It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Swelling with heart problem question

I am wanting to know, if a person has heart problems and has foot swelling with the problem, is it usually both feet that would have the swelling or can it just be one foot and ankle? Also, if a person has asthma, how do you know if it is asthma related or a heart problem? I am 43 years old, don't eat that healthy, don't do too much excercise, and don't drink alot of liquid in a day. I am working on it, but it's hard to change. I am about 10 pounds over weight for my height. Can someone help me on this? Thanks to all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Re: Swelling with heart problem question

does anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 06:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
I am wanting to know, if a person has heart problems and has foot swelling with the problem, is it usually both feet that would have the swelling or can it just be one foot and ankle?
In my case, when I used to have foot swelling, it was mostly in my right foot and ankle.

Quote:
Also, if a person has asthma, how do you know if it is asthma related or a heart problem?
This is not easy. The labored breathing that I get is very similar, whether it is heart related or asthma related. I'll try a nitro under my tongue. If that doesn't help with the breathing, I'll try my asthma rescue inhaler.

Quote:
I am 43 years old, don't eat that healthy, don't do too much excercise, and don't drink alot of liquid in a day. I am working on it, but it's hard to change. I am about 10 pounds over weight for my height. Can someone help me on this? Thanks to all!
The two best "medicines" for heart disease, or for general health, are exercise and a good diet. Better said than done, right?

Good luck!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-16-2005 at 06:04 AM.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Thank You for your response. Does anyone else have one or both feet that swell with a heart condition? By the way Beerzoids, what kind of heart condition do you have and how was it diagnosed? What kind of symptoms did you have to make you go to the doctor?

Old 08-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
By the way Beerzoids, what kind of heart condition do you have and how was it diagnosed? What kind of symptoms did you have to make you go to the doctor?
I have heart failure, high blood pressure, and atrial fibrillation. This was diagnosed about 20 years ago. I had been suffering from chronic tachycardia, followed by increasing breathing difficulties, especially when lying down. I checked into a heart hospital, expecting a prescription or a shot, and expecting to be sent home. They diagnosed me as having heart failure and kept me in the hospital for a while.

Last year was the first time that I had swelling, mostly of my right foot and ankle. At first it was mostly my right foot and ankle, but my lower leg started to swell along with my left foot, ankle and leg. My blood pressure had gotten too high, mostly as a result of my reducing my blood pressure medications and as a result of my bad diet. It scared the hell out of me. However, I didn't check with the doctor. I increased my diuretic and restored one of my blood pressure meds back to normal dosage, which reduced my blood pressure. It resulted in the swelling going away after a few days. It scared me enough to go on a "whole grain", low calorie, frequent feeding, diet for the first time in my life, which has really had a significantly positive impact on my health.

Do you have heart problems? High blood pressure? Heart palpitations? Over-sweating? Fatigue or weakness? Chest pains? What kind of symptoms do you have?

Old 08-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Beerzoids,

I have mild swelling across my left foot and on one side of that ankle. Heart palpitations??? I don't know. I don't have high B/P. I do have anxiety which seems to bump up the heart beats at times. Fatigue??? I don't think so, I mean, when does one know when fatigue becomes a medical issue?? Don't have chest pain and I really don't sweat. I do get hot (maybe hot flashes?) but not that often. I do have asthma, GERD, and allergies. I do get winded when I do certain things like bend down to get things out of the laundry basket that's on the floor but then I get my breath back. I can go bowling and be okay for the most part and not have to use my inhaler except MAYBE one time.I'm about 10 lbs over weight according to my height/weight chart and I don't excercise on a regular basis and my diet does really suck. I am big time into the sweets and junk food. I don't know Beer if I should see a Cardiologist or not. How long does your breathlessness last with your condition? Does an inhaler work for you or how do you get relief?

Old 08-20-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Beerzoids,

I have mild swelling across my left foot and on one side of that ankle. Heart palpitations??? I don't know. I don't have high B/P. I do have anxiety which seems to bump up the heart beats at times. Fatigue??? I don't think so, I mean, when does one know when fatigue becomes a medical issue?? Don't have chest pain and I really don't sweat.
There are so many possible reasons for foot and ankle swelling. You certainly don't have the more common signs of heart disease, except for the difficulty breathing, which could be related to your asthma.

Here is what Medline has to say about Foot, leg, and ankle swelling:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003104.htm

Considerations
Painless swelling of the feet and ankles is a common problem, particularly in older people. It may affect both legs and may include the calves or even the thighs. Because of the effect of gravity, swelling is particularly noticeable in these locations.

Common Causes
Foot, leg, and ankle swelling is common with the following situations:

* Prolonged standing
* Long airplane flights or automobile rides
* Menstrual periods (for some women)
* Pregnancy -- excessive swelling may be a sign of pre-eclampsia, a serious condition sometimes called toxemia, that includes high blood pressure and swelling
* Being overweight
* Increased age
* Injury or trauma to your ankle or foot

Swollen legs may be a sign of heart failure, kidney failure, or liver failure. In these conditions, there is too much fluid in the body.

Other conditions that can cause swelling to one or both legs include:
* Blood clot
* Leg infection
* Venous insufficiency (when the veins in your legs are unable to adequately pump blood back to the heart)
* Varicose veins
* Burns (including sunburn)
* Insect bite or sting
* Starvation or malnutrition
* Surgery to your leg or foot

Certain medications may also cause your legs to swell:

* Hormones like estrogen (in birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy) and testosterone
* A group of blood pressure lowering drugs called calcium channel blockers (such as nifedipine, amlodipine, diltiazem, felodipine, and verapamil)
* Steroids
* Antidepressants, including MAO inhibitors (such as phenelzine and tranylcypromine) and tricyclics (such as nortriptyline, desipramine, and amitriptyline)

Quote:
I do get hot (maybe hot flashes?) but not that often. I do have asthma, GERD, and allergies. I do get winded when I do certain things like bend down to get things out of the laundry basket that's on the floor but then I get my breath back.
When my heart failure was worse I had difficulty breathing when bending down to tie my shoe. Now I can tie my shoe without any breathing problems. But, I have also read that it is quite normal for some people to have breathing difficulties while bending down, especially those with breathing disorders like asthma.

Quote:
I can go bowling and be okay for the most part and not have to use my inhaler except MAYBE one time.I'm about 10 lbs over weight according to my height/weight chart and I don't excercise on a regular basis and my diet does really suck. I am big time into the sweets and junk food.
Well..... you are doing all the wrong things relating to diet and exercise. As we get older, our systems can't handle excess calories. In my case, I have to be really careful eating carbohydrates, or too many calories. If I consume too many calories at one sitting, I will have breathing problems which can last all night long. It took me a long time to figure out why eating carbs, especially at night, were giving me such nasty, long lasting breathing difficulties. I finally found out that it was because I was Insulin Resistant.

Quote:
I don't know Beer if I should see a Cardiologist or not. How long does your breathlessness last with your condition? Does an inhaler work for you or how do you get relief?
You might consider a better diet and some exercise, first, to see if it makes you feel better and improves your symptoms. A form of exercise which is relatively easy to do, and can improve one's health is just to walk from one end of your apartment, or home, to another, while listening to music, for 20 minutes, twice a day. It is very relaxing, goes very quickly, doesn't require special equipment, except for the cd player, or radio, and becomes habit forming fast.

When was the last time you had a checkup and a complete blood test? You might consider doing that to check your entire system out, and hopefully put your mind at rest.

If you are interested in the type of diet that has really helped me, follow the following link to

Health Issues > High & Low Blood Pressure >
Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229

I have read that about one in every four Americans are Insulin Resistance, which can be caused by consuming too many calories/carbohydrates over too long a period of time.

Regards, and best of luck!

Last edited by Machaon; 08-20-2005 at 05:07 PM.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Insulin resistant...does that mean diabetes? I had a CBC done last July and everything was fine. Would a simple CBC show anything? If you have heart failure, does that mean you're a ticking time bomb? Thank you so much for your info and taking the time to write everything. Diet and excercise...the two hardest things for me and the rest of the world!

Old 08-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Insulin resistant...does that mean diabetes?
Insulin Resistance is the condition that preceeds Diabetes Type II. It didn't show up in my blood tests (CBC). My blood sugar was always within range.

Quote:
I had a CBC done last July and everything was fine. Would a simple CBC show anything?
Glad to hear that everything was fine. People who are insulin resistant may have higher blood sugar levels, but in many cases, their blood sugar levels are normal. What happens is, after years of the body taking in too many calories, the pancreas keeps chugging out more insulin to keep up with the excess calories. The body can't handle the increased insulin, so our amazing systems try to protect itself from the excess insulin by becoming resistant to it. The only problem is that when our systems get insulin resistant, there are many symptoms and nasty side effects. If a change isn't made to the diet, the pancreas eventually wears out from producing the increased amounts of insulin, and the person gets Diabetes type II.

Quote:
If you have heart failure, does that mean you're a ticking time bomb?
I've been struggling with it for about 20 years. I've noticed that, as I get older, it gets more difficult to keep under control, but I am still doing well. With the proper diet, exercise and the great meds that have been discovered, heart failure is no longer an automatic death sentence.

Quote:
Thank you so much for your info and taking the time to write everything. Diet and excercise...the two hardest things for me and the rest of the world!
Diet and exercise...... easier said then done. I didn't go to the very strict insulin resistant diet until I was forced to because of increasingly bad symptoms.

There are major changes going on in our country because of the knowledge that has been learned about Insulin Resistance. It's becoming big news. If you go into a grocery store, you will notice that a large number of breakfast cereals and breads are using whole grains.

If you are interested in doing some research on "Insulin Resistance", you can also look up "Syndrome X" or "Metabolic Syndrome" which all relate to the same issue.

Last edited by Machaon; 08-20-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Old 08-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Thanks again Beers! Cheers and glad to hear that you are doing okay!!!

Old 09-14-2005, 04:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Beers,

do you mind if I ask your age 40's, 50's 60's....I still don't have any answers and don't know where to look anymore.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

singer,

Yes, edema of the extremities and lungs are both part of the picture of a heart slowly failing.
Can you RUN reasonably fast for 5 minutes (or medium speed for 10 minutes.) That's running, not jogging. What kind of symptoms do you deveop? Any pain, shortness of breath?

If you can't manage that run, perhaps a stress test with a nuclear scan should be done. An echogram also to check heart size is a good idea.

Have your kidneys checked out. THey are often the souce of edema . A low salt diet might help a lot or thiazides if the low salt plan is too aggravating (it CAN be!)

Old 09-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Lenin,

I get short of breath but I also have allergies and asthma and acid reflux. Sometimes, I just go up the stairs and I am short of breath but then I do my nebulizer for a few minutes and then everything is okay. I am wondering though, if you have any kind of heart failure, if a nebulizer or inhaler would take away the shortness of breath. I don't know. How long can one live with heart failure? That sounds so scarey! I am 43 and I have also had chronic back pain and recently, I have had a specific pain in an area right under my rib on the left side that if I turn a certain way, I can feel it and when I sit up on my side and breathe but not all the time do I feel it. I do have a kidney stone stuck pretty tightly in a spot where it doesn't interfere with urination or anything (knock on wood). So, I don't know. I also have anxiety at times, so there again, I don't know. Would a pelvic exam show anything as far as any kidney problems? I remember a friend of mine went to the urologist and she did a pelvic exam and I thought that was kind of strange. What are they looking for?

Old 09-15-2005, 06:41 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Another question. When you said swelling in the extremities and lungs..do the lungs hurt at all? Is the swelling on both sides or can it be on just one side? Thanks for your replies!

Old 09-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I don't think a nebulizer for asthma would have much effect on the shortenss of breath cause by lung edema from heart failure...so that's good! BUT you can have both!

Best is to get some testing done. A good ultrasound can get an estimate of your heart's ejection fraction which is the percentage of the ventricles capacity that is actually pushed out at each beat (but don't quote me there) and the heart's size.

Edema in the lungs is usually not painful but results in the inability to sleep comfortable on one's back...sufferers commomly sleep in recliners. Coughing is common.

See a good cardiologist. If you want to wait, ask your GP to prescribe a diuretic and see if that does a good job on your edema...it might.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-18-2005 at 08:16 AM.

Closed Thread