It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
What are the best TESTS to rule BLOCKAGE or Heart Problems?

Hi Guys I am going to see my medical doctor tomorrow and he will send me for a test to check blockage, but i am wondering what test would be best to show bloackages or heart problems,is teh cardiac MRI? the best or the angiogram please let me know, my doc doesnt know much about heart problems but he says he can send me to get a heart test done at the hospital, i already had a nuclear stress test which showed normal about 4 months ago, and had an ekg a few weeks ago.

but since i have been getting symptoms like chest pain, dizziness, neck pain, I just want to make sure I have no heart condition before i start working out on my treadmill everyday, i also have hypothyroid that goes hand in hand with heart disease.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: What are the best TESTS to rule BLOCKAGE or Heart Problems?

Hi thanks for your reply are those the same as Cardiac MRI? I am wondering what test is really accurate, anyway i will look up info on the 2 you mentioned thanks a bunch

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
(female)

mayansun HB User

I haven't had a cardiac angiogram but have had a cerebral angiogram (to confirm location of an aneurysm) but the technique is similar and there are risks associated including heart attack and stroke (it is an invasive test) but I have read on countless sites that a cardiac angio is by many accounts the gold standard for diagnosing blockages. You should know all the options and the risks in order to make an informed choice

That said it seems there is a lot of news about using MRI or ultrasound but I think it depends on the hospitals in your area as to how advanced the technology is that you would have access to. I would suspect your doctor could outline the options for you or direct you to a cardiologist who could before you have any tests.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
(female)

jung_29 HB User

hello,is MRI scanning considered invasive?

Old 09-14-2005, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Cardiac MRI is going to BECOME thegold standard, but it's not there yet.

MUCH BETTER is a stress test with nuclear imaging that will clearly show any area of the heart being starved for nutrients on hard exertion.
BEST and the current gold standard is catheter (percutaneous) angiogram. Make sure that it's done by a cardiologist who is equipped to do an angioplasty ans stent on the spot so you don;t have 2 invasive procedures when everything can be done in one.

Usually the routine is to get an echogram or a stress echo with an EKG to determine any gross defects of heart structure. Then the stress-nuclear scan and then finally the catheter angiogram to pinpoint obstructions.

I skipped the nuclear scan because my angina symptoms were so pronounced, a text-book case.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Without a doubt heart cath is the best after predecessor tests as it precisely measures pressures inside the heart and pulmonary arteries, efficiently factor for the heart's pumping ability, and the degree of buildup of plaque in the arteries.

This is the diagnostic cath which uses cath tools to find and clear blockages and take measurement. Also, if necessary can take tissue for a biopsy.

MRI provides the doctor with a very high quality, custom made pictures of the heart inside and out. It is only a snapshot and does not and never will provide realtime information such as valve gradient of the working heart, pressures, EF, etc.

These tests and other tests as well have limitations and one is better than another depending on the circumstances, what is to be measured, and serious consideration given to cost, risk/benefit, etc. One would not be subjected to a cath without prior knowledge or belief of ischemia.

Last edited by started04; 09-15-2005 at 08:18 AM.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:53 AM   #7
(female)

BRITEHEART HB User
Red face Re: What are the best TESTS to rule BLOCKAGE or Heart Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyVee
Hi Guys I am going to see my medical doctor tomorrow and he will send me for a test to check blockage, but i am wondering what test would be best to show bloackages or heart problems,is teh cardiac MRI? the best or the angiogram please let me know, my doc doesnt know much about heart problems but he says he can send me to get a heart test done at the hospital, i already had a nuclear stress test which showed normal about 4 months ago, and had an ekg a few weeks ago.

but since i have been getting symptoms like chest pain, dizziness, neck pain, I just want to make sure I have no heart condition before i start working out on my treadmill everyday, i also have hypothyroid that goes hand in hand with heart disease.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:56 AM   #8
(female)

BRITEHEART HB User

Dear Jennyvee,
My Doctor Just Sent Me For Reg. Blood Work. Included Was The New
Blood Test Called "crp" C-reactive Proteins. That Is What It Stands For.
It Checks Inflamation In The Body, That Can Lead To Someone Having A
Heart Attack. It Is New, But Very Much Talked About. It Is Worth Having.
Good Luck. Hope To Hear How You Made Out.
Briteheart

Old 09-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi briteheart, and thx for the info, I am actually supposed to have a nuclear stress test on thursday. 2nd one in 3 months, I am thinking of notgoing to have it done, I rather they do another test, but of course my doc doesnt know much about anything, I will ask for that blood test I think I saw a show on tv that talked about it, what other tests have you had done.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRITEHEART
Dear Jennyvee,
My Doctor Just Sent Me For Reg. Blood Work. Included Was The New
Blood Test Called "crp" C-reactive Proteins. That Is What It Stands For.
It Checks Inflamation In The Body, That Can Lead To Someone Having A
Heart Attack. It Is New, But Very Much Talked About. It Is Worth Having.
Good Luck. Hope To Hear How You Made Out.
Briteheart
Admitted to ER for heart problem, I had the routine tests that included CRP. It was high, but I workout with weights and benign damaged cells from skeletal muscles produces a high level as well. I researched the subject because my level was high:

"Whatís creating all the buzz is a test for a substance called C-reactive protein, or CRP. Itís not a new test; C-reactive protein was first identified in the 1930s. Nor is it yet the definitive breakthrough in diagnosing risk for coronary artery disease in every patient, says cardiologist David S. Marks, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin and Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at Froedtert & Medical College Clinics. Dr.Marks has been ordering the CRP test on selected patients for several years."

The protein is found in the brain, heart and skeletal muscles. Levels begin to rise within 4 to 6 hours of a heart attack, it peaks in 18 to 24 hours and returns to normal in a few days. This information is useful to determine if there has been an acute MI. I'm not sure how the test determines inflammation and then uses that information to predict a risk for CAD.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I was just doing some research on crp, there is also a hs-crp which is for the heart. The site said people with arthritis or who are not feeling well should not have it done because it will be high. I had the hs-crp done and mine was 4.2, normal is to 3.0, my Dr. said nothing about, I always ask for a copy of my blood work and saw it was elevated. my Dr. is very pro active when it comes to health care so I guess she is not worried about it.

My husband recently had a heart attack and we have copys of all his blood work, his crp was never checked, just the enzymes.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Last edited by pa235; 09-19-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:11 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

The blood chemistry test subsequent to a MI would show levels high Creatnine, high Troponin, and high ck-mb (if there was muscle damage, ck-mb protein would be released from dead heart tissues).

Closed Thread