It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 02:55 AM   #1
(female)

gassone HB User
Question My Father is scheduled for Triple Bypass Surgery on 9/21/05

To all that have communicated with me in the past few months. My father decided to go ahead with his surgery. He is scheduled for Triple Bypass Surgery next Wednesday 9/21/05. He is 71 years old and has Type 2 diabetes.

He is currently taking Comadine, a blood thinner. isn't he suppose to stop taking this before the surgery? If so, when? They have not told him when to stop yet.

Is there anything we should know before or after that will be beneficial?
Has anyone around the same age and condition as my dear father had the same surgery that you know of? If so, what was the outcome.

Also, what is life like after the surgery? Recovery time? Will he ever be able to live a normal life again?

As you can all imagine, I am extremely scared/nervous, etc.. and probably will be until this is over.

Any comments or information will be kindly received.

Thank you in advance.

Eva Marie

Old 09-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User
Re: My Father is scheduled for Triple Bypass Surgery on 9/21/05

I think your father will be fine. I had triple bypass last summer at 61. I got through it fine with a lot of rest. I also exercised a lot too and changed my eating habits. The main thing I did was to stop smoking. I hope your father doesn'r smoke.
Last Tuesday I just had carotid surgery. I hope I'm done now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Hi there,

My mother had a double bypass and a valve replacement last summer at the age of 73.

She has other health problems (lots of them severe) but her chest/heart healed nicely.

I believe they would ask your father to stop the blood thinner a day before surgery - but I'm not a doctor so I might be wrong. Be sure to follow up on that. They will give him a list of instructions before he checks in.

Recovery is months long. He won't be able to lift, push, drive, etc. for a couple of months. We got my mom a walker with a little basket on the front so she could move around her place & carry things. I rented a "bath bench" from a local Senior Center for her too.

Your family will be given a list of EVERYTHING to expect. And the physical therapy department will work with him (and you - ask lots of questions!)

Yes, a full & wonderful life after heart surgery is not only possible but probable. My dad had a quad bypass at age 60 & he is super active now at age 74. And my mom is very healthy, cardiac-wise (her other health problems are what keeps her down).

I'm sending good thoughts your way - I know how hard it was to watch my parents go through it. I wish your father a super speedy recovery!!

Old 09-15-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
(female)

bleego HB User

Hello gassone, I am 53 and had bypass surgery in Sept 2003. My father- in- law
turned 75 this past January. He had quad bypass surgery in June this year. He has parkinsons , diabetes and his kidneys only function at 38%. He did much much better than I did with the bypass. I can tell you my cardiac thorasic surgeon and my cardiologist told me that for some reason older people do much better than people that were my age. I don't know why. I know many people in mid 70 range who have had bypass sx and been fine. It is a rough surgery. But consider how many of these have been performed, the procedure is pretty common these days. I will say a prayer for your dad, I am sure he will be just fine.
Bleego

Old 09-16-2005, 06:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Eva Marie,

Current thinking is to discontinue the coumadin 5 days before major surgery (and usually substitute heparin)...PLEASE call the doctor who is going to do the surgery and ask him TODAY what to do.
If they ask, "Is it an emergency?" say YES!

Old 09-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #6
(female)

gassone HB User

Thank you all for your reply. My father checked with his doctor and stopped the Coumadin on 9/15. He was scheduled for the surgery today 9/21/05 but Hurricane Rita caused him to postpone it until tomorrow 9/22/05
Please keep my father in your prayers and I thank each of you personally for taking the time to reply here.
May God be with you all, as well as your families....
Sincerely,
Eva Marie

Old 09-22-2005, 05:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Fingers are crossed for him today!

Closed Thread