It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
(male)

noaone HB User
blood clot in leg?

hi, im a 25 year old male, and lately i have had a feeling of tenderness in my left calf muscle. i have an office job, so i sit most of the day.

it started last tuesday, and i freaked out and went to the ER on Thursday. the doc did blood tests. he told me that the first signs of a clot are swelling and discoloration. there is one little spot that looks kind of bruised, and no swelling. he told me not to really worry about it.

it still comes off and on, feels better when i get up and walk. anyone know if i should worry about it? advice would be much appreciated

Old 10-31-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: blood clot in leg?

I had a blood clot in my leg, and it was a little pink, and warm and felt like a black and blue mark if I pressed on it. Is that how yours is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
(male)

noaone HB User

i have a bruise behind my knee. what should i do? the doc looked at it. im really scared right now. what are the chances of dying from this?

Old 10-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #4

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noaone
hi, im a 25 year old male, and lately i have had a feeling of tenderness in my left calf muscle. i have an office job, so i sit most of the day.

it started last tuesday, and i freaked out and went to the ER on Thursday. the doc did blood tests. he told me that the first signs of a clot are swelling and discoloration. there is one little spot that looks kind of bruised, and no swelling. he told me not to really worry about it.

it still comes off and on, feels better when i get up and walk. anyone know if i should worry about it? advice would be much appreciated
I had a clot deep in the artery in my calf and I had no swelling whatsoever. You can get superficial clots and these will produce swelling and redness. The pain from a deep arterial clot is absolutely unbearable! The pain is 1000 times more than mild tenderness.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
(male)

noaone HB User

wo what do you think that i should do? does this sound like i have a potentially life threatening condition? what do you mean by superficial?

Old 10-31-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
(male)

noaone HB User
Exclamation Re: blood clot in leg?

i also have a reddish spot on the front of my knee. can someone please advise me what to do? should i go back to the ER?

Old 10-31-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I would soak in a hot bath and take an anti-inflammatory (advil).
superficial means superficial phlebitis, (which isn't as serious) as opposed to deep vein thrombosis (which is serious).
do a search and see if any of the symptoms fit you.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
(male)

noaone HB User

well i do have shortness of breath, but i am asthmatic, so i always am.

i drank 3 cups of coffee today, and have a history of explosive anxiety. i have no swelling in my leg at all. a little discoloration, and minor pain. my pulse is at about 115, and i haven't eaten today.

i took and aspirin.

i drank alcohol last nite, and i smoke cigarettes, and i am slightly overwieght, all of which are aweful.

im not sure if i should go, or if i could wait.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

I believe you are fine and are experiencing significant health anxiety.

What you really need to do is stop drinking coffee and quite smoking. Those are both HUGGGGGGEEEE anxiety producers.

You also need to schedule an appointment with a therapist/counsler to help you deal with this anxiety.

The ER doc told you not to worry about it. Even tho I know you will anyway..try not to. I believe you are just fine.

I too have health anxiety and clots are a HUGE fear of mine. I am being treated for my anxiety and am finally living instead of viligantly being in fear of my death.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I agree with Cheers.
If every sore muscle was a like threatening clot the human race would have died out even before man got up on two legs.

Sensible wariness can often develop into hypervigilantism which in turn can result in severe anxiety and hypochondria which itself can even go to the level of psychosis.

To paraphrase Gertrude Stein..."a calf pain is a calf pain is a calf pain." We all get them and 99.5% of the time they mean absolutely nothing...perhaps inactivity and the need for stretching.

Stop worrying noanone.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:12 AM   #11
(male)

JamieProsser HB User

I have had DVT in my right calf for over one year and can't get it to dissolve with coumadin. Last week after running , I developed some pain in my left leg. My ankle and knee are both swollen but no pain in my calf. Could this be a blood clot in my left leg even though I am on coumadin?

Old 11-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #12
(male)

mgmg HB User

JamieProsser,

If you have DVT, why in the world are you running? Haven't your doctors discussed a possible filter to "catch" the clot if it moves? Also, coumadin won't necessarily dissolve a clot, your body will do that naturally, coumadin will just thin your blood so they don't form again.

Old 11-27-2005, 05:17 AM   #13
(female)

ladychecotah HB User

I pretty much asked the same question on Web MD and the nurse answered that superficial clots don't move. Deep Vein ones are the real dangerous ones.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:33 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Would the Deep Vein clots still move after 17 years?

Closed Thread