It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

gassone HB User
My Father's Bypass Surgery Results + QUESTIONS ????

My father had triple bypass surgery on Thursday 9/23/05. They also performed something called a MAZE procedure to try and correct his irregular heartbeat. The surgeon said that he had one of the worse cases of corroded arteries he has seen in almost 5 years. He said that even though he cleared the arteries, he has severe coronary artery disease. I asked if he woudl be fine and the doctor said no he will not be fine??? I am n ot suer what he means. I mean - if he takes care of himself he shoudl be fine, right? His heart muscle is strong but he explained that the area (forgive me for not knowing the LINGO) that surrounds the arteries is in very bad shape. Does anyone really know what this means?

He is still in the Hospital and they said they will plan to keep him a few more days. He seems to be doing well. He has had a few episodes where his sugar went very high (almost 300) and his heartbeat went to 150. He has type 2 diabetes, nevertheless, they claim these 2 things are normal after surgery.

2 days after surgery they put him on blood thinners. They told him that he was not having much drainage, if anything so it woudl be safe to have him on blood thinners. They put him on Plavix but I believe now switched him to Coumadin. Is this normal? Safe?

My questions are :

Does anyone know how long after the surgery are you finally out of the woords in terms of risks? can I assume that he will be ok since it has been 5 days? I am 2 weeks away from giving birth and am very worried about him. he seems to be a bit depressed and upset at times, but I sense this could be a normal reaction to being on the heart lung machine. I am not really sure, just confused, worroed and anxious.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2005, 05:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
Re: My Father's Bypass Surgery Results + QUESTIONS ????

Hi Gassone, I'm new to this particular board but my Dad had a quadruple bypass and then about 7 yrs later a triple bypass so maybe I can at least be someone who's "been there".
Being in your last few weeks of pregnancy with all the normal pregnancy hormonal shifts will add to your stress level about your Dad. (As if normal worried daughter feelings aren't enough!)
My Dad wasn't "fine" for example, because even with a quadruple bypass and meds and exercise AND my mother keeping after him - - his body just happened to manufacture WAY too much LDL all on its own. After all that he still ended up having a triple bypass down the road!
Your Dad may have another situation because of the advanced nature of the disease in his arteries, but his life will need to change no matter what!!
Depression is VERY common in men especially after open heart surgery. It's almost a part of the grief process - he has "lost" something - his health, and many Dad's (mine own included) have gone thru depression, anger, bargaining, etc after such a life altering event.

Do you have support from somene close to you now?
Well, keep in mind that you have support here too!! I'm adding this board to one's I visit since my husband had a stent put in this week and I'll be sure to stop by to see about any updates you may have added about your Dad.

Take care, your family is on my "list"!

Old 09-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: My Father's Bypass Surgery Results + QUESTIONS ????

gassone,

What his doctor was trying to say was that the worst blockages were bypassed but MANY other arteries are still compromised with plaque and might get worse with time.

I think Coumadin is a far wiser choice than Plavix.

Depression is exceedingly common after bypass. It is a situtation that directly confronts up with our very limited mortality. The "end of the road" syndrome can be overwhermingly painful to the psyche. Attitude can easily bend toward the, "It's almost over, why bother caring about anything." For some, the feeling passes.

And just to round out the situation: It hurts like HELL!

Closed Thread