat about 30minutes later my heartrate is about 110-130 beats per minute. I don't know if this could be anxeity related since I do have a panic disorder and I am under alot of stress. It still seems really werid. Can stress do this to a person? I am 31 with cardiomyopathy and when this happeneds it kicks my panic into overdrive. It is like a viscous cycle Last week it happened when I was driving and I was so nervous I almost got into an accident just trying to get off the road. I took 3 Xanax that didn't do anything until about 45mins later. I swear my heart rate had to be close to 150 that day and I couldn't get it to stop. I am very nervous about this and I am starting to be afraid to eat. I tried to get in with a doctor but no one can see me until October. I made an appointment with a PA for Friday but, I really just want to see an MD right now.I may just cancel. They are bellow an NP so it is probally not worth going. I called my cardio also and they are booked until next month. 9/16 is my appointment with them. I don't know what to do. Can someone here give me some piece of mind until then Please.
Thanks!!

Old 08-17-2005, 06:02 AM   #2
(male)

richdaws1984 HB User
Re: Rapid heart rate after eating?

Eating does increase the heart rate. I dont know why, i presume that as your body digests the food i suppose your heart is required to do more work. Lots of people experience this. Perhaps someone else can expand?

Panic disorders, worrying and heart problems are all triggers for each other. If you panic your heart beats faster, then you worry and panic more and so your heart beats even faster. Its a viscous cycle which is hard to break.

I do it myself, i get worked up and everything just gets worse and worse until i end up thinking im about to die!

Its really hard but try not to let it worry you and dont focus on it. Once you get your heart out of your head you wont notice it.

Just keep your doctors appointments and get it checked/sorted out. Its the only way you will be satisfied that there is probable nothing at all wrong!

Take it easy dude!!

Last edited by richdaws1984; 08-17-2005 at 06:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2005, 06:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Eeyore,
It's normal for everyone to increase his heart rate SOME after eating to get more blood into the digestive tract presumably.
Yours is, of course, quite a bit higher than normal but maybe it's a way for a cardiomyopathic heart to get more blood to the gut; since each beat has less blood than normal, more beats might be required.

If a doctor can't see you in less than 2 months for something you consider very serious, then your doctor should IMMEDIATELY become your EX-doctor. What is the use of having a prima-donna like that in charge of your health? If he were a GOOD doctor, he COULD cancel one of his golf games!

Old 08-17-2005, 08:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

It happens to me all the time, especially if the meal I ate was salty or sugary. Try for a week or two to eat blander food with a lot less salt in it, and drink plenty of water after you eat, and see if that helps at all. It helps me a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to Timber For This Useful Post:
sunchip (08-20-2012)
Old 08-17-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

It's possible you got atrial flutter or atrial tachycardia, for both the symptoms are a very fast, steady heartbeat. I just know how you feel. Many years ago when I first started to have that problem, I also got very panicky. Finally I went to a cardiologist and he gave me a stress test and some other tests and I found out that I have a healthy heart, and my racing heart is atrial flutter. It's a "electrical" problem and many people have it. If your heart goes back to a normal beat within about 2 hours I would not worry until you see your doctor. I have these periods of racing heart for many years now and I'm still around and kicking. The doctor prescribed pills for me to take when I have an episode, but I don't really take them right away, I wait to see if the episode stops by itself and normally it does within an hour.

Laura

Old 08-17-2005, 07:19 PM   #6
(female)

MrsPM HB User

I also get a fast heartbeat after eating. One thing that helped me before I started taking a beta blocker was doing something to get my mind off my heart rate. I usually noticed my heartbeat while sitting or lying down. So I would make myself get up and do something, like straighten up the house, do some laundry, etc. If I would do something physical it would not only make me forget about it but also a little bit of physical activity is good for the heart.

Closed Thread