It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 12:49 PM   #1

Mike2004 HB User
palpitations

The past few days I have been feeling by heart race and pound. At times my pulse rate was over 100 while sitting. I went to the doctor today and my EKG and blood pressure were normal. He said it could be palpiations or just anxiety. To make sure it's nothing serious I have to get a 2d echo, a cardiac event monitor and blood work. If these tests come back normal, he said he'll test for anxiety. I have a few questions. What is involved with the cardiac monitor? Will I have wires attached to me? Do I sleep with it on? Any info will help. Thanks alot

Old 09-16-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
(female)

mike&ryansmom HB User
Re: palpitations

Hi There,
The device is a small machine called the holter. Yes, it has wires and you do sleep with it on. You are the machine for 24 hours. The doctors office will hook/unhook the wires. It is really no big deal. Most of the time you can hide the device under your shirt/or sweater.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

A pulse of 100 or a little over 100 isn't dangerous, so don't be too frightened.

Yes, when you wear an event monitor you wear it overnight. You stick two electrodes to your chest, one on the right side and one on the left, and you attach a wire to each one. The wires connect to a small monitor that is about the size of a cell phone. The monitor attaches to your belt or the waist of your pants. It's pretty easy to hide. There are a few types of event monitors, but in most cases, if you feel a palpitation or a racing heart you press a button and the machine silently records your heart beat.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #4

Mike2004 HB User

I think my doc said I would be have it for 48 hours. Thanks for the info. I keep thinking of new questions, sorry if I get bothersome. Can I remove it when I take a shower?

Old 09-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

mike&ryansmom HB User

Sorry, Mike you have to be a bit smelly for 24 hours...... :
NO SHOWERS.....

Old 09-16-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

When I wore mine, I was allowed to take showers. They just told me to unsnap the wires and leave the electrodes on in the shower.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #7

Mike2004 HB User

I called the doctor's office today to schedule my echo and to get the monitor. I have an appointment for my echo on Friday and she said the monitor is mailed to me and they will give me more info when I call tomoroow to speak to the person that handles that. Has anyone had a event monitor that had to be mailed? I thought they would have to hook it up to me. I wonder how it works, anyone??

Old 09-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
(female)

r0cky HB User

I had an event monitor ... I picked it up from a cardiologist office around here but then at the end of the 30 days, I did send it back to the company that manufactured it. Who knows!

But no, they won't have to hook it up to you - you'll be hooking it up yourself. Are you getting an event monitor, or a holter monitor? The holter monitor is a continuous recording for 24 - 48 hours during which you cannot remove it (and therefore cannot take showers) mine attached with four electrodes. If, however, you're getting an event monitor, you can wear it up to 30 days, and can remove the leads to take a shower because it primarily only records when you press a button (when you are feeling palpitations) ... when I had mine, it attached with four electrodes.

It's real easy. If the doctor doesn't show you how to use it or describe it, it will probably come with a little booklet or diagram to show you where to place the electrodes and how to use it.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #9

Mike2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0cky
I had an event monitor ... I picked it up from a cardiologist office around here but then at the end of the 30 days, I did send it back to the company that manufactured it. Who knows!

But no, they won't have to hook it up to you - you'll be hooking it up yourself. Are you getting an event monitor, or a holter monitor? The holter monitor is a continuous recording for 24 - 48 hours during which you cannot remove it (and therefore cannot take showers) mine attached with four electrodes. If, however, you're getting an event monitor, you can wear it up to 30 days, and can remove the leads to take a shower because it primarily only records when you press a button (when you are feeling palpitations) ... when I had mine, it attached with four electrodes.

It's real easy. If the doctor doesn't show you how to use it or describe it, it will probably come with a little booklet or diagram to show you where to place the electrodes and how to use it.

Thanks for the input. I have to get an event monitor.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
(female)

r0cky HB User

Okay, cool, then you'll be able to remove it when necessary to shower or whatever else, and I'm sure your doctor or the instructions with the monitor will help explain better. It's really easy to use though, and you'll get used to wearing it so quickly that you'll forget you have it on!

Closed Thread